IvanSinclair

How do I know if law school and the legal field is right for me?

15 minutes ago, IvanSinclair said:

I did not expect to be condescendingly grilled by a few (including a moderator for gods sake)

LOL clearly you aren't very familiar with this forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If ls.ca had an annual BBQ, we’d almost have to call it a Condescending Grill, brought to you by Morgans. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, realpseudonym said:

If ls.ca had an annual BBQ, we’d almost have to call it a Condescending Grill, brought to you by Morgans. 

How many law students are actually like this? Medical school has "gunners" I'm sure that law does too. But on average do most people treat each other with respect or is there a constant competitive rat race to get ahead at all cost?

30 minutes ago, realpseudonym said:

Oh my God. Yes. 

13 minutes ago, IvanSinclair said:

How many law students are actually like this? Medical school has "gunners" I'm sure that law does too. But on average do most people treat each other with respect or is there a constant competitive rat race to get ahead at all cost?

Serious answer:

I've made better friends in law school than I had in any other context in my life before. And I went to law school as a mature student, having studied and worked in a wide variety of contexts.

But it does take a certain kind of person, as people by and large are type A and some ball-busting and one-upmanship comes with the territory. I found classmates were by and large eager to help one another out despite competing on a curve, but at the same time you can't get away with saying dumb things in this field while people politely let it slide without comment, like you can in some other circles. And lots of people like to very obnoxiously wave their accomplishments in each other's faces, which can suck if you are going through a rough patch and makes being at the bottom of the curve, having issues landing an articling position, etc, feel even worse.

Honestly this thread has been pretty mild IMO, so if it is distressing you that much I would actually be concerned about your ability to hold your own and tough it out in law.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, IvanSinclair said:

Law students are generally quite nice to each other, as well as to legal professionals. Although. some students' behaviour slips below acceptable standards when they stray from the legal bubble. There was a disappointing number of students at TRU who felt they were better than the students in the culinary or trades programs. 

41 minutes ago, IvanSinclair said:

I feel I've mostly been treated respectfully. Some people could be annoying in law school, particularly in first semester of 1L before everyone settled in. And then again around OCIs for a bit. But people were mostly collegial. 

Lawyers and judges can be blunt though. Maybe you wouldn't hear "snowflake" or "immature," but plenty of people in this profession don't mince words and the general expectation is you'll take criticism in stride. And to me, most of the criticism here has been constructive, if frank. 

Edited by realpseudonym

3 hours ago, BringBackCrunchBerries said:

You just sound a lot like past me, except I was nicer on the internet. It seems like you have never been decisive about medical school either. If you have a 3.76 GPA and a 164 LSAT then law school is a bird in the hand... I'm not sure how many birds in the bush that is worth these days but maybe bird math was part of your degree. 

This reminds me of myself too. I was good in science, had a similar GPA to that, but I made a call in 4th year and went with law. I think medicine is really hard to get into, simply because your GPA almost needs to be perfect. Law is much more forgiving, and it's definitely easier to get in than med school. However, I would say do what interests you. Personally, I was done with my science courses and couldn't stand taking more sciences. I'm not sure if I would have enjoyed being a doctor (I am still kind of thinking about this), but I know for a fact I would have not enjoyed med school. So, I made a call, and despite only being in first year, I don't regret it one bit. I have yet to see how I will do, but at least I can say I enjoy what I am learning. 

I too was good in science - until about the 9th grade in fact! It was then I decided medicine just wasn’t my calling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I was dead-set on becoming a psychiatrist until I received my 12th grade biology grade, after which the desire mysteriously disappeared.

• Haha 2

There are also allied health professional degrees, such as dietetics, nursing, speech language pathology, occupational/physical therapy, physician assistant! You might already have the prereqs and the degrees are only 2 years.

Or do a 1 year comp sci grad degree. 

There is more to life than "doctor or lawyer". Either way, that's 5 more years until your career actually starts. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, artsydork said:

physician assistant!

From what I understand, it is harder to get into PA school than med school, at least in Canada. Since, the ratio of seats available to applicants is far less favorable for PA than med. 

On a related note, to add onto your list: optometry, chiropractic school and dental school are also worth considering. 

Edited by robobrain

1 minute ago, robobrain said:

From what I understand, it is harder to get into PA school than med school, at least in Canada. Since, the ratio of seats available to applicants is far less favorable for PA than med. 

On a related note, to add onto your list: optometry, chiropractic school and dental school are worth considering. 

Also, radiology technologist: https://www.dal.ca/faculty/health/health-sciences/programs/undergraduate-programs/radiological-technology.html

Honestly I had no idea the options that were available to me when I left undergrad. I don't regret law, but I can't help but wonder if I should/could have done something that pays a bit less but requires less of my time and energy on a daily basis. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, robobrain said:

On a related note, to add onto your list: optometry, chiropractic school and dental school are also worth considering. 

PA is very competitive, though not sure I would say more competitive than med school itself. Also, I wouldn't add chiropractic practice to any discussion of health professional...

• Haha 2

OP, you're going to have to make the decision yourself and work at it to find out. Take it from someone who wanted to pursue law and took YEARS off because I wanted to be very sure that I wasn't going to waste money. In those years off I (a) talked to people, shadowed lawyers and law students; and (b) worked to save up for law school.

I know the decision isn't easy, but strangers on the internet can't make that decision for you. I'm going to dig into my empathy here and acknowledge that you're probably just really confused and scared of the next step, so if I have any advice it's this: take your time and really sit with and explore your feelings. You really don't have to rush. If you want to rush, accepted that you're going to feel, well, rushed, and perhaps uncomfortable and even a little uncertain.

Asking advice on here is a good step, but expect that you might not like the answer. After this/alongside this, I hope you take some time to explore other options and find what makes you happy.

**I'm a mature student if that makes a difference!

Edited by greenyellownoses
clarification
  • Thanks 1