mazzystar

When to send firm thank you emails?

Going to ask this again. when's usually the best time to send a thank you email? any pointers or tips on sending one? 

• Like 1

I've heard similar. It's OK to send it at the end of the day since you'll be expected to be very busy until then. It's also good to wait until the end of the day in case you want to drop some "you're my number one choice" wording in it. That's best to do after you've done your interviews for the day so you can be retrospective and honest about it.

1) send by this evening;

2) recall something that you spoke about; and

3) directly convey interest in the firm/coming back to speak to others etc. 

39 minutes ago, FortifiedEight said:

I've heard similar. It's OK to send it at the end of the day since you'll be expected to be very busy until then. It's also good to wait until the end of the day in case you want to drop some "you're my number one choice" wording in it. That's best to do after you've done your interviews for the day so you can be retrospective and honest about it.

I wouldn't recommend saying first choice until day two unless they gave you some really clear signs that they're really interested in you.

• Thanks 1

Is it appropriate to send an email to MAG thanking for the interview and expressing that I really want to work in their particular office? If it is, should I wait until Wednesday? Or send by the end of today (the interview was today). 

Thanks! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Orientalist said:

Is it appropriate to send an email to MAG thanking for the interview and expressing that I really want to work in their particular office? If it is, should I wait until Wednesday? Or send by the end of today (the interview was today). 

Thanks! 

Definitely appropriate and I think you should send the email today! 

• Like 1

Anyone have an example of how to drop the "you're my top choice" wording in. Something like wanting to come back and meet more people? I just want it to sound organic. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shades87 said:

Anyone have an example of how to drop the "you're my top choice" wording in. Something like wanting to come back and meet more people? I just want it to sound organic. 

Be explicit. Don't make it so that they're unclear on where they stand in your list.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Shades87 said:

No idea. My CSO director specifically said to avoid "first-choice" language in these emails, but didn't say why.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laws987654321 said:

Should you send personal emails to each lawyer you spoke to? I spoke to 8 different lawyers in one firm 

it depends

Did you just poke your head into their office for 30 seconds? If so, then probably not.

Did two lawyers interview you at the same time? In which case, I would write one email addressing the both of them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shades87 said:

I really enjoy talking to X and Y. I especially enjoyed X's story about her time working here. The story really resonated with me and I think I  could really see myself working at the firm and adding value to your files. I look forward to meeting with more lawyers at your firm and really learn about the work at your firm. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orientalist said:

Thanks! 

Asap. Why wait? Tell me what is your rationale for waiting?

• Like 1

Sorry for quad posting, but I wanted to make sure everyone got an answer.

Feel free to reach out to me by pm. I know the recruit is a stressful time, and I know how easy it is to overthink things. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, hmyo said:

it depends

Did you just poke your head into their office for 30 seconds? If so, then probably not.

Did two lawyers interview you at the same time? In which case, I would write one email addressing the both of them. 

Two lawyers at a time - I emailed the lawyer who was organizing the whole thing and have been given a second round offer, should I still email all the lawyers? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, laws987654321 said:

Two lawyers at a time - I emailed the lawyer who was organizing the whole thing and have been given a second round offer, should I still email all the lawyers? 

It doesn't hurt, and what do you have you lose? 

If I were in your shoes, I would send 4 emails. Each email addressed the 2 lawyers that interviewed you every block. 

Purely anecdotal but I can tell you a positive experience for myself. I interviewed with 6 lawyers at a firm. I sent my thank you emails as usual, and one of the lawyers took that email and CC'd the lawyer who was going to interview me the next day. I thought that was kinda cool. Maybe this lawyer would have done it anyway without a thank you email, but I'll never know. Point is, it cost 2 minutes of my time to send a thank you email, and there's no downside.  Realistically, I was just repasting the same template and changing one sentence anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, laws987654321 said:

what firm is this

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hmyo said:

It doesn't hurt, and what do you have you lose? 

If I were in your shoes, I would send 4 emails. Each email addressed the 2 lawyers that interviewed you every block. 

Purely anecdotal but I can tell you a positive experience for myself. I interviewed with 6 lawyers at a firm. I sent my thank you emails as usual, and one of the lawyers took that email and CC'd the lawyer who was going to interview me the next day. I thought that was kinda cool. Maybe this lawyer would have done it anyway without a thank you email, but I'll never know. Point is, it cost 2 minutes of my time to send a thank you email, and there's no downside.  Realistically, I was just repasting the same template and changing one sentence anyway. 

thank you so much! really appreciate it :) 

• Like 1