neymarsr

Another British Columbia No-Fault Post

I know this has already been discussed here, but with the votes in and the NDP keeping control of B.C., what are peoples thoughts on this drastic and what now seems inevitable change?

If you’re a PI lawyer in B.C. who’s income depends on MVA claims, what’s the game plan here? Are we likely to see a exodus of lawyers from B.C. to the jurisdictions where money can still be made? 

You’d think it would also affect summer jobs and articling positions in B.C. (and by extension there will be more people applying for the jobs that remain and jobs in other provinces).

Oh boy. I don’t like this. No I don’t like this at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, neymarsr said:

If you’re a PI lawyer in B.C. who’s income depends on MVA claims, what’s the game plan here? Are we likely to see a exodus of lawyers from B.C. to the jurisdictions where money can still be made? 

Individual PI lawyers are mostly just going to change practice areas, their practice is still a litigation practice. I rub shoulders mostly with sole prac and small firm PI lawyers but they really aren't concerned about it.

I really don't think that it's lawyers who are going to be the big loser in this.

• Like 1

I am a business lawyer at a mid-sized firm that includes eight personal injury / ICBC defense lawyers. I understand these lawyers expect the pre-no-fault files to keep them busy for approximately the next five years. Four of the lawyers are senior calls who I expect will retire within the next five years or when the work dries up. The other four lawyers already have somewhat varied practices, and I understand they intend to put greater emphasis on other practice areas over time, including family, construction, estate litigation and commercial litigation. One of the lawyers recently added an immigration law practice to his service offering.

• Like 2

We have a file with opposing counsel newly transitioned from ICBC Defense to Family.

WhoooDoggy- what a colossal pain in the buttukus. There seems to be a different attitude about disclosure, client management, collaboration, - well just about everything really. 

I know sample size = 1. But I did wonder if this transition is going to be widespread will the lawyers change or will family law in BC go back to where it was 15 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Rumpy said:

We have a file with opposing counsel newly transitioned from ICBC Defense to Family.

WhoooDoggy- what a colossal pain in the buttukus. There seems to be a different attitude about disclosure, client management, collaboration, - well just about everything really. 

I know sample size = 1. But I did wonder if this transition is going to be widespread will the lawyers change or will family law in BC go back to where it was 15 years ago.

One possible upside: maybe these civil-> family lawyers will actually have read and understood the Supreme Court Family Rules. Unlike many current family law practitioners, who seem to think rules of court don’t apply in family law. 

Edited by QuincyWagstaff
  • Haha 1

On 10/25/2020 at 10:30 AM, lawstudent20202020 said:

Individual PI lawyers are mostly just going to change practice areas, their practice is still a litigation practice. I rub shoulders mostly with sole prac and small firm PI lawyers but they really aren't concerned about it.

I really don't think that it's lawyers who are going to be the big loser in this.

Agree X 2.  Biggest losers: car crash victims who will be left hanging when ICBC cuts off their Part 7 no fault benefits off with no one to help them and no tort claim to get non-pecuniary damages. The NDP snuck this all through in the middle of a pandemic  - no referendum, no public consultation.  It really smells wrong (like the election) but the NDP have even more power as of today than last week.

My mid-size firm also has a hefty ICBC defense practice, along with a bit of plaintiff PI work. What @NucksFTW said is the same thing that's happening here.

The younger lawyers in the insurance group are adding commercial litigation, construction litigation, and real estate litigation to their arsenal. 

On our website under "practice areas" we had PI listed at the top. During a marketing meeting we decided that we'll be moving it to the bottom soon.

Apparently some are trying to get into class action work.  Going after carriage against some big bois.

this is an interesting post which warrants discussion.

If the OP can provide links to other relevant discussion posts, that would also be helpful if "it's already been discussed here".