lawschoollawschool

Letter from parent to corroborate equity essay?

I wrote the optional equity essay for Osgoode Hall. They suggest providing corroborative documentation and cite a letter from individuals with knowledge of the cited circumstances. I wrote about dealing with anxiety, the death of a family member and being a first-generation student. The only person that I can think of to write a letter corroborating these things (and in such short notice) is my mom, is it worth getting her to write one? Does it look bad to have a parent be the one the write it?

I don’t think you need to provide documentation unless you are citing that it affected your grades/LSAT. A parental note is also very subjective, so I would stay away from that if I were you 

I was in a similar situation last cycle, contacted admissions, and they mentioned a letter from a parent was fine to substantiate the equity considerations cited in my personal statement if I was unable to find another party. I was accepted, so it certainly didn't work against my application.

Also, I can't imagine the letter being "subjective", as the above poster stated, matters. Realistically it's purpose is to support the equity concerns cited elsewhere in your application. No admissions committee member would read it as if it's purpose was to serve as a letter of recommendation.

Edited by LabouriousCorvid

46 minutes ago, Pancake1999 said:

I don’t think you need to provide documentation unless you are citing that it affected your grades/LSAT. A parental note is also very subjective, so I would stay away from that if I were you 

Thanks for your reply! The subjective aspect was what was making me think it wasn't a good idea.

23 minutes ago, LabouriousCorvid said:

I was in a similar situation last cycle, contacted admissions, and they mentioned a letter from a parent was fine to substantiate the equity considerations cited in my personal statement if I was unable to find another party. I was accepted, so it certainly didn't work against my application.

Also, I can't imagine the letter being "subjective", as the above poster stated, matters. Realistically it's purpose is to support the equity concerns cited elsewhere in your application. No admissions committee member would read it as if it's purpose was to serve as a letter of recommendation.

Thanks for this! I think I'm going to go ahead with it.