This is really confusing for me too, because that cGPA is lower than what I get if I cap all my A+s at 85% (even though Allard told me they would bump up A+s on U of A transcripts to a 4.33, which is 90%). 

I think I'm going to just call and ask because A) is that my GPA before drops or after and B) I want to confirm my LSAT score which they didn't in the email because my account hasn't updated since Oct 15 but got my score after that?!

14 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

This is really confusing for me too, because that cGPA is lower than what I get if I cap all my A+s at 85% (even though Allard told me they would bump up A+s on U of A transcripts to a 4.33, which is 90%). 

Exactly how I am feeling! That's why I'm trying all these random ways of calculating my GPA because it just doesn't add up otherwise.

It makes me wonder if a lot of people tend to see a drop? Then again, in past accepted threads I see quite a few people getting high 80s (and some low 90s) GPAs confirmed by Allard... which further confuses me on how their system works.

Low 90s/high 80s would likely be people applying from UBC, since their percentage grades wouldn't drop (i.e. their 89s, 88s, 95s, etc. wouldn't drop to the lower threshold of the grade range that UBC converts other schools' grades to).

I can see why it seems unfair but that seems to be the way it is 🤷‍♂️

• Sad 1

I just emailed to receive mine... I asked them (politely) to clarify when they do respond, whether it is with or without drops. I have letter grades on my transcript (A+ is 90-100, A is 85-89, A- is 80-84, etc). SO WE SHALL SEE.

I wish my school did do percentage grades though so I would have a chance at a 90+ gpa calculation (so sad). 

EDIT: I will say though, that when I calculated my gpa with the calculator on here, it was 3% higher than when I did it by hand so I will not be surprised if it is different.

Edited by lawlizard

On 11/13/2020 at 11:00 AM, JessePinkman said:

I'm having the same problem. I calculated by cGPA to be around 87/88, but Allard let me know it's actually 84 (I'm a U of A student). 

What did you self-calculate each letter grade as? Im UofA as well. Additionally, howd you get them your transcript?

Edited by toastedguac

30 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

I used the conversion table found on their FAQ page (https://students.ok.ubc.ca/academic-success/grades-performance/). Also, I requested that it be sent directly to them through Bear Tracks. 

That's worrying, maybe they didn't factor in the drops, try calculating for it again but don't drop the lowest 4 and see if you get their number

Edited by toastedguac

I emailed admissions and explained my confusion and just received this email back:

"I’ve pulled your file and reviewed your transcript, I have noted a CGPA of 88.5% with utilizing our calculation. It will be recorded on your evaluation."

If I'm reading this right... Does this mean that it got fixed?

6 minutes ago, Firecracker said:

I emailed admissions and explained my confusion and just received this email back:

"I’ve pulled your file and reviewed your transcript, I have noted a CGPA of 88.5% with utilizing our calculation. It will be recorded on your evaluation."

I'm going to tell you what you already know: the only way to confirm is to ask them again...but it sure seems like it! Congrats

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Firecracker said:

Looks like it! I’m so glad you got this sorted out. How stressful. *collective sigh of relief*

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2020 at 2:57 PM, lawlizard said:

I just emailed to receive mine... I asked them (politely) to clarify when they do respond, whether it is with or without drops. I have letter grades on my transcript (A+ is 90-100, A is 85-89, A- is 80-84, etc). SO WE SHALL SEE.

I wish my school did do percentage grades though so I would have a chance at a 90+ gpa calculation (so sad). 

EDIT: I will say though, that when I calculated my gpa with the calculator on here, it was 3% higher than when I did it by hand so I will not be surprised if it is different.

Update: I think I will be inquiring further. It seems they took my A+ and calculated them as 86 because that's the only way I end up with the 83.80 they gave me (with drops). 

50 minutes ago, lawlizard said:

Update: I think I will be inquiring further. It seems they took my A+ and calculated them as 86 because that's the only way I end up with the 83.80 they gave me (with drops). 

If something seems off you should definitely email. I'm not sure what happened with my calculation but there might have been an admin error - maybe that happened to you too.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, lawlizard said:

They replied to me today, and told me they count A+s as 90% and As as 86% (at least for U of A students). In this case, they definitely made a mistake calculating my cGPA (it should be around 88% instead of 84%). Gareth told me he'd check it over tomorrow and let me know if they made a mistake. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, thelawfulmuskrat said:

Do they update the applicants GPA on the website or is contacting them the only way to find out?

You have to email them to confirm it. I wish it was displayed somewhere! That would make things easier. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, clawyer said:

Was anyone else told that early offers would be sent in December when emailing for their GPA?

Not me. Since my GPA just got corrected I doubt they'd have time to evaluate me for first round anyway. Might be a good sign for you!

4 hours ago, clawyer said:

Was anyone else told that early offers would be sent in December when emailing for their GPA?

They replied to me and confirmed that they miscalculated by cGPA. They also said that I would be eligible for an offer either way, and that I would be hearing from them next month! I am very happy : )

• Like 1