Sign in to follow this  
exocytosis646

Applying to UBC as a 3rd yr?

Hey all, interested in applying to UBC Law in my 3rd yr.

Are there any things about applying as a 3rd yr I should know? I recall someone mentioning that UBC requires all 3rd yr applicants to have a certain amount of credits completed by the time they enroll in law school? 30 credits of which must be comprised of upper-level courses- If anyone could help me clarify all this stuff, that would be great

Additionally, would UBC still drop my 12 lowest credits? Or not?

Would UBC law look at my grades the yr I actually apply?

40 minutes ago, exocytosis646 said:

Additionally, would UBC still drop my 12 lowest credits? Or not?

If you apply in your third year, you only get to drop your 6 lowest credits.

Your post history suggests that (i) you don't have an actual GPA or LSAT score yet and (ii) you're desperate to attend law school without completing your undergraduate degree. Why is that? Being the youngest person in your cohort isn't a badge of honour and can work against you. 

3 hours ago, Tagger said:

Your post history suggests that (i) you don't have an actual GPA or LSAT score yet and (ii) you're desperate to attend law school without completing your undergraduate degree. Why is that? Being the youngest person in your cohort isn't a badge of honour and can work against you. 

I haven't looked into this person's history, but there is someone that I know that has done only 3 years, older, and their goal has been law school as long as I have known them. I think that they will be applying this cycle. Ever since I have known them, their plan was to try to get in after 3rd year. Life got in the way, and law school has been on the backburner. They will most likely apply through discretionary and come with a fascinating story and excellent references. Though I do not know what their grades are like for their first 3 years. 

Not everyone that will be applying after 3rd is a young spring chicken. 

On 11/19/2020 at 6:14 PM, Tagger said:

Im calculated the risks and applying earlier will be a lot smarter/advantageous for me

On 11/19/2020 at 8:47 PM, OyVey said:

I haven't looked into this person's history, but there is someone that I know that has done only 3 years, older, and their goal has been law school as long as I have known them. I think that they will be applying this cycle. Ever since I have known them, their plan was to try to get in after 3rd year. Life got in the way, and law school has been on the backburner. They will most likely apply through discretionary and come with a fascinating story and excellent references. Though I do not know what their grades are like for their first 3 years. 

Not everyone that will be applying after 3rd is a young spring chicken. 

It's extremely obvious that OP doesn't fit this description. From the looks of it, OP's a first-year undergrad who's trying to time their degree and law school application(s) so that their GPA is comprised of two years' worth of grades from lower-level / easier courses. 

It's a plan that can easily backfire because many law schools (including UBC) make offers to third-year applicants conditional on maintaining the same or higher academic average in their final year. 

Edited by Tagger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tagger said:

trying to time their degree and law school application(s) so that their GPA is comprised of two years' worth of grades from lower-level / easier courses. 

Even though this was more or less what I did, I still agree with what Tagger says as doing this takes a requisite amount of planning and levelheadedness to properly pull off (i.e. you would have to properly plan out when to do 10 upper year courses and what lower level classes to take before even starting undergrad).

• Like 1