swizzlem12

0Ls - Do you know where you want to go?

Wanted to start a discussion for my fellow 2021 applicants... do you have an absolute top pick that if you get in you KNOW that's where you'll go?

I feel like I'm all over the place... there's at least 3 schools that I have a lot of interest in attending and I obviously won't be able to accept all 3 (assuming I'm accepted into all of them lol)

Am I the only one who's flip flopping and unsure where they'll find themselves 10 months from now? I feel like it's gunna be a hard decision ahead of me. 

• Like 1

Interested in the western schools for sure, it's really come down to UManitoba, UAlberta and UVIC, but also I'm strongly interested in UCalgary as well. Interested in USask too but it's a bit on the pricier side. Of course, I'll be grateful for the opportunity to go anywhere, but logistically, financially, and where I want to settle, these western schools I think will fit my needs best. Really hoping I get in!!!!!!

Edited by castlepie
  • Like 1

I'm about 80% sure I'll go to UBC if I get in. Also applied to UofT, UVic and Ottawa. I've wanted to move out West for a long time and would like to practice there, so it makes the most sense for me to pick UBC or UVic. I'm not entirely sure and it's subject to change, but I'm feeling pretty certain I'll go to one of those schools.

• Like 1

My top choice is UVIC, I think its the only school that I would pick without a second thought but my stats are borderline for it so I'm trying to not have too high of hopes 😅

Otherwise, I agree with you, there are a few schools that I would be interested in so I would have to do some thinking! 

5 minutes ago, mslawyergirl said:

I've wanted to move out West for a long time and would like to practice there, so it makes the most sense for me to pick UBC or UVic. I'm not entirely sure and it's subject to change, but I'm feeling pretty certain I'll go to one of those schools.

same, I'm from Ontario and like high key would love to move out to BC, UVic and UBC are in those top picks and I have a hard time deciding which of those is better, while I'm still also interested in Oz and maybe being a bit closer to home. I went on exchange in 3rd year so it's not like that big a move scares me at all it's just another factor to consider.... and there's pros and cons to each that in my head all leave them balanced out which does not make it easy lol. 

• Like 1

For a while I've been set on UBC being my top choice ... but I question that a lot. I applied to UVic and UofT as well and all three schools have so much to offer. I can't help but wonder how my life would change depending on which one I pick (if, that is, I get into all of them... which I may not). 

10 minutes ago, mslawyergirl said:

I've wanted to move out West for a long time and would like to practice there, so it makes the most sense for me to pick UBC or UVic. I'm not entirely sure and it's subject to change, but I'm feeling pretty certain I'll go to one of those schools.

This is how I feel too! 

• Like 1

Any of the BC schools would be my top choice. I've spent the past decade in Toronto but all my family is based in BC so would like to be closer to them. 

If BC based schools are off the table then the decision becomes a lot harder. Ryerson would probably jump to he top of my list because of its' Toronto location, and because of the IPC. I'm an old(er) mature student with an established career, so being able to bypass articling is appealing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, swizzlem12 said:

same, I'm from Ontario and like high key would love to move out to BC, UVic and UBC are in those top picks and I have a hard time deciding which of those is better, while I'm still also interested in Oz and maybe being a bit closer to home. I went on exchange in 3rd year so it's not like that big a move scares me at all it's just another factor to consider.... and there's pros and cons to each that in my head all leave them balanced out which does not make it easy lol. 

It sounds like we're in a very similar situation!! I'm also from Ontario (GTA) and went on exchange in my third year. I'm in 4th year of my undergrad at Queen's right now, so I've done the small-town Ontario University gig - I'd only stay in Ontario if I went to UofT or Ottawa. 

I'm definitely still debating between UBC and UVic, but I'm heavily leaning towards UBC. I like the idea of a larger school with more classes and extracurricular opportunities. Plus I'd like to go on exchange again and the UBC partner schools resonate more with me. I honestly don't think one could go wrong with either, though! They're both fantastic schools and I think they both align well with my personal values and career goals.

