EricD

Chances? (GPA:85.89 WES GPA: 3.90; LSAT-FLEX: 157)

Hello everyone

I'm a new PR in Canada who finished all undergraduate overseas. Have taken my first LSAT last month and waiting for Oct score.¬†Will definitely rewriteūüėɬ†and aim for better LSAT, but just curious about what's the chance with current stats?

Other info:

• work exp - 5 yrs as investment analyst / IELTS 8.5
  • also applying for Osgoode¬†/ Ottawa / Queens / Western
  • UBC allegedly convert¬†a WES-A into 86 and WES-B¬†into 73 instead of recalculating¬†my original score on transcript, 85.89 is the result of this alleged calculation; if I use original transcript it will be 90+

Gpa is good but, as you seem to have implicitly stated, lsat will probably have to be a bit higher to secure admission. Something in the low to mid 160’s would leave me pretty confident in your shoes. I had a slightly lower gpa and a 166 and got in right away last year. Best of luck on your rewrite and application!

Unfortunately with your current stats it looks like your chances are low for the general category. Aim for a 163/164 though and you should be in! 

Hi Eric,

I'm an international applicant in the process of PR application with a similar background as you do for the rest.

Also with 5 yrs of work experience and a similar GPA (I blame WES too for bringing it so low) , took my first LSAT on October, and got a 162. Might rewrite in January, as with this I guess the chances are quite slim.

Good luck on the Nov/Jan test!

On 10/20/2020 at 12:42 AM, EricD said:

Hello everyone

I'm a new PR in Canada who finished all undergraduate overseas. Have taken my first LSAT last month and waiting for Oct score.¬†Will definitely rewriteūüėɬ†and aim for better LSAT, but just curious about what's the chance with current stats?

Other info:

• work exp - 5 yrs as investment analyst / IELTS 8.5
  • also applying for Osgoode¬†/ Ottawa / Queens / Western
  • UBC allegedly convert¬†a WES-A into 86 and WES-B¬†into 73 instead of recalculating¬†my original score on transcript, 85.89 is the result of this alleged calculation; if I use original transcript it will be 90+

Your stats 157 and 3.90 are competitive (100%)  for Ottawa, Queens and Western. 

157 is a bit low for OZ., (75% chance?)

Are you applying under 'mature category"?

https://law.uwo.ca/future_students/jd_admissions/first_year_applications/applicant_categories.html

Mature candidates must have at least five years of non-university experience since leaving high school, which need not be consecutive, and must have attended university for a minimum of two years.

Mature applicants are asked to provide a resumé as a supplementary document when filing their application, as we will give greater weight to the work and life experience of mature candidates in our holistic assessment.

We do not set a specific minimum or competitive threshold for Mature applicants, as the applicant pool may vary year to year, and mature applicants may have various skills and life experiences to offer.  Moreover, we have noted over time that the strongest mature applicants tend to have academic records and LSAT scores that approach the competitive level of general category applicants.

On 10/23/2020 at 7:13 AM, Luckycharm said:

Your stats 157 and 3.90 are competitive (100%)  for Ottawa, Queens and Western. 

157 is a bit low for OZ., (75% chance?)

Are you applying under 'mature category"?

https://law.uwo.ca/future_students/jd_admissions/first_year_applications/applicant_categories.html

Mature candidates must have at least five years of non-university experience since leaving high school, which need not be consecutive, and must have attended university for a minimum of two years.

Mature applicants are asked to provide a resumé as a supplementary document when filing their application, as we will give greater weight to the work and life experience of mature candidates in our holistic assessment.

We do not set a specific minimum or competitive threshold for Mature applicants, as the applicant pool may vary year to year, and mature applicants may have various skills and life experiences to offer.  Moreover, we have noted over time that the strongest mature applicants tend to have academic records and LSAT scores that approach the competitive level of general category applicants.

Thanks for your replies! 

@Firecracker With 164 my "index" will surpass 92. I will aim for that! My main problem is not able to finish all questions, esp games part. Guess I need to polish my skills.

@EspM What stream are you applying? FSW? PNP?

And yes, I am applying for Mature category where that option is available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricD said:

@Firecracker With 164 my "index" will surpass 92. I will aim for that! My main problem is not able to finish all questions, esp games part. Guess I need to polish my skills.

Games were my worst section too! They're brutal. Not sure of your current study strategy but here's some unsolicited advice from someone who has been there lol: 

It helps if you drill each game over and over - old games you've already done, and new ones, until you can immediately recognize the game board you need (and any twists).

If you aren't finishing, maybe (counterintuitively) you need to try slowing down first. Do a bunch of games untimed so that you make all the inferences and get every question right. Then start doing them timed, slowly decreasing the amount of time you have the more that you practice. This helped me program my brain into game mode *cue dramatic music*

You may or may not already be doing this - either way, I'll be cheering for you :D