districtattorneyeeve

1Ls how're you doing with Covid? Honestly

Not to say that people in person are disingenuous in person or just too afraid to speak out in class or in "town halls". There's no admin here, it's relatively anonymous. So really, how are you doing? I feel like I can't be the only one disgusted and hating the experience of law school. 

And no I don't mean the workload, I don't mean in terms of matching pre covid expectations. But genuinely, does anyone really like their class mates or how their school is handling all of this?

Also no pressure but please share where you go, really toying with the idea of exploring the option to transfer.

And yes, I know there's another thread about hating law school from a few days ago or so but I can't help but feel its lost its sense of direction.

• Like 2

I honestly can't understand what you're even asking, given that it starts with "how are you doing with COVID?" and somehow ends up at "does anyone really like their classmates?"

• Like 1

As a general note, do remember that after an hour your post stays up forever. So sharing which school you are at or which class you are in are identifying details that can be read in conjunction with other posts you make here. 

Not trying to deter people from replying but telling you all now will likely save the mods some work later. 

• Like 2

I'm not a student anymore, obviously, but I can't really tell what the OP is asking either. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from discussing their issues here, and this forum has done a good job traditionally with supporting students who are struggling with law school for all variety of reasons. I'd like to see that continue. So in the spirit of helping the OP get whatever they are hoping to get, I'd suggest at least some kind of content here would encourage better contributions.

Also, I'd urge everyone to consider this problem, which has no general solution but which is useful to keep in mind. Students are often disappointed with law school. Every year there's guaranteed to be a minority of students who just really don't like it, for a range of reasons that are sometimes very reasonable and understandable, sometimes not, and most often in between. That's not at all new. And then there's Covid, which is entirely new.

I don't expect anyone to easily draw the line between discontent that's caused entirely by Covid and discontent that's more typical. The person who is actually experiencing the discontent has never been to law school before, so what are they even comparing it to? It's tough.

So I guess I'm just saying, if you're not dealing well, that sucks, and we're here to help. But if you decide in advance you know what the problem is, and why there's a problem, and who's fault it is...we can't really help much. You'd probably be better off starting with the general idea that there's a problem you need to sort out, and try to narrow it down with more feedback.

• Like 4

I'm a 2L, and having experienced 1L in person, I can say that the online platform takes almost all the joy out of law school. This is saying a lot since I'm now taking courses I'm actually interested in and doing activities that are far more interesting than in 1L. Not saying that what you are experiencing is not valid, but just note that whatever the experience is, it is likely much inferior to what it would have been in-person. Here's hoping that at least September next year we can all go back to filling physical bums in physical seats.

• Like 7

To @masterofnut@Diplock, and everyone else who read the original post sorry about how unclear that jumble was. At the time it honestly felt better to just yell on an online platform instead of on my balcony. I guess all in all I was just looking to see if other 1Ls were struggling to adjust to law school like I am with covid going on at all. 

I know the mental health services at my school are always at capacity and are not able to take more appointments so a lot of us are left without support.

Academically, I am struggling with zoom lectures and I was curious what everyone else's experiences were like. 
Are other 1Ls finding that they do most of their learning from studying upper years' 1L notes? 
Personally so far I've been beating the curve but I feel like I should be getting more out of lectures or like my approach might not work on actual exams and am just anxious about that.

Emotionally, I don't know which schools have small groups or things like that, but are other 1Ls feeling super isolated and just overall alienated and like they don't belong or again am I just weird?
For upper years who can chime in, like did you find your umm place? in the school in 1L or did you have to get into second to start finding people you clicked with?
Is it normal to be this depressed? like factoring in covid and everything because I understand its a situation that we have limited influence over, but like idk tbh just trying to cope and really struggling with being alone constantly and feeling abandoned.

My interest in other schools is more or less to just trash myself even more for feeling like I picked the wrong school, even though I doubt there'd be any discernable difference.

Again sorry if the original post came off narrow minded or ignorant or just dumb. Sorry if this one does😅. Just desperately needed to voice something somewhere.

• Like 6

Hi! I am a 1L at uOttawa. I honestly hate Zoom this is really not how I anticipated my first year of law school would ever be like. It's very tiring to be on the computer all the time and not seeing people in person. Some people in my program did make a study group which is essentially a zoom room that is always open, which helps a little because we chat and study together. But all in all, being home all the time is not good for my mental health. There are some good points, which are that I can continue to live at home, and it does save time to not have to commute. Still, I really really hope it won't be like this next year.

• Like 8

I'm a 2L and can honestly say there is no joy in online law school.  I've always enjoyed being in class to learn, so that's a big part of it for me.  It is a means to an end, which is unfortunate.  The experience of being in law school is sooo much richer in person.  Partly though I do find less pressure because of the lack of chatter in the halls about that next assignment or exam or whatever.  But that's a very teensy tiny benefit to the insurmountable loss of getting to really engage with professors, getting to know your classmates and community outside of class, etc. Hang in there, at least you have 2 more years to hopefully get back in person.  I will be most devastated if 2021 is a repeat of this year and I graduate with only one year on a campus:-(  I can't even...

Edited by 2019hopeful
grammar
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

I hate law school, I'm having a horrible time, I regret this decision immensely, I think my school is doing an awful job of handling things.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Ya I hate zoom uni. I'm probably getting more studying done but the main reason I even wanted to attend law school was the social aspect. I'm sick of staring at a screen all day and having conversations online (or even on Zoom) is much more draining than they would be if they were in person. I find a lot of people have been feeling the same and take a while to respond to messages online. It's hard to carry a conversation sometimes. I find myself turning down in-person social invitations just out of fear of COVID.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Doesn't it feel amazing to get up in the morning and go to the your computer in your jammies and not worry about parking or anything? Zoom uni sounds like a dream to me and I'm actually so sad I missed it. 

2 hours ago, lawstudent300 said:

main reason I even wanted to attend law school was the social aspect.

the main reason wasn't to become a lawyer? I feel like there are better/cheaper ways to socialize

Edited by legallybrunette3

4 minutes ago, legallybrunette3 said:

the main reason wasn't to become a lawyer? I feel like there are better/cheaper ways to socialize

Knock it off, you're a 0L. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, legallybrunette3 said:

and?

You're not in a position to question how frustrated people are with their law school experience right now. Learn to read the room. 

Edited by Tagger
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Tagger said:

You're not in a position to question how frustrating the law school experience is right now. Learn to read the room. 

And you're not in a position to tell me what i'm in the position to ask other people here? If i've broken some kind of 0L rule, mods please delete, otherwise thanks for your suggestion? 

and I never questioned anyone's frustration so I don't even know why you're coming at me tbh. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tagger said:

You're not in a position to question how frustrated people are with their law school experience right now. Learn to read the room. 

Q7. The reasoning in the argument above is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that the argument

A) Is directed against the proponent of a claim rather than against the claim itself

Edited by spse95
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, spse95 said:

Unoriginal LSAT retort here

The frustration people have about losing out on the social aspect of 1L and law school is very real. Show a little bit of care. 

Edited by Tagger
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1