Sign in to follow this  
trashpanda

Sask Connection

Hi all, 

This might be an incredibly stupid question but bear with me. I understand this Sask connection is very important to the school and  I want to make sure that my application reflects how important the school is to me. 

So I've been having issues trying to decide what to put in this Sask connection section. See here is the thing, I'm a first-generation Canadian so I literally have no roots here other than my parents. And therefore, nobody I know goes to U Sask. However, I have been to Saskatchewan multiple times and really loved it. I traveled a lot for work and have seen Weyburn, Yorkton, North Battleford, Swift Current, and Moose Jaw (my favourite of all places). I also competed in the Saskatchewan provincials in my sport at one point in time. I know that this isn't exactly what they were after in terms of connection but I wasn't sure if maybe it counted anyway...

I was considering writing about how I really like the province and  want to move there but I'm not sure if my work experience/competition experience is enough to be considered a connection. 

I understand if you guys are like WTF TP??? Hell no!! But I wanted to ask just in case because I haven't really gotten an answer of the website other than "family" of which I don't have.

Thanks!

That's more of a Sask connection than I would have had, had I applied to the school. I say go for it. 

Though I have a question. When you say you "have no roots [in Sask] other than my parents", do you mean your parents live in Sask right now? If so, that would seem to be a good Sask connection (though I admittedly am an outsider and had not looked into Sask when I applied to law schools). 

Edited by Twenty
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, trashpanda said:

Oh no no sorry. I mean't in Canada and more specifically, Alberta ahah. That was not clear of me. 

I see. Hmm...actually I should clarify what I think you should do.

I don't think it's a connection (nor would I try justifying why you have no Sask. connection, it is what it is), but you should definitely mention visiting those places and being attracted to them when you write about "why USask?" on your application. All the best!

Edited by Twenty
  • Like 1

I agree that it's difficult to (quite) justify this as a "connection", but, the box is still there to be filled, so you should absolutely expand on what you said in the OP, and make the case that you'd be happy to become a Saskatchewanian. 

After all, although the wording of the Sask Connection criterion is obviously backward-looking (i.e. what connection has already been established), the real purpose of the connection is that they want to admit people who will actually stay in Saskatchewan and become a part of the legal community there. (This is even more of an issue with Med at USask, leading them to very strictly define their "sask resident" category. Luckily it's not as stringent with Law).

Therefore, you should absolutely make a case that, as a first generation Canadian, 

• i) While you did not grow up in SK, you would be happy to grow your Canadian identity in its fertile soil ;),
  • ii) Support that contention by mentioning the positive experiences you've had in the province; this should indeed put you at least marginally ahead of kids from Toronto who've never even been to Winnipeg, let alone S'toon.

I should add that, while I don't go to U of S, I did gain admission there as an Albertan (like you), albeit with slightly more connection (lived there for just under a year with two different jobs of short duration).

-GM

PS If you legitimately enjoyed all the secondary SK cities you mentioned (Battleford? Really???), then Saskatoon will seem like an absolute urban paradise to you. ;) It's a really lovely city and campus!

I'll second what GM said. I was born in Saskatoon, but only lived there till I was six before we moved to Alberta. But every time we go back, I end up greatly enjoying it and I've always seen myself going back and living there again. That's not necessarily the strongest connection, but I took care to mention how much I love Saskatchewan and how I'd like to live there again. Expressing your heartfelt love for the province can only help your application.

Edited by Chazz
  • Like 2