Hegdis

Queen's Law Building To Get A New Name!

Not yet decided, but a step in the right direction for sure.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/sir-john-a-macdonald-law-school-queens-university-1.5768385

Queen's University says it is renaming its law school, Sir John A. Macdonald Hall, after significant consideration and months of public consultation.

The Kingston, Ont., university's move follows mounting calls across the country to remove monuments commemorating its first prime minister, who is also recognized as the architect of the residential school system. 

[...]

While Macdonald is "rightly celebrated" for his role in founding modern Canada, his full historic legacy cannot be ignored, said law school dean Mark Walters in a news release, .

"We now have a richer and better understanding of the hurtful views and policies he and his government advanced in relation to Indigenous peoples and racial minorities," said Walters who, with university principal and vice-chancellor Patrick Deane, recommended the change to the board of trustees, which was approved on Monday.

Edited by Hegdis
clarified title
  • Like 