lawlawlaw99662

UVIC Law Experience?

Hi Everyone!!

I'm just curious if there are any current or previous law students at UVIC that would like to comment on their experience. I think that right now, UVIC is probably my first choice, but I've never been to Victoria and I don't know anyone that goes there for law. 

How was your learning experience? How were professors? How was it making friends / meeting people? 

Thank you so much!

I am responding even though I don't have much of an answer, just because I feel sorry for you and the lack of replies. ;)

I think the problem this year, at most schools, is that Covid has made everything both difficult and different. As such, the info that last year's 1L's gave us doesn't have much relevance to how this year is going. Likewise, anything that I, or any other 1L tells you now will likely be very much different next year (fingers crossed for in-class in September 2021!)

I would think that Zoom-learning has taken the "individuality" out of the experiences offered by all law schools this year. I'm living in the same city as the school, but most of the class isn't, and the profs may as well be in Timbuktu! Maybe some are; who knows... Add in the fact that the 1L curriculum is largely similar across the country, and there is very little left to say that's distinctive about UVic.

Some of the things that remain constant, though:

1) Lowest tuition in Canada - yay!

2) Relatively small range of upper-year courses - boo! (Just being a smaller school)

3) Co-Op program - yay in principle, as long as you get jobs through it!

4) Strong progressive perspectives brought into every academic and administrative matter (yay/boo depends heavily on the student and their expectations, but for most students here this is a positive).

-GM

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GrumpyMountie said:

-GM

From your other posts you seem to be from Edmonton. How does cost of living compare? Obviously it is more in Victoria but have you noticed groceries or anything being way more? I'm leaning towards Vic to escape the cold. 

7 hours ago, ThomasShelby said:

From your other posts you seem to be from Edmonton. How does cost of living compare? Obviously it is more in Victoria but have you noticed groceries or anything being way more? I'm leaning towards Vic to escape the cold. 

So this is a real weakness of mine - paying close attention to food costs.  I figure I don't have much choice anyway, so I don't retain the cost of a grapefruit in my mind from city to city.  

I do have a faint that food (including restaurants) is a little bit cheaper here overall, though, including at restaurants. Does it make up for righer rents? I'm really not sure. Cost of other items will be higher overall, with the sales tax. Gas is more, of course, but even if you do have a car you will probably find you don't need to drive it much.

The other area of savings would be heating, assuming you're paying for utilities in Alberta. We are into "winter" temperatures now in Victoria, and there isn't a low enough setting on my gas fireplace - if I leave it on, the house gets too hot. So we are spending nearly zero on heat.

On the whole, I guess if you combine (potentially) cheaper food, cheaper utilities, and cheaper tuition, you can probably overcome the higher rent and have costs roughly equal with Edmonton!

-GM

PS I actually miss the cold! But I know I'm in the minority there, and I won't belabour the issue. ;)

Hi there! I'm a current 3L at UVic Law. I really like it! I think that people are generally friendly, and that goes a long way whether school is online or in person. I think the competition-aspect of law school is more moderated, since we are not ranked against our classmates (we don't see a ranking). It feels like a smaller community, because each class is smaller compared to other law schools in Canada. The lower tuition is good, but that is moderated by a smaller selection of classes. The registration is a MAD rush and very intense, and often you don't get classes you want and the admin doesn't really care. That said, I've always been able to find things I wanted to take. I like the focus on indigenous law, and I think the indigenous law taught at UVic is the best in Canada. I like the social justice nature of the school, despite my focus on big law for my career. The co-op program is unique, and there are a lot of opportunities. 

I saw you mention the weather, I think the wind is intense if you live by the ocean, but otherwise it's a more moderate climate than you've find at any other Canadian law school. I'm originally from Vancouver, so that's where my perspective is informed from. But I know that students from all across Canada who have come here, and they find it enjoyable. I'm really happy about my decision to attend UVic Law, and I feel the community is really strong here. 

• Like 3