Sign in to follow this  
0Lawschool2020

I want to apply to Windsor BUT the non-academic reference is giving me pause

I have two (what I think are) very strong academic references. If I were to get a non-academic reference for Windsor, it would be from my manager from my last two years of a bartending job. I know my manager would only have good things to say about me (I was even on track for a promotion if I had continued working there, but I left due to COVID moving me out of the city). My concern is that if I submit three letters that some schools would choose two at random to read. I don't want schools that prefer two academic letters to end up reading my manager's letter in lieu of my other, stronger, letter. I guess I'm worried that by submitting a non-academic letter for Windsor, I'll end up also giving other schools a less strong LOR than I would otherwise. I just don't want applying to Windsor to lower my chance of getting into other schools. 

What do you all think? Has anyone else also had this concern? Do you think my fear is unfounded? Have any schools specifically said that they will read academic letters over non-academic letters, if both are supplied? 

Edited by 0Lawschool2020

Someone else asked this sorta question before so I'll tell you what I told them. It's pretty obvious when looking at your references who is a prof and who isn't. Your profs are likely "Dr X" and Dr Y", and even if they dont have their PhD, you still have to put their job title in the description so it'll be apparent that they work at your University.

The only thing that you should be unsure of is which academic reference Windsor will use of the two. They'll obviously use your boss from the bartending job and one of your profs. If they're both strong as you've mentioned then you really have nothing to worry about

I also do agree with that other comment that LOR won't improve or kill your chances. Likewise with EC lol, no one cares that you played intramural soccer once a week or joined a club in your second year haha. It's mostly based on grades, soft factors are only somewhat important for a borderline applicant, they'll never make or break you

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Syndicate03 said:

I also do agree with that other comment that LOR won't improve or kill your chances. Likewise with EC lol, no one cares that you played intramural soccer once a week or joined a club in your second year haha. It's mostly based on grades, soft factors are only somewhat important for a borderline applicant, they'll never make or break you

Just curious, how do you people know that the LOR is strong or weak?