student0033

Articling Offer after 1L Summer

Heyo!

I hope everyone is keeping well.

I’ve heard tell from some of my classmates that they were offered articling positions at the culmination of their 1L summer. I am wondering: is this common or rare?

Edited by student0033

1L summer law jobs are themselves very rare (at UBC approx 10% of the class lands them, I dunno about other schools) so you can imagine that articling offers at that stage are even rarer.

• Thanks 2

I think it’s actually common in the Calgary market (but I’m not from Alberta so someone else clarify). A few of my friends did a 1L summer at a large firm in Calgary, took the 2L summer off and then returned to their firms for articles. They were offered articles after their 1L summer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, healthlaw said:

I think it’s actually common in the Calgary market (but I’m not from Alberta so someone else clarify). A few of my friends did a 1L summer at a large firm in Calgary, took the 2L summer off and then returned to their firms for articles. They were offered articles after their 1L summer. 

Friends in Cowtown had the same experience.

Yes, it isn't uncommon out west in some markets but I've never heard of it happening with Ontario employers.

• Thanks 1

I can't speak for everyone, but my understanding is that in the Calgary market (especially among "big" firms) it is the norm to offer articling after a 1L summer. This is of course predicated on your performance over the course of the summer, but I haven't personally heard of any 1L summer students who were not offered articling. 

My own experience: worked last summer (1L summer) and was offered articling upon graduation with the additional option to work at the firm this (2L) summer if i want. 

Edited by LionelHutzz
  • Thanks 1

Out west it's more common. In Ontario I've never heard of a big firm offering its 1L students articles after the 1L summer.

That being said, once you've landed a 1L gig it is extremely rare for that student to not be offered a 2L position and not be offered articles after that. Basically the student really needs to screw things up for those offers to not be given by the firm. 

• Thanks 1

One of the reasons for the difference is that often out west the students do a summer after 1L, and then do not return to the firm for 2L summer (may be possible, or may get help landing an in house gig, but often they are on their own). This means the firms lock them up after 1L to return to articling, effectively moving the typical 2L process to 1L.

In Ontario, 1L hiring is less common but it seems that most 1L hirings return to the firm for 2L, and then get an articling offer (almost) automatically as part of that process. 

• Thanks 1