Sign in to follow this  
Usedsky123

Career transition

I am sorry if this question has been asked before.

For those of you who have applied to law school after a few years of work, what was your first career and what made you transition to law?

Are you happy with the decision?

43 minutes ago, Usedsky123 said:

I am sorry if this question has been asked before.

For those of you who have applied to law school after a few years of work, what was your first career and what made you transition to law?

Are you happy with the decision?

I've been working in a strategy consulting role for around 2 years. I know that, overall, this is probably a fiscally ineffective move due to opportunity cost and current earnings.

But having said that, I really can't do this job anymore and I would always regret never pursuing my passion and trying my hand at law.

• Like 1

I worked for a few years after undergrad in a pretty cushy position at a large financial institution. It was decently paid for a fresh-out-of-undergrad job, I really liked the people I worked with, my bosses were nice, I learned really good people and project management skills because of my work, but it was not the sort of job that made me feel fulfilled or intellectually challenged. At the same time, the teams where I worked underwent restructures not infrequently, which led to changed job titles at best and eliminated positions at worst. I wasn't sure if I would be happy sticking it out and waiting for opportunities to be promoted, because there were just so many external factors that I had no way of knowing. In that regard, the opportunity cost of giving up my job wasn't as great of a concern. Financially, going to law school was a way to increase my future earning potential for the next couple of decades, and the gains from that would exceed the amount of debt I would be taking on in tuition (while I still had to get some loans, I saved enough from my job to be able to afford a decent chunk of tuition and living expenses incurred during law school).

A mentor once told me "make the change you want before change happens to you", which I took to heart when I decided to study for the LSAT. I still keep in touch with some of my professional connections from that period of my work life, so I have some inkling of further restructures and layoffs that happened to the team I was on after I left. So I think I feel pretty confident saying that while law school brought with it many tough challenges and difficult times, ultimately I think I'm better off where I am now compared to where I would have been had I continued working the same job or the same type of job I had before. I don't know if going to law school has brought me more happiness, but I don't regret it.

• Like 1

I was an online odd jobber. I did everything from run an eBay store to website design to research. I decided to go back to school to see what more I could do with my life, and I decided the law was the best way to give back while also possibly enacting change in society. I figure it's a nice way to end a long and weird career.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 7:04 PM, SadNWO said:

I've been working in a strategy consulting role for around 2 years. I know that, overall, this is probably a fiscally ineffective move due to opportunity cost and current earnings.

But having said that, I really can't do this job anymore and I would always regret never pursuing my passion and trying my hand at law.

This is exactly my position. Got a comfortable government job, work from home and good salary. Decided this wasn’t going to fulfill me and I wanted to try for what I really wanted.

I will be starting law school next year so I can’t say where it will take me yet but I’ve had a year to really contemplate this decision and I’m so happy I took the leap.

• Like 1