Lsh92

Resume question

Hi Guys 

i just got a job offer as a legal assistant  from a mid sized law firm. I am applying for Ryerson and Windsor and the application is due November 1. Now I am wondering since this job starts mid November, I want to include it to my resume for these law schools. Should I be doing it? Can I mention this in my resume with the start date on it? 

Don't bother. You shouldn't list experience you don't actually have yet, and this will make zero difference to your applications in any case.

I think it's pretty presumptive to put jobs or accomplishments on resumes that haven't actually happened yet. I think it comes off as cocky and stupid when I see people do this. The offer could be rescinded; you could get sick and not be able to take the job. Focus your resume on your actual work experience and accomplishments. 

woah that sounds so cool. I was reading your story from before (the post named help) and I am so proud. I am a first yer undergrad student(in bc) just exploring into law and I wanted to know how you got into the position(sorry if this sounds creepy). Am I qualified for a job like this? I was wondering because I want to see if law is a right career for me and maybe being a legal assistant will help me have some experience and see if I love or hate the job

18 minutes ago, canada18 said:

woah that sounds so cool. I was reading your story from before (the post named help) and I am so proud. I am a first yer undergrad student(in bc) just exploring into law and I wanted to know how you got into the position(sorry if this sounds creepy). Am I qualified for a job like this? I was wondering because I want to see if law is a right career for me and maybe being a legal assistant will help me have some experience and see if I love or hate the job

Thank you.
I am in my 2nd year undergrad. I’ve had a few stops from when I was 20-28 (presently) I’ve been managing my family business since I was 20 and had many domestic obligations because of which I couldn’t do school full time. I did volunteering at access pro bono and also some mentor ship roles in my university. I was able to build some connections through access pro bono. I did a lot of admin work there. Through which I got this job offer. One of the lawyers I was volunteering with works at this firm. you could always apply for a floater position which almost every law firms hires for. It’s basically reception and legal admin mix role. But before that I would say volunteer at access pro bono, where you work for lawyers and fill out there paper work and build connections. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lsh92 said:

Thank you.
I am in my 2nd year undergrad. I’ve had a few stops from when I was 20-28 (presently) I’ve been managing my family business since I was 20 and had many domestic obligations because of which I couldn’t do school full time. I did volunteering at access pro bono and also some mentor ship roles in my university. I was able to build some connections through access pro bono. I did a lot of admin work there. Through which I got this job offer. One of the lawyers I was volunteering with works at this firm. you could always apply for a floater position which almost every law firms hires for. It’s basically reception and legal admin mix role. But before that I would say volunteer at access pro bono, where you work for lawyers and fill out there paper work and build connections. 

wow thanks. Never heard of access pro bono but I will definitely check it out. It has been hard lately to do some career exploring. My plan was that after grade 12 in the summer I would reach out and volunteer but then miss.corona decided to visit. Thanks for this advice i appreciate it. :) 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, canada18 said:

Am I qualified for a job like this?

I keep stumbling across your questions in different threads! The short answer is yes.

I know legal assistants who worked at small firms during undergrad. There are no real requirements, it's a typical office job with administrative tasks (filing, answering phones, preparing documents from templates, filling out forms, etc.). I know a firm in Vancouver that had a couple undergrad legal assistants, and all they really wanted was someone who was interested in law. 

Keep in mind that not all firms are like this, but there are firms that hire undergrad students.