JJ1990

Applied but not worrying

5 minutes ago, Pastrey said:

I’ve applied because it is my dream, but I know it is a long shot.  I have no university education, graduated college 20 years ago, and my LSAT score was only a 154. I am obviously a mature applicant LOL.

I submitted My application last night. I am not anxious or worried, probably because it is out of my hands now. I did the best I can do, and no matter what happens, I am ok.  I went in with the mindset I have nothing to lose. :)

Good luck!!! 

That's the mindset I'm going with too. If I get it, I get in. If i don't, then there are other options in life.

• Like 1

Why are you questioning yourself? It's normal to not have anxiety during the admission process. I'm a borderline applicant and I'm not anxious at all. If law school is the only thing going for you and if you view rejection as the end of the world, there's some grounds for anxiety. 

Some people are just calm and collected in these situations and you might be one of them. Don't overthink it :) 

11 minutes ago, Dreamchaser said:

Why are you questioning yourself? It's normal to not have anxiety during the admission process. I'm a borderline applicant and I'm not anxious at all. If law school is the only thing going for you and if you view rejection as the end of the world, there's some grounds for anxiety. 

Some people are just calm and collected in these situations and you might be one of them. Don't overthink it :) 

Thanks! 

50 minutes ago, Pastrey said:

I’ve applied because it is my dream, but I know it is a long shot.  I have no university education, graduated college 20 years ago, and my LSAT score was only a 154. I am obviously a mature applicant LOL.

I submitted My application last night. I am not anxious or worried, probably because it is out of my hands now. I did the best I can do, and no matter what happens, I am ok.  I went in with the mindset I have nothing to lose. :)

What a great mindset - you're cool 🙂 Thanks for sharing. I hope everything goes well for you!

• Like 3

I understand what you mean! After I applied, for a few weeks at least, I was SO anxious (obsessively checking my app statuses and reading these forums). I feel like that wave has passed now. It's out of my hands-- all I have to do is wait. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, QuincyWagstaff said:

If you think the phrase “nothing to do with” somehow could indicate a correlation, I’m also confused as to how you achieved an LSAT score that would give you so much security in being admitted. 

I’m unsure how to word this post so excuse me if it appears disjointed.

I hold the belief that those in a position of privilege and/or natural endowment, in all their forms (e.g. position in society, traditional IQ, EQ, artistic talent, etc), have an obligation to help others not so privileged or well endowed. And to do so in an uncondescending manner. We are all endowed in certain aspects of our lives and not so much in others. It behooves oneself to act accordingly.

I take particular issue with your response, and the “laughs” that your post has received, because you all seemingly fail to appreciate relatively well-known statistical phenomenon that renders your confusion, itself, confusing.

In point of fact in applied statistics it is assumed that everything is correlated with everything else. It has given rise to a number of sayings, such as: “everything is related to everything else”, “the null hypothesis is always false”, “coefficients are never zero”, and my personal favourite (see Paul Meehl and company) “Crud Factor”. Andrew Gelman (the world's foremost expert on Bayesian Statistics) has a lovely blog post entitled "Correlation does not even imply correlation". You state that you are confused how the OP can simultaneously take what you said for being able “to indicate a correlation” and achieve a relatively high LSAT score. This is not confusing (see above). No. It would be confusing if anything you said could be taken as to not be correlated. Though I take it that you did not mean to imply there was a correlation, by its very nature the constructs you discussed are likely to be correlated and your locution ("could somehow indicate") makes your confusion curious. For a rather fun exercise please see this website where all manner of unconnected phenomenon that have "nothing to do with [each other]" are highly correlated.

QW you are clearly an intellect of no small talent. Do not wield it in such a cavalier manor. The OP is confused. You being condescending does not help them, this forum, or society at large. Lets help others be better.

8 hours ago, Pastrey said:

As others have mentioned, you are very admirable. I very much respect and admire your commitment to your goal as well as your self realization. If you ever want to increase your LSAT to give yourself a better chance please PM me as I would be happy to help free of charge. 

14 hours ago, JJ1990 said:

I applied on OLSAS to Ontario schools two weeks ago.

Absolutely no anxiety at this point about being accepted to law school.

Is this normal? For those who have applied in the past, were you anxious at all throughout the process?

You've received a lot of feedback in this thread. Some good. Some bad. Some of well, some other vintage hard to put into words. 

My own $0.02 is that normal is defined by your reference group. If you are comparing yourself to the applicant pool at large you may be abnormal but that doesn't mean that you are on a different planet. As other have mentioned, calmness can sometimes be instilled by the fact that you have nothing else you can do. Once it's 100% out of your hands, not just 99% but 100%, it's kind of relieving. All you can do is wait. Now, i'd say come back to these forums when you notice acceptances going out to other applicants and yours is not yet in hand and see if you are still anxiety free. If you are, okay maybe you are something very odd, but until then it's a 50/50.

Also do not take lack of anxiety to mean that you do not care. I may be reading too much into your post but it seems like that's what you might be asking. And no. I do not think so. Just at this stage you can't do anything. So might as well enjoy the bliss. 

Edited by AllanRC
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3