I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion on what I should do for my letters of reference. I have one academic reference, however, I have switched schools and programs throughout my undergrad, so pretty well all of my profs I only had for one class, and I completed the majority of my degree online as well, so no face-to-face interaction. I know Dal says that you need 2 academic references, and if those cannot be supplied then you need to provide a document outlining why 2 academic references could not be provided. I have worked at the same job for 6 years, and I feel as though my manager would be better than any prof to be able to attest to my work ethic and character anyways. Do you think I should provide one academic reference and then a work reference and then just describe basically what I have mentioned here?

I would follow the school’s guidelines, even if it may be a weaker reference than your manager. I’m in a similar situation, my second academic reference doesn’t know me as well as my manager but in my opinion, if a prof says yes to acting as a reference, they are saying that they feel they know you well enough to at least give you a positive academic review, which is what you need. Also, from what I’ve heard, Dal is more numbers-based so I don’t think a “meh” academic reference will have a significant impact on your chances. I felt that if I decided to use a non-academic reference when the admission guidelines were very clear in what is required, it may be viewed negatively by the admissions committee. Either way, I don’t think references are a huge deal. Just my two cents. Best of luck friend!

Hey @PinkBarbie101, I would agree with what @Toby1994 said, with one addition:

You aren't capped on your letters of reference, which means you can ALSO submit a letter of reference from your employer. So you might as well try to secure an additional academic reference to comply with the guidelines, which can be supplemented by your stronger employment reference.

Good luck!

• Like 1