• Like 1

Coming from McGill and living my whole life in Montreal, I wanna stay close to home so Ottawa/Queens it is! Would have absolutely loved to go out west where my girlfriend's family is but being nearby is more important to me right now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Firecracker said:

For a while I've been set on UBC being my top choice ... but I question that a lot. I applied to UVic and UofT as well and all three schools have so much to offer. I can't help but wonder how my life would change depending on which one I pick (if, that is, I get into all of them... which I may not). 

This is how I feel too! 

I completely agree. It's so hard not to at least consider UofT given that it's such a fantastic school, but I wonder if I really want the competition and intensity that would accompany that. UVic is pretty far the other way from what I've read, which in a way is appealing but I do think I thrive in a more intense environment (I chose Queen's Comm for my undergrad lol). UBC seems like somewhat of a middle ground in a lot of ways. Big city, but not too big. Great law school, competitive but not overly so. I think I'd be happy at any of them, though!

• Like 2

The only school that I would accept right away would be UVic. Beyond that, I haven’t let myself think of where I’d “like” to go...due to my lower gpa, I’m really trying to keep an open mind and be grateful to get in anywhere lol. 

32 minutes ago, Firecracker said:

For a while I've been set on UBC being my top choice ... but I question that a lot.

In the same boat here. Doing my undergrad at UBC and I love it here, but I can't help wonder what it would be like to not be here. Saying that, UBC is my #1 choice and I'm anxiously awaiting their first wave of acceptances!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mslawyergirl said:

It's so hard not to at least consider UofT given that it's such a fantastic school, but I wonder if I really want the competition and intensity that would accompany that.

the only competition and intensity is the one inside your own head 

• Like 4

I'm from out west, but am looking to stay away from Vancouver to put space between myself and a problematic situation. My first choice is probably Dal just for the school, but I hear legal wages aren't as good in the Maritimes. Calgary is a close second. That being said, the Ontario schools I applied at also have some really interesting internship opportunities that tempt me. I'll have to wait and see where I get in before I can truly evaluate my options. 

I am looking forward to seeing all the acceptances start to come in on the forum so I can share the excitement!

• Like 6

Osgoode, almost definitely. That said, I’m also interested in exploring Western’s program. I’ve applied to Queens and Ottawa as safety schools, and they’d definitely be great choices that I’d be happy going to, but I’m not drawn to those two in the same way I am to Oz and Western. 

• Like 1

I’m a relative new comer to Ontario, and so wouldn’t really want to move again. So I only applied to Ontario schools, not far from here Toronto. If need be, I would reapply next year to go to one of these schools. 

Edited by plantandsculpture

1 hour ago, mslawyergirl said:

I completely agree. It's so hard not to at least consider UofT given that it's such a fantastic school, but I wonder if I really want the competition and intensity that would accompany that. UVic is pretty far the other way from what I've read, which in a way is appealing but I do think I thrive in a more intense environment (I chose Queen's Comm for my undergrad lol). UBC seems like somewhat of a middle ground in a lot of ways. Big city, but not too big. Great law school, competitive but not overly so. I think I'd be happy at any of them, though!

UofT sounds incredible but (as cheesy as it sounds) the mountains are calling and I think I've gotta go 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

People always ask me where I want to go.

I have applied to OZ, Ryerson, Western, Windsor, Queens, and Ottawa.

The big X Factor for me is that I need to be able to get home to my family every weekend, and they live 3 hours north of the GTA.

I have come to the conclusion that I (mostly) do not care which school I go to. Oz? GREAT. Ryerson? Fine. Windsor? Fine. Ottawa? Very far to commute, but fine.

I just don't want to commute super, super far.

A bit of this is sour grapes though. I'm sure if I get an acceptance to Osgoode, I'll be jumping for joy and (figuratively) breaking open the champagne. 

• Like 1

I applied to UofT, Osgoode, and Western. I'm 99% sure that I would go to UofT if they accept me, since my goal is to practice at full service firm in Toronto and UofT seems to have a statistical edge on that front. If I don't get into UofT, I think I would go to Western, I'm hesitant about Osgoode because I want to move out for law school, but their campus is a little too close to my parents' place to justify it. 

Edited by stbajeff
  • Like 2