lawstudentincanada

More PPL applied this term? AND 170 SCORING?

LSAT scores are curved so there really isn't any more high scores than usual imo. Maybe more people holding off from last year and applying this year to avoid online? 

5 minutes ago, ThomasShelby said:

LSAT scores are curved so there really isn't any more high scores than usual imo. Maybe more people holding off from last year and applying this year to avoid online? 

if there are more people taking it, there would be more high scores 

1 minute ago, legallybrunette3 said:

if there are more people taking it, there would be more high scores 

The proportion increase was very minimal. Also, very few test takers achieve above 80th percentile. Also, the type of people who would likely sign up and wouldn't have already are probably not competitive to begin with. Not all, but most. The LSAT isn't a test you can just yolo. If you were planning on going in 2020 you probably knew that before COVID even hit North America. ALSO, you have to consider that Canada probably accounts for like 10% of the LSAT writes and there was only a very marginal increase to begin with.  Basically the LSAT as a whole is, lets say, 10%. If 10% of that piece score 170+ then that's 1%. If the overall lsat writes rose by 20% even, thats still a very small amount for Canadians. 

29 minutes ago, ThomasShelby said:

The proportion increase was very minimal. Also, very few test takers achieve above 80th percentile. Also, the type of people who would likely sign up and wouldn't have already are probably not competitive to begin with. Not all, but most. The LSAT isn't a test you can just yolo. If you were planning on going in 2020 you probably knew that before COVID even hit North America. ALSO, you have to consider that Canada probably accounts for like 10% of the LSAT writes and there was only a very marginal increase to begin with.  Basically the LSAT as a whole is, lets say, 10%. If 10% of that piece score 170+ then that's 1%. If the overall lsat writes rose by 20% even, thats still a very small amount for Canadians. 

The thing is, if there are people who sing up and yolo, they are likely gonna fluff up the scores of those who really studied for it. Say you've been PTing at 75%, but on actual exam day, there are way more test takers than usual, thus bumping you up to 80%. So people who wouldn't normally get a competitive score now receive a competitive score, and thus the bar for admission would likely be raised.

1 hour ago, ThomasShelby said:

These stats are readily available. I don't know why people don't use google more 😕 

https://report.lsac.org/TestTakers.aspx

If this is accurate, there seems to be a significant reduction in the amount of test takers this year. So the whole notion of schools having more applicants this year seems perplexing.

5 minutes ago, marsplastic said:

If this is accurate, there seems to be a significant reduction in the amount of test takers this year. So the whole notion of schools having more applicants this year seems perplexing.

That's assuming that the bulk of applications are coming from people who wrote the LSAT this year rather than in a year prior.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PlayALawyerOnTV said:

That's assuming that the bulk of applications are coming from people who wrote the LSAT this year rather than in a year prior.

Ah yes! Good point. I would say that's a fair assumption to make although I could be wrong.

10 minutes ago, PlayALawyerOnTV said:

I would be surprised if there's a very large number of people who take it that far in advance. Not saying there couldn't be, just that it would surprise me. 

3 minutes ago, legallybrunette3 said:

I would be surprised if there's a very large number of people who take it that far in advance. Not saying there couldn't be, just that it would surprise me. 

It could be people who took it in previous cycles, got in last year and decided not to go because they knew they’d probably have to do online school, so they’re trying again this year in hopes that they’ll get in again and things will be back to some version on normal by fall 2021. 

2 minutes ago, navyblue11 said:

It could be people who took it in previous cycles, got in last year and decided not to go because they knew they’d probably have to do online school, so they’re trying again this year in hopes that they’ll get in again and things will be back to some version on normal by fall 2021. 

possible, but again I would be surprised if there were many people who would do this. Delaying your degree a whole year seems excessive to avoid online school. Plus they'd have no guarantee they'd get in next cycle just because they did previously, it would be a silly risk. Especially if competition really is that much greater this cycle.

sidenote: I'm actually sad I missed out on online school. Doing law school in my jammies? Yes please! 

Edited by legallybrunette3
  • Like 1

Just now, legallybrunette3 said:

possible, but again I would be surprised if there were many people who would do this. Delaying your degree a whole year seems excessive to avoid online school. 

Agreed, but somehow after doing a semester of online school these past few months, I’m beginning to understand the impulse...😂😂😂

9 hours ago, legallybrunette3 said:

You likely would be surprised then. There are many who write the LSAT in advance, rather than waiting until the last minute. It has always been wise to have a competitive and valid score in hand prior to applying. 

2 hours ago, erinl2 said:

You likely would be surprised then. There are many who write the LSAT in advance, rather than waiting until the last minute. It has always been wise to have a competitive and valid score in hand prior to applying. 

I'm not surprised they would do it in advance, I'd be surprised if there were a lot doing it the prior cycle to advanced! But I like surprises anyway. 

On 11/19/2020 at 8:03 PM, elcs said:

The thing is, if there are people who sing up and yolo, they are likely gonna fluff up the scores of those who really studied for it. Say you've been PTing at 75%, but on actual exam day, there are way more test takers than usual, thus bumping you up to 80%. So people who wouldn't normally get a competitive score now receive a competitive score, and thus the bar for admission would likely be raised.

Wrong. Lsat curves are determined prior to the exam. Especially for the flex as they’ve been old lsat sections with pre determined curves. 

• Like 2

On 11/19/2020 at 9:07 PM, marsplastic said:

Of course it’s accurate. It’s literally from the lsac website. 😂

I have always felt that the amount of people reporting 170+ on these forums must be exaggerated.

I'm only talking about these forums.

• Like 1

This is my third time applying... I almost got in last year through several waitlists. I don't know what to do given how competitive the cycle is :( was going to re-take the LSAT in January but I don't know if it's worth wasting a take. Maybe I should just hold off until next year? That would be four attempts though!

41 minutes ago, Husns said:

This is my third time applying... I almost got in last year through several waitlists. I don't know what to do given how competitive the cycle is :( was going to re-take the LSAT in January but I don't know if it's worth wasting a take. Maybe I should just hold off until next year? That would be four attempts though!

Try to remember that we don’t know how competitive the pool of applicants is, and if I were you, I would still take the lsat in January. If you feel confident in your ability to score higher and improve your application, what would be the downside? I have a lower cgpa, so the surplus of applications is weighing heavily on my mind as well. There’s nothing I can do about it though, so I’m trying to remind myself that just because there are more applicants doesn’t necessarily mean that my application won’t stand out, or that all the extra applicants have more competitive applications than me. There’s so much we don’t know and that’s out of our control...but taking the January test (if you are confident it will improve your application) is something that you can control, something that might make you more competitive! Especially since the majority of schools will only factor in your highest score. 

• Like 2