15 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

They replied to me and confirmed that they miscalculated by cGPA. They also said that I would be eligible for an offer either way, and that I would be hearing from them next month! I am very happy : )

Hey congrats!!!! I'm so glad to hear that it got worked out for you!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

They replied to me and confirmed that they miscalculated by cGPA. They also said that I would be eligible for an offer either way, and that I would be hearing from them next month! I am very happy : )

That's awesome, congrats!

On 11/21/2020 at 8:51 AM, Firecracker said:

Not me. Since my GPA just got corrected I doubt they'd have time to evaluate me for first round anyway. Might be a good sign for you!

Here's hoping! And you never know - they might've just been too focused on the error :)

Does ubc take into account what your undergrad major was? I am hoping to apply next year but I am in science and my gpa is not as impressive as some students with 90+. I have an 80% but I also took ochem and cell bio which tank my gpa. 

Thanks! 

31 minutes ago, riseandgrind0912 said:

Does ubc take into account what your undergrad major was? I am hoping to apply next year but I am in science and my gpa is not as impressive as some students with 90+. I have an 80% but I also took ochem and cell bio which tank my gpa. 

Thanks! 

No,  to admissions an 80% in ochem is functionally the same as an 80% in something like German film studies

On 11/17/2020 at 1:14 PM, AllanRC said:

I'm going to tell you what you already know: the only way to confirm is to ask them again...but it sure seems like it! Congrats

Maybe redundant at this point but I ended up asking, just to be sure lol. And received this:

"Yes, it appears there was a manual error that has been corrected, my apologies for the added stress to you."

So this gives me reason to believe that UBC always takes percentage grades as is, no matter your school. If anyone reading this thread is given a GPA that's not consistent with their transcripts in this way, I'd advise shooting admissions a message. 

Edited by Firecracker
  • Like 1

Not sure if this has been confirmed, but I think when requesting for GPA they give it to you before drops (not sure why they would do that though). I’m a UBC student and we have a GPA calculation tool on our student portal. The GPA they gave me was the exact same as the one I calculated before drops using our average calculator. Don’t know if I should bother following up to clarify, but I’m pretty sure they give it to you before drops.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deliciouskiwi said:

Not sure if this has been confirmed, but I think when requesting for GPA they give it to you before drops (not sure why they would do that though). I’m a UBC student and we have a GPA calculation tool on our student portal. The GPA they gave me was the exact same as the one I calculated before drops using our average calculator. Don’t know if I should bother following up to clarify, but I’m pretty sure they give it to you before drops.  

Huh, that's interesting!

When they told me that my actual confirmed calculation was 88.5%, I assumed that was after drops since that lined up with what I'd calculated and the cGPA on my transcript was closer to 87. If that's before drops that would be cool. Now I regret not asking.

11 minutes ago, Firecracker said:

Huh, that's interesting!

When they told me that my actual confirmed calculation was 88.5%, I assumed that was after drops since that lined up with what I'd calculated and the cGPA on my transcript was closer to 87. If that's before drops that would be cool. Now I regret not asking.

I think you'd be fine regardless! You have solid stats, so be prepared to receive a warm welcome from Vancouver with open arms ;) I'm writing the LSAT in January, but I do understand that either way it would be nice to know for sure whether it was before or after drops, as we all need whatever closure we can get! (no matter how small)

• Like 1

Just an update that might help: I'm a UBC student and I asked Allard what GPA they'll be using for my application. It's a couple of points higher than what's on my SSC so I think they are giving us our GPA with drops, but might depend on the admissions officer replying!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vancity27 said:

Just an update that might help: I'm a UBC student and I asked Allard what GPA they'll be using for my application. It's a couple of points higher than what's on my SSC so I think they are giving us our GPA with drops, but might depend on the admissions officer replying!

