eastcoaster1

Halifax Pay Progression

Hi! I know this has been asked before but it's been a few years and I'm just stating law school now so Im looking for some updated information. 

Does anyone know what the salary range is for the big three in Halifax is? The ZSA toolkit from 2019 says 60k is the highest for first years - which seems kinda low to me but I don't know much about the market. Trying to gauge how accurate it is to determine if Halifax is somewhere I want to apply. Does anyone have any insight on the pay progression for say the first 3 years or so? Or would you say the ZSA toolkit is accurate? 

Seems accurate to me. I bet first years start out at $60k. I'd say they'll be near $80k by year 3 or so. My information is likely out of date, but ranges seem right. 

Its been a few years since I have inquired about this it but $60k would be abnormally high from my recollection, try $45k, moving to $70k by year 3-4. $30-35k starting if you're not at the large firms. When I was just starting I remember the rates seemed to have deflected even basic inflation, with people saying telling me this was the pay range since roughly early 2000's. It is even less justifiable with the way housing is going now.

Edited by atOnz
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, atOnz said:

Its been a few years since I have inquired about this it but $60k would be abnormally high from my recollection, try $45k, moving to $70k by year 3-4. $30-35k starting if you're not at the large firms. When I was just starting I remember the rates seemed to have deflected even basic inflation, with people saying telling me this was the pay range since roughly early 2000's. It is even less justifiable with the way housing is going now.

I'm aware that the "bigger firms" of StewartMcKelvey and BoyneClarke work their clerks at Bay Streets hours with compensation around $40k. I haven't heard a lot about progression, but $60k after 3 years sounds about right.  My advice: unless you have family ties or other personal reasons for staying in the city, take your talent somewhere else where the pay better reflects effort. 

Cost of living, relative to pay, is high and growing. A quick search shows non-dive bachelor and one-bedroom units are going to run you $1000-$1200/mo (and climbing 10-15% per year). If you're like many clerks/young lawyers, you're probably saddled with upwards of six-figures worth of student debt and will find the period of financial strain longer than other in other provinces/cities. 

Boyne Clarke isn't big 3.  Base salaries for Atlantic big 3 in 2020: 1st year 65-70k,  by third year ~85k. 

4 hours ago, jlw2 said:

Boyne Clarke isn't big 3.  Base salaries for Atlantic big 3 in 2020: 1st year 65-70k,  by third year ~85k. 

Oh, sorry. That's right, it's only the other large-size firm in Halifax after McInnesCooper, StewartMcKelvey, and Cox&Palmer. 

What firm(s) is the $65-70k range for first year calls? It's hard to imagine anyone jumping that high from $40-45k after being called...

Edited by Phaedrus

Nothing against Boyne Clarke.  I just don't have salary info on them - my comments are re: big 3 only.  And the example of a jump from articling salary to first year salary is pretty reflective of what actually happens.  You are worth more as a practicing lawyer. 

On 11/6/2020 at 10:50 AM, jlw2 said:

Those first year figures are much higher than what they were a few years ago at at least one of the big 3. Are those estimates?