Sign in to follow this  
verolaw22

OLSAS Sketch: Cancelled internship

Hi there, 

I was accepted to a really prestigious and competitive international internship program this summer but unfortunately, it was postponed due to COVID.-19. Should I still include it and state that it has been postponed? Would doing so look like Im kinda scrapping the bottom?

Yes, don't post it. It looks really silly when people do things like "I got a job offer from Google but didn't accept it" or "I got into Harvard for undergrad but went to my local college instead." The lack of one internship isn't going to make or break your applications. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, verolaw22 said:

Hi there, 

I was accepted to a really prestigious and competitive international internship program this summer but unfortunately, it was postponed due to COVID.-19. Should I still include it and state that it has been postponed? Would doing so look like Im kinda scrapping the bottom?

postponed, as in you're still going to do it next year? or postponed, as in postponed indefinitely. If the former, I'd mention you were selected for the year it's postponed to. If the latter, leave it off. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Policywonk said:

Yes, don't post it. It looks really silly when people do things like "I got a job offer from Google but didn't accept it" or "I got into Harvard for undergrad but went to my local college instead." The lack of one internship isn't going to make or break your applications. 

Thanks so much! I just deleted it. When you put it like that, I can see it looking very stupid to an admissions officer :P

30 minutes ago, conge said:

postponed, as in you're still going to do it next year? or postponed, as in postponed indefinitely. If the former, I'd mention you were selected for the year it's postponed to. If the latter, leave it off. 

I ended up deleting it because it was supposedly postponed until January and then pushed back again until May. I feel like it will keep getting pushed back because it is government funded so by the time I am allowed to go I will (hopefully) be in law school. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• I feel the same way about anyone who is really into canoe tripping, Neil Degrasse Tyson/astrophysics, or Harry Potter. If someone hits all three guaranteed hire back. I've asked in a couple of interviews, "so, tell us which house you would be sorted into at Hogwarts and why" and the replies have been entertaining. We do ask some serious questions too.
    • Can't speak to your work, and that doesn't really sound like your primary concern anyway, but rather dealing with a lack of organization, concentration, motivation, and an overarching feeling of everything falling apart.  I've seen a few replies and already can guess the rest of the replies follow suit in the fashion of "go easy on yourself" or something along those lines. Not to say these aren't helpful replies, although admittedly I've never really found them to connect or be helpful but thats probably just me seeing as everyone generally participates in sharing such sentiments.  Instead I will offer some simple anecdote to tackle what I consider to be your primary concern as mentioned.  Your day is only as good as your morning: Wake up early, head straight into the shower, get dressed (even if you're not leaving home), have breakfast, coffee, get to doing what needs to be done.    All my good days begin with a strong morning that follow these steps. If you're not doing this, do it.   
    • It was the optional part of the application to Osgoode on OLSAS that allowed you to provide details on the following if they relate to your situation: Select any of the following consid­erations that are relevant to your application.a) Equityb) Work or life experiencec) Performance consid­erationsd) Diversity It then said: Elaborate on the selected consid­erations (maximum 2,500 characters). All information will remain strictly confid­ential.
    • If some one I interviewed mentioned they’re really into Hollow Knight I would probably hire them on the spot so we could be done with the pesky work stuff and then spend the next hour speculating on when SilkSong is coming out. 
    • I worked on a remote basis as a summer student in private practice in 2020. For OP and anyone who might be worried about the uncertainties of how that works out, in my experience the technology set up was the easy part, as in the support staff did their jobs well and I rarely had technical difficulties, but unfortunately there is just no perfect substitute for walking by someone's office and poking your head in for a chat about work/non-work stuff. There were one or two lawyers who went out of their way to reach out and set up calls with me just to chat and get to know each other more casually, and it was super special knowing that they intentionally took time out of their day to make a student feel welcomed. The lawyers who assigned me work were very approachable and encouraged reaching out via texts/calls but I pretty much did not interact with lawyers who were not in the habit of working with students. My group chat with my fellow students was a life line, though, we watched out for one another and helped each other out with lessening the load when some of us were drowning in deadlines or needed an extra hand with specific tasks. That's the other thing with getting work assignments remotely, lawyers wouldn't oversee/overhear what their colleagues are doing in the students' area of the office and they also wouldn't be able to just walk by the students and see how busy/not busy they seem to be. The responsibility is on the student to assess their workload and decide if they need to de-prioritize and re-negotiate certain tasks and deadlines or recommend the lawyer to assign the task to another, less busy student.