Toby1994

Fellow OLs..how you feelin?

1 hour ago, hopefulforlaw said:

Definitely feeling the stress as well! Especially with Ottawa's delay with receiving documents from OLSAS and still not getting a confirmation of application from other Ontario schools 😭 I am trying my best not to obsessively check statuses but its easier said than done! 

I think what helps me most is staying occupied with work and any other activities I enjoy and also just planning out a worst case scenario of what I will be doing next year if law school is not an option. Like a few others said, I'm also a planner, so having a general idea of what the possibilities are eases my stress! Even if I'm not 100% sure what will happen, it's not completely unknown either.

I feel the same way as you do right now! Sometimes I have little panics about just not knowing, but I'm trying to practice mindfulness and remind myself that it's all out of my hands now and whatever will be will be. 

• Like 3

Not knowing my LSAT yet (November write) nor how my GPA will be calculated for B2/L2/L60 is stressing the ever living shit out of me. 

• Like 5

I'm super nervous but keep trying to remind myself that whatever will be will be. My stats are good and I worked my ass off on all my other components, so if I don't get in this year I can definitely say I put up a good fight and try again next year. 

I also have to keep reminding myself to stay in the moment and not obsessively wish for time to keep going faster so I can finally get the verdict. The last thing I want is to wish my undergrad years away and then when I'm in law school think about this time and kick myself for spending so much of it wishing I was somewhere or sometime else.

That being said, I don't try and suppress the anxiety I feel at times and always make it a priority to find moments where I can let myself feel the fear and process it. It's worked pretty well for me so far (I know no one asked to hear about this haha, but hey, maybe it'll help someone!). Good luck, all!

Edited by navyblue11
  • Like 2

I would be a lot calmer/in a better place if Ottawa/OLSAS would figure their shit out. Besides that it really is what it is and I'm trying my best to just enjoy getting ready for the holidays!!!

• Like 6

I sent in all my apps within a week of things opening up and my mentor/SO both said it's honestly out of my hands now. I checked a bunch of times to make sure everything was in order documentation wise, but as a mature/access/discretionary candidate with a sub par GPA I don't expect to hear anything back anytime soon so I'm just focusing on other parts of my life. I did notice that applications seem to be down (there's another topic in this forum that discusses this) for this year and that's sort of heartening for me. 

Basically, at this point I've done all I can with what I've got, so there's no point worrying!

• Like 2

After completely bombing the LSAT and not getting any acceptances last cycle, I've gone through a complete change in mindset and rewrote it last week. Although am nervous about the score, am 100% confident that I performed better than last time! I feel much more calm this time around, and I think having experienced the initial stress of already going through an application cycle really shows things in a different light.

If you're applying for the first time, relax and let things take their course! If things don't pan out for you this cycle, it's not the end of the world and there will always be future cycles to show your worth. Time goes by quickly - I was let down at first but before I knew it I was already applying for 2021 admission. Like all of you here, I'm very excited for what's to come!

• Like 7

I feel like I am struggling with this a lot more than I thought I would be. My family/friends keep telling me not to worry yet I find myself on this forum, Reddit, and checking status trackers almost every day (and it is only November...yikes).

It is definitely a difficult process but I would like to believe we are all going to end up where we were meant to be!

• Like 3

i feel like i was fine until I saw that Western had like 600 more applicants than last year. I also heard that osgoode had over 3000? eek. nothing we can do about it now, but its just made me more nervous😕 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, culitigator said:

i feel like i was fine until I saw that Western had like 600 more applicants than last year. I also heard that osgoode had over 3000? eek. nothing we can do about it now, but its just made me more nervous😕 

Yup. It's looking as though applications are up ~20-25% for Ontario schools, at least judging by the numbers from Western, Osgoode and Ryerson. 

Nothing to be done about that though, so no point in stressing about it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PlayALawyerOnTV said:

Yup. It's looking as though applications are up ~20-25% for Ontario schools, at least judging by the numbers from Western, Osgoode and Ryerson. 

Nothing to be done about that though, so no point in stressing about it.

Any idea if numbers for non ontario schools are up? i know their deadlines havent passed yet but is there any data on this at all?

6 minutes ago, culitigator said:

Any idea if numbers for non ontario schools are up? i know their deadlines havent passed yet but is there any data on this at all?

I haven't heard of any data being released for non-Ontario  schools. Imagine that if applications are up for Ontario we'd see a corresponding increase in applications elsewhere, though maybe not to the tune of 20%-plus.

• Like 1

i was feeling okay, a normal dose of nervousness, but generally normal..until someone on here mentioned the applicant pool from OASIS for this year's cycle 

LOL! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Ontario said:

i was feeling okay, a normal dose of nervousness, but generally normal..until someone on here mentioned the applicant pool from OASIS for this year's cycle 

LOL! 

I feel like this sums up most people’s, including my own, feelings right about now 🤣🤣🤣 

I’d recommend just letting yourself be nervous for the little while it’ll take to run through the possible worst case scenarios in your head a few times. After that, let logic kick in. If you look through the forums, you’ll see this pattern play out irl. First, the million comments and posts from everyone’s panicked speculation, questions and two cents (guilty! 😂) and then eventually the ones who’ve calmed down quicker/were calm to begin with will pitch in the more thought-out, reassuring explanations, and then everyone starts to take the tone of “nothing to be done now, just keep going.”

Good luck!

• Like 5

Pretty stressed.... I check this forum daily lool. It doesn't help that we're pretty much in lockdown here in the GTA so there's not much to do other than work 😪

• Like 1

I'm somewhat stressed. I believe I will get in somewhere, but not knowing which school will accept me makes the whole application process cross my mind constantly.

The repetitive conversation with people are getting annoying too:

Dood I have not seen in a while: "Hey, did you pass your law test? Did you get into law school?"

Me: "It doesn't work like that {explains LSAT scores, admissions process, etc}"

🤪

• Like 4

Stressed. I know my stats should be decent, but still.

Compulsively checking this forum as well as the applications status daily (despite being explicitly told that offers would only start being handed out in December). But this forum has been tremendously helpful. Knowing there are other people out there freaking out about the same things I do tells me that I'm not that crazy. And getting told that we are all crazy for worrying about those things also lets me know that I can chill out a bit.

Rationally speaking, a spike of 600 applications isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things? I mean with so many law schools, it'd spread out?

• Like 3

17 hours ago, elcs said:

Stressed. I know my stats should be decent, but still.

Compulsively checking this forum as well as the applications status daily (despite being explicitly told that offers would only start being handed out in December). But this forum has been tremendously helpful. Knowing there are other people out there freaking out about the same things I do tells me that I'm not that crazy. And getting told that we are all crazy for worrying about those things also lets me know that I can chill out a bit.

Rationally speaking, a spike of 600 applications isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things? I mean with so many law schools, it'd spread out?

Yes and no; no in the sense that most of these applicants will apply to multiple schools, and as such there will be a consistent 600 candidate rise for most schools (e.g. both Osgoode and Western have a 600 person rise this year, most likely due to most people applying to both schools), but yes in the sense that, obviously, if accepted they can't go to both schools and such would have to choose. As a result, taking one offer frees up a spot for another person.