Twopoint0

2021 Competitive Application Cycle

Hi all,

Just received email from UWO with user log in credentials. In the email, it was noted that they received over 2700 applications this year. Checking last year's cycle, only 2174 applied.

Wondering if this bump in apps will hold true for the rest of Ontario, and if so, curious to see how much more competitive it is for spots this year. I know there's been quite a lot of talk on here and speculation about this year's cycle , these early numbers for UWO suggest could be quite a competitive year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skeet96 said:

Checking last year's cycle, only 2174 applied.

Where’d you find this? I always figured Western would be in line with Queen’s which had ~2700 apps in 2017. 

How many offers tend to get sent out? Remember that they send out a lot more offers than actually get accepted to account for deferrals or people who decide to go elsewhere. They may choose increase the number of offers with such a large pool knowing that because of COVID or other reasons they might not get a great yield this year if they keep the status quo. 

• Like 1

Also, this could be partially explained if a similar number of applicants in the entire applicant pool are just sending out more applications. I know I applied to few more schools than I initially planned on, just because I was worried about a competitive cycle. 

• Like 2

If you've logged on to OASIS for Osgoode, their applicant count for this cycle is 3,336. Looks like the LSAC data is not tracking all Canadian applicants since the applicant count for Osgoode in 2020 was 2,735. Considering the similar increase at Western, it seems that there are ~600 more applicants this time around (obviously assuming that the same people applying to Western are applying to Oz, which can very well NOT be the case).

Looks like a more competitive cycle either way!

• Sad 8

17 minutes ago, clawyer said:

How did you receive your OASIS login?

Osgoode sent out admission acknowledgement email yesterday. Can begin to log into OASIS today.

I'm nervous ngl...my cGPA is good so I'm not worried about that, but I am worried about my LSAT (162). What happens if it's not enough this year? I really don't want to have to rewrite but I also don't want to get rejected from my top choices this year (Oz and Western)...

• Like 4

I emailed LSAC the other day inquiring about the applicant data at this link under 'Canadian Applicant Counts': https://report.lsac.org/VolumeSummaryOriginalFormat.aspx

This was their response:

Thank you for writing. The column on the left is the percentage of applicants from Canada, and the right column is the percentages of applications to Canadian law schools. We hope this information is helpful, and please don’t hesitate to contact us with any additional questions that you may have.

So strange because this shows a decrease which seems to not be the case at all.

Just thought I would share!

• Like 3

We've got three threads discussing the same thing and to merge them is going to make the discussion disjointed and confusing. Please continue the conversation here:

• Like 1