VitalGiraffe

In my Final Year and Bombed a Significant Midterm. Shoud I Withdraw?

Will you get your grade back before the decision deadline?

I wrote a final in law school that I thought I bombed. A+. 

I wrote a calculus final in undergrad that I scored a raw ~30% on. That ended up as a solid B after it had to be curved. 

10 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

Take the W, it won't do anything to your law admission chances. It's worth protecting that upward trend.

Even though I have a lot from my first few years?

Do you think I should add a half credit next semester to compensate?

Edited by VitalGiraffe

2 minutes ago, BringBackCrunchBerries said:

Will you get your grade back before the decision deadline?

I wrote a final in law school that I thought I bombed. A+. 

I wrote a calculus final in undergrad that I scored a raw ~30% on. That ended up as a solid B after it had to be curved. 

Yes, and I obviously won't do anything until I know the actual grade. I would like to have a plan on the worst case scenario prepared.

I honestly do think it may get curved, but not enough to help me. Most profs during Covid have made the courses slightly easier, or less demanding. This professor did the exact opposite. He doubled down saying that we now have "more time"... I am swapping the other class I have with him next semester as we speak.

12 minutes ago, VitalGiraffe said:

Do you think I should add a half credit next semester to compensate?

Your record is littered with Ws? That probably does influence the decision but I don't think anyone here can actually give you good advice about what to do. 

I don't think law schools will care about the bare fact that you took an extra credit in second semester this year. If you think you can get a good grade in that extra course and it might ever so slightly increase your bad GPA then sure, do it, but from what you have already said about a job ruining your study habits common sense should be telling you not to overload unless you are required to by some technical definition within eligibility requirements. There is a risk that you end up with too much on your plate and multiple grades are depressed. 

Edited by BringBackCrunchBerries

10 minutes ago, VitalGiraffe said:

Ah, I was under the assumption that this was a one-off or maybe a two-off.

On the one hand, what's another W if you already have a lot?

On the other hand, not having any more W's supports your upward trend.

On the third hand, if you take your licks and accept the poor midterm mark, you can still technically have an upward trend. Upward trends involve minor fluctuations, getting one bad mark doesn't undo the entire trend. 

If you're not applying in the general category (as opposed to access), then I would keep the grade to demonstrate that you've overcome the things that made you withdraw from courses earlier in your degree. If you're applying access, take the W if you can explain the aspects of your life that necessitated withdrawing. 

FWIW, I had poor marks in 1st/2nd year but my grades trended upwards as I continued. I still had some awful marks in my last 2 years, but they didn't undo the fact that overall I was clearly a better student than I used to be.

7 hours ago, VitalGiraffe said:

Western and Queens as well as the holistic schools in Ontario. L2 is currently 3.15, hopefully 3.7 after this year. Current LSAT is 157, hopefully mid 160s next year. Obviously a lot of unknowns at this point.

The most urgent advice I'm looking for is whether or not to drop this course.

flip a coin

To those still following I got the mark back and it was 70%. It is also worth 40% not 45%. This is better than I expected but obviously still not great. I'm leaning towards keeping the course now. What do you think?

35 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

Head drop

Tail keep

You still think its that close of a call? I think that the withdraw doesn't look very good compared to whatever I can pull this mark up to but will flip a coin if need be.