FortifiedEight

2021-2022 Toronto Post-Articling Job Opportunities

@Obsidian I received an email late December saying that interviews would be scheduled early January, I have yet to heard back though so I am assuming it was generic

• Like 2

Does anyone know if Kostyniuk & Greenside has sent out interview invitations.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 1:42 PM, Bart said:

Yes I've heard someone got an interview with them for this upcoming week. 

• Like 2

On 1/15/2021 at 1:42 PM, Bart said:

I had an interview with them last week. They said they are in the very early stages of interviews 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, futurelawyer20 said:

Has anyone heard back from Iler Campbell?

I only got an email from them confirming my application, said they will be conducting interviews early to mid-February.

• Like 2

Not technically Toronto, but has anyone heard from Brattys in Vaughn?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RNGesus said:

Not technically Toronto, but has anyone heard from Brattys in Vaughn?

They are doing interviews this week

• Like 1

AMR LLP is scheduling interviews for the week of February 15th.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, futurelawyer20 said:

Anyone hear back from Iler Campbell re: interviews?

Nothing for me

• Like 1

TD's external posting deadline (both Articling roles) was Wednesday. Really hoping to get an interview invite for at least one of them. If you hear back from them, please let me know! Thanks. 

Edited by BackToTheTdot
  • Like 2

On 1/21/2021 at 11:53 AM, Netnet said:

Osler is hiring in Ottawa for IP law.

Do you know to whom we should be addressing the cover letter too? Doesn't say on the site. 

Edited by BackToTheTdot
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, BackToTheTdot said:

Do you know to whom we should be addressing the cover letter too? Doesn't say on the site. 

I believe it is: 

Crystal Toll
Senior Manager, Talent Management & Operations
Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP
Suite 1900
Constitution Square
340 Albert Street
Ottawa, ON K1R 7Y6

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• I am a Queen’s student and I definitely agree with everything @Deadpool said. Particularly if you have no idea where your interests lie, then Osgoode will give you a variety of practical experiences to choose from and find your niche area.  While any school in Canada will provide you with an excellent legal education, I do believe that some schools will open more doors for you.  If you are the top student at your school, any number of opportunities will likely be available to you but I think that if you are an average student, which most of us tend to be, then average students at UofT, McGill, Osgoode, and UBC seem to do better than average students at other schools. 
    • Accepted Feb 24th!! I honestly can't believe it. I checked uozone on a whim and it said admitted. Haven't received an email and olsas isn't updated yet either. GPA: 3.68 as per OLSAS LSAT: 151 (Jan 2019) , 156 (Aug 2020), 154 (Nov 2020), 157 (Jan 2021) Clearly I struggled with the LSAT so I'm really surprised I got in. My ECs were okay in my opinion. Did some volunteering, worked part-time, went on exchange. I emphasized my interest in social justice and Aboriginal law in my ps and I talked about my financial hardship a little even though I didn't apply access. I believe I had strong reference letters from a prof and my manager at work. Good luck to you all!  
    • Even if you don't know what area of law you want to pursue, the fact that Osgoode has the most clinical programs out of any law school in the country, is located in Toronto, has a more diverse student body - proven if you look at class profiles comparing these schools and what I have heard from many peers who attended Western and Queen's, a decent reputation, and lots of alumni working in Toronto were all big selling points for me.  The main reasons I've seen for people who got into all three to turn down Osgoode for Queen's or Western, is if they wanted a smaller class size, the location, or school vibe (party culture), etc. Some people like Western's business-heavy focus. Queen's is also leaning more business-heavy these days. If corporate law is your goal, then you can't go wrong with any of these options. Things get murkier with other practice areas, especially more niche fields like IP or immigration. Tuition costs are fairly similar for all three. Queen's has a higher curve, but I'm not sure if that makes any difference in employment prospects as employers would just compare the transcripts of students at your school.  Osgoode being bigger and older is not necessarily a bad thing because there is a strong alumni network and depending on where you want to work, this can be hugely beneficial in my opinion. Anecdotally, every single place I interviewed at while in law school had a few Osgoode alumni working there and this allowed me to connect with interviewers pretty quickly. That said, Western and Queen's also have many alumni working in Toronto so this isn't a major factor.  Osgoode is the oldest law school in Ontario and was on its own before it joined York University, so most people would not associate York's overall reputation with Osgoode or even Schulich School of Business. At least in the legal field, it has a decent reputation.  I've thought about this question quite a bit over the years and besides the personal reasons I've outlined above, from an academics or careers standpoint, I am not sure there are many reasons to go to Western or Queen's over Osgoode. I'm a big proponent of getting practical legal experience while in law school and Osgoode just has a shit ton of that going for it. That alone is reason enough to pick it. If you're not a top student grades-wise in law school, then even small differences in course selection, clinicals, and reputation can make all the difference in where you end up landing a job. 
    • My brain says "do not post nitpicky politics," but my heart says do it. So here I am. I'm not discounting your personal experience here. But there is no such thing as a postmodern Marxist. Postmodernism is fundamentally incompatible with Marxism. The former rejects grand universal truths, while the latter is based on there being an inherent (economic) truth. 
    • I shall now apply all of the wisdom I have gained from reading this forum twelve hours a day every day since October to settle this issue once and for all. THE ONE TRUE GUIDE TO CHOOSING A LAW SCHOOL: Criterion #1: Go to school in the province where you want to work. This will help you build your network and minimize difficulties of changing jurisdictions where the laws may differ. Criterion #2: Minimize your debt. All Canadian law schools give you the same JD and all differences in outcome are due to individual differences among students. The fact that some schools have stronger or weaker students says nothing about the school itself, so you may as well just get the degree as cheap as possible. Therefore, without further ado, the one true objective ranking of Canadian schools (for English speakers, at least. Don't know enough about the French side of things to comment): If you want to work in BC: 1. UVic 2. UBC 3. TRU If you want to work in Alberta: 1. U of A 2. U of C (might be the better choice if you're dead-set on Calgary). If you want to work in Saskatchewan: U of S If you want to work in Manitoba: U of M If you want to work in Ontario: Anywhere in Ontario but U of T. Lakehead for anywhere north of Sudbury. Only go to Ryerson as a last resort. If you want to work in New Brunswick: UNB. If you want to work in Nova Scotia: Dal. If you want to work in PEI: UNB (see criterion #2). If you want to work in Newfoundland: Wait for Memorial. If you want to work in the North: Haha no you don't. If you want to work in the States: T6 if you can, T7-14 if you must. Otherwise forget it.