Same here, when I emailed I was told they were sending cGPA's with drops. My GPA received from them also lines up with what the SSC says for me

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ap4750 said:

Same here, when I emailed I was told they were sending cGPA's with drops. My GPA received from them also lines up with what the SSC says for me

Wait so the GPA you received from them was the same as your SSC calculation with drops? With mine the GPA they sent me was the same as my SSC calculation without any drops. Guess I should contact them and clarify!

An update on my situation - I called admissions and they said the numbers that they give back when requested for GPA are after drops. I was able to confirm that they had initially made a calculation error, so they fixed my GPA and it's now two points higher :)

• Like 2

On 11/13/2020 at 2:57 PM, lawlizard said:

I just emailed to receive mine... I asked them (politely) to clarify when they do respond, whether it is with or without drops. I have letter grades on my transcript (A+ is 90-100, A is 85-89, A- is 80-84, etc). SO WE SHALL SEE.

I wish my school did do percentage grades though so I would have a chance at a 90+ gpa calculation (so sad). 

EDIT: I will say though, that when I calculated my gpa with the calculator on here, it was 3% higher than when I did it by hand so I will not be surprised if it is different.

Update - they gave me a calculation. It’s 3% higher than the original GPA they gave me. That’s after drops so definitely follow through! They said they have a few new hires who are still learning the ropes remotely right now. 

9 minutes ago, lawlizard said:

Update - they gave me a calculation. It’s 3% higher than the original GPA they gave me. That’s after drops so definitely follow through! They said they have a few new hires who are still learning the ropes remotely right now. 

Glad to hear you figured that out, 3% is a pretty big jump. 

Just to throw it out there, has anyone asked when they plan on starting their first wave of acceptances?

I was told they were aiming for December 7th as a soft deadline for sending emails as long as nothing big happened to delay them (they did say that things could be delayed this year)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, this might not be the thread for this but I'm fairly new to this forum and it seems like a decent enough place to ask: everyone seems to be talking about 92 as being the auto-admit and that everyone above that can expect an offer next week (like i've seen people being congratulated in advance). My nervous wreck of brain wonders though, isn't that dependent on the number of people who get an index above 92? Like if people just generally tended to do better because classes are online and like 500 of the people who applied had a score above 92, then we wouldn't still be auto-admits, would we? Like there's a good chance that the bar to be an auto-admit has gone up right?

11 minutes ago, idealisticlawgirl said:

Also, this might not be the thread for this but I'm fairly new to this forum and it seems like a decent enough place to ask: everyone seems to be talking about 92 as being the auto-admit and that everyone above that can expect an offer next week (like i've seen people being congratulated in advance). My nervous wreck of brain wonders though, isn't that dependent on the number of people who get an index above 92? Like if people just generally tended to do better because classes are online and like 500 of the people who applied had a score above 92, then we wouldn't still be auto-admits, would we? Like there's a good chance that the bar to be an auto-admit has gone up right?

I don't know much about applicant numbers or grade inflation (if there was any), but at the end of the day people have to be admitted and if you were competitive in previous years you will be now. Unfortunately, there's not much we can do about it but speculate until next week :(  I'll (try to) ease your worry and guarantee you that there wont be even close to 500 people with an index over 92. Also, just to note, it doesn't look like the UVic acceptances so far differ much from previous year numbers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ap4750 said:

I don't know much about applicant numbers or grade inflation (if there was any), but at the end of the day people have to be admitted and if you were competitive in previous years you will be now. Unfortunately, there's not much we can do about it but speculate until next week :(  I'll (try to) ease your worry and guarantee you that there wont be even close to 500 people with an index over 92. Also, just to note, it doesn't look like the UVic acceptances so far differ much from previous year numbers. 

That does very low key ease the worry :') thank you, I'll just keep my fingers and toes crossed for all of us until this gross waiting period is over!

• Like 1

When I emailed a couple weeks ago inquiring about what my GPA is they said they were in the midst of evaluating my file and could let me know in a couple weeks when they finished. What do you think this means? I’m worried as they seem to just be telling others there GPAs and not to worry and offers coming ://