halloitskiko

TEF Express before applying?

Hi, was wondering if anyone knew whether or not you could take the TEF Express before actually applying to Udem? or do we need to have applied in order to get access to the test? 
Im not sure if they wont send results without having applied yet 

I was under the impression you could apply and get conditional acceptance as long as you take the TEF and pass before the official school year starts, but following I would like to know as well

On 11/19/2020 at 11:21 AM, halloitskiko said:

Hi, was wondering if anyone knew whether or not you could take the TEF Express before actually applying to Udem? or do we need to have applied in order to get access to the test? 
Im not sure if they wont send results without having applied yet 

Yes you could! The TFI/TEF is an independent thing. Many people take these tests for a variety of reasons, not just to be accepted into law school. Therefore, you are definitely allowed to take the test before having applied as many times as you'd like and you are free to send in whichever results you deem best. I recently contacted Udem admissions and they said that your grade for this exam doesn't matter, as long as it is above a 785/990 (for the TFI, not sure about TEF) you are admissible to the program and a higher grade does not mean a higher chance of getting accepted. 

On 11/26/2020 at 10:19 AM, raylaw said:

Yes you could! The TFI/TEF is an independent thing. Many people take these tests for a variety of reasons, not just to be accepted into law school. Therefore, you are definitely allowed to take the test before having applied as many times as you'd like and you are free to send in whichever results you deem best. I recently contacted Udem admissions and they said that your grade for this exam doesn't matter, as long as it is above a 785/990 (for the TFI, not sure about TEF) you are admissible to the program and a higher grade does not mean a higher chance of getting accepted. 

Not to hijack, but what if I were to fail the TFI on my first try, would I be eligible to re-take it for the same cycle? Also, what is the latest that one may take it for this cycle?

10 hours ago, HumanCalculator said:

Not to hijack, but what if I were to fail the TFI on my first try, would I be eligible to re-take it for the same cycle? Also, what is the latest that one may take it for this cycle?

if its the TFI specifically, then you can take it again... assuming you did so in person privately and not through udem! i have multiple friends who did that. but now, with the TEF express online, they send your results automatically to the school so you only have one shot per admission cycle. Have you found anywhere that is offering the TFI still? I thought because of covid it wasnt available anywhere anymore.
I actually got in to udem last year but didnt make the mark for TEF express by one percentage so my admission got revoked. :(

3 hours ago, halloitskiko said:

if its the TFI specifically, then you can take it again... assuming you did so in person privately and not through udem! i have multiple friends who did that. but now, with the TEF express online, they send your results automatically to the school so you only have one shot per admission cycle. Have you found anywhere that is offering the TFI still? I thought because of covid it wasnt available anywhere anymore.
I actually got in to udem last year but didnt make the mark for TEF express by one percentage so my admission got revoked. :(

Wow that's rough, I'm sorry to hear you missed out by that little. I have not found anywhere offering the TFI, I think you are correct that COVID is still affecting it. Is it the TEF express is more difficult? As an anglophone with intermediate French skills, do you have a rough guess as for how long one should study for the test or when the latest take can be taken? I'm not sure where to find the TEF's scheduled offerings. 

On 12/2/2020 at 11:50 AM, HumanCalculator said:

Wow that's rough, I'm sorry to hear you missed out by that little. I have not found anywhere offering the TFI, I think you are correct that COVID is still affecting it. Is it the TEF express is more difficult? As an anglophone with intermediate French skills, do you have a rough guess as for how long one should study for the test or when the latest take can be taken? I'm not sure where to find the TEF's scheduled offerings. 

So, I have taken both tests and I personally found the TEF express much more difficult. Maybe its the time they give or the difficulty in the questions or maybe simply that you're in an environment of your own but yeah. Im also anglo but am verbally bilingual, however the reading comprehension questions are lengthy and less about content and more about themes and barely about understanding the language itself imo. I know quite a few people who were in the same position as me in being surprised by the TEF Express' difficulty. I personally will start studying maybe 1.5 months away from it but I am also not good with studying timelines. The TFI I also missed the cut off by 1% LOL. (was a very weird experience for me) but I didnt study at all for that one and i took it during midterms and was using that test as a practice round... Im confident i could have gotten the mark needed for the TFI if i could take that one again. However idk how it'll go this time with TEF Express again :( fingers crossed 

On 12/2/2020 at 11:50 AM, HumanCalculator said:

Hi! Just to let you both know that I recently took the TFI in person at Centre Artigue! They are a language school here in mtl. You can visit their website/call them to find out about their next date but I just did mine Nov 17 :)

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 4:15 PM, halloitskiko said:

So, I have taken both tests and I personally found the TEF express much more difficult. Maybe its the time they give or the difficulty in the questions or maybe simply that you're in an environment of your own but yeah. Im also anglo but am verbally bilingual, however the reading comprehension questions are lengthy and less about content and more about themes and barely about understanding the language itself imo. I know quite a few people who were in the same position as me in being surprised by the TEF Express' difficulty. I personally will start studying maybe 1.5 months away from it but I am also not good with studying timelines. The TFI I also missed the cut off by 1% LOL. (was a very weird experience for me) but I didnt study at all for that one and i took it during midterms and was using that test as a practice round... Im confident i could have gotten the mark needed for the TFI if i could take that one again. However idk how it'll go this time with TEF Express again :( fingers crossed 

Halloitskiko what was the TEF Express experience like? Is it proctored and very quick (as in too quick for someone who is not a francophone)? I am so nervous about the lockdown interfering with the TFI. 

I just spoke with someone from admissions who confirmed that your results from the TEF are NOT sent automatically!! She said that the results are emailed to you and then from there you decide whether you want to send them in or not (obviously depending on whether you got the required mark). They are sent to you via email and you must then submit them in your account.