canada18

Experience with the field of law.

Hi friends,

I am so glad I found this website because people on here give out such good information. I am a first year undergrad student in BC and I was wondering what possible job/volunteer opportunities are there so I can get some experience with law. I was wondering because I wanted to see if the whole idea of becoming a lawyer is good for me. If it is then I will have something to be motivated about and if it is not then I will explore other career ideas. I appreciate all the comments. 

8 minutes ago, canada18 said:

Hi friends,

I am so glad I found this website because people on here give out such good information. I am a first year undergrad student in BC and I was wondering what possible job/volunteer opportunities are there so I can get some experience with law. I was wondering because I wanted to see if the whole idea of becoming a lawyer is good for me. If it is then I will have something to be motivated about and if it is not then I will explore other career ideas. I appreciate all the comments. 

You probably won't be able to get a job/volunteer unless you know someone or have a family member in the field. 

What I and most others did was just networking with current lawyers. Most lawyers are very receptive and love talking about themselves/their practices to get you a good idea of what it's all about. 

Your university probably has an alumni mentorship program where you can be paired with an alum that's a practicing lawyer so that's probably a good option as well to get familiar with it. 

Your uni probably also has a prelaw society that hosts events some of which are panels with current lawyers. That's also a good option to get familiar. You can probably reach out directly to those lawyers after the events to answer any lingering questions you may have. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OnlyResident said:

What I and most others did was just networking with current lawyers. Most lawyers are very receptive and love talking about themselves/their practices to get you a good idea of what it's all about. 

I'm sorry but I am kind of dumb could you further explain this. So you mean just look up a random lawyer in my area and ask around if I can volunteer?

2 minutes ago, OnlyResident said:

Your university probably has an alumni mentorship program where you can be paired with an alum that's a practicing lawyer so that's probably a good option as well to get familiar with it. 

I am in a smaller university (should have chosen UBC but its fine) I don't think my university has anything like this I will ask the prelaw society

3 minutes ago, OnlyResident said:

Your uni probably also has a prelaw society that hosts events some of which are panels with current lawyers. That's also a good option to get familiar. You can probably reach out directly to those lawyers after the events to answer any lingering questions you may have. 

The prelaw society at my school kinda sucks tbh I was hoping that they will do something like this but they haven't. I am going to reach out to them just to see 

I agree with @OnlyResident

It's hard to get a job within a law firm as a non-law student unless you know someone at the firm. 

There are occasionally some undergrad students/high school students at my firm doing filing or other menial tasks, but they're always related to one of the lawyers. 

Some legal non-profits look for volunteers. In BC, I know West Coast LEAF takes on volunteers. 

2 minutes ago, canada18 said:

So you mean just look up a random lawyer in my area and ask around if I can volunteer?

Yup. Literally google law firms in your area, pull up their website, find a lawyer, email them asking if you can work/volunteer in their office.

Or, failing that, ask if they have time to chat on Zoom for 30 minutes so you can ask them questions about the career (make sure to prepare questions ahead of time).

• Like 2

Try a Business Law course. If your school has a faculty of business they'll most likely have such a course. Should give you some insight into contracts, torts, corporate law, etc. Maybe it wouldn't help that much in terms of seeing what practising law is like, but at least you'd get exposure to some substantive law. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canuckfanatic said:

I agree with @OnlyResident

It's hard to get a job within a law firm as a non-law student unless you know someone at the firm. 

There are occasionally some undergrad students/high school students at my firm doing filing or other menial tasks, but they're always related to one of the lawyers. 

Some legal non-profits look for volunteers. In BC, I know West Coast LEAF takes on volunteers. 

Yup. Literally google law firms in your area, pull up their website, find a lawyer, email them asking if you can work/volunteer in their office.

Or, failing that, ask if they have time to chat on Zoom for 30 minutes so you can ask them questions about the career (make sure to prepare questions ahead of time).

Thank You! Kind of scared to email a random lawyer but I will give it a shot. There is actually a law firm walking distance from my house so I am kind of excited now. Again, can't say this enough but this website so super helpful!!!

1 minute ago, canada18 said:

Kind of scared to email a random lawyer but I will give it a shot.

Lawyers loooove talking about themselves and love to give people advice. There's nothing to be scared of.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

Lawyers loooove talking about themselves and love to give people advice. There's nothing to be scared of.

Is this good...also does it matter if I email a partner or associate

Hi Mr/Ms.(first name, last name),

My name is (my name) and I am currently attending (blank) university studying first year science and potentially switching to political science. I have always had an interest in law since taking a Law. 12 class in grade.11 and I wanted to further explore the field. I want to know what life is like of a BC lawyer and if this career is right for me. 

Thanks for the advice

8 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

Plus, atleast in the before times, they would buy you coffee 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, canada18 said:

Is this good...also does it matter if I email a partner or associate

Hi Mr/Ms.(first name, last name),

My name is (my name) and I am currently attending (blank) university studying first year science and potentially switching to political science. I have always had an interest in law since taking a Law. 12 class in grade.11 and I wanted to further explore the field. I want to know what life is like of a BC lawyer and if this career is right for me. 

Thanks for the advice

I'm going to PM you so we don't clog up the forum