asdfghjkl1223456

Personal Statement Part B

does anyone know if our responses to the prompts (aside from question 1), have to relate back to law school and why we're pursuing a legal education? I chose to write about the question that asks you to talk about a work of art that has significantly impacted you. I didn't relate it back to pursuing law, especially at Western, and just wrote my response more creatively and...just genuinely. 

is this recommended or should I find a way to link back how the impact relates to my skills and why I want to go to law school? 

any last-minute recommendations would be appreciated!

As I understand it, this is the first year Western has had this kind of Part B (it used to be a fact pattern), so it's hard to say what does or doesn't have to be there. I would advise you to do what feels right. If the question doesn't tell you that you "have" to link it to why you want to go to law school, don't. However I would try and work something into your answer that relates to yourself as a law student, even just briefly. It doesn't have to be forced or too explicit if that feels fake. Your personal statement is really your only opportunity to advocate for yourself as an applicant to the law school directly and you have very little room to do so. Maybe you have an eye for detail or love of analysis and part of why you like this particular artwork ties into that. Maybe this particular artwork has been intellectually stimulating for you in a way that has changed how you approach complex issues. Law schools do want well-rounded individuals who have interests outside of school and the law, so you don't have to tie every single thing back to why you want a legal education, but at the same time they want to know what kind of law student you'd be. If you can find a way to incorporate some of that into Part B (without compromising the sincerity and creativity of your answer) you should have a good answer.

Edited by lewcifer
rephrased for clarity
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, lewcifer said:

As I understand it, this is the first year Western has had this kind of Part B (it used to be a fact pattern), so it's hard to say what does or doesn't have to be there. I would advise you to do what feels right. If the question doesn't tell you that you "have" to link it to why you want to go to law school, don't. However I would try and work something into your answer that relates to yourself as a law student, even just briefly. It doesn't have to be forced or too explicit if that feels fake. Your personal statement is really your only opportunity to advocate for yourself as an applicant to the law school directly and you have very little room to do so. Maybe you have an eye for detail or love of analysis and part of why you like this particular artwork ties into that. Maybe this particular artwork has been intellectually stimulating for you in a way that has changed how you approach complex issues. Law schools do want well-rounded individuals who have interests outside of school and the law, so you don't have to tie every single thing back to why you want a legal education, but at the same time they want to know what kind of law student you'd be. If you can find a way to incorporate some of that into Part B (without compromising the sincerity and creativity of your answer) you should have a good answer.

this makes perfect sense! thank you so much! 

• Like 1

also, can this question be interpreted as your own work of art? painting is my hobby and i have developed useful skills because of it. but not sure if its appropriate to talk about a piece i painted?

Edited by MissRune363

3 hours ago, MissRune363 said:

also, can this question be interpreted as your own work of art? painting is my hobby and i have developed useful skills because of it. but not sure if its appropriate to talk about a piece i painted?

I feel like that would be a unique approach! I talked about an essay, which I'm still not sure if that really fits, but art is subjective and anything can be art, right? at least that's how I'm rationalizing it LOL 

Edited by asdfghjkl1223456
  • Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 3:21 PM, MissRune363 said:

I talked about a piece that I created too, and I don't see how it would not satisfy the prompt!

• Like 1

I was gonna start a new thread but saw this so I figured I would just ask -- 

I just finished part B for Western. I finished at 1,999 characters out of 2,000. Just wondering, did anyone specify which question they had answered?

Do you think it would be okay if I just put #5 at the very beginning? 

25 minutes ago, aishxxxx said:

I was gonna start a new thread but saw this so I figured I would just ask -- 

I just finished part B for Western. I finished at 1,999 characters out of 2,000. Just wondering, did anyone specify which question they had answered?

Do you think it would be okay if I just put #5 at the very beginning? 

I don't see why not? but I would assume that the answers for each of the questions are distinct enough that they don't need you to refer to the question number to understand which one you're responding to? 

What is everyone else doing?

26 minutes ago, asdfghjkl1223456 said:

I don't see why not? but I would assume that the answers for each of the questions are distinct enough that they don't need you to refer to the question number to understand which one you're responding to? 

What is everyone else doing?

Yeah, I just ended up putting #5 at the top and input my text on the next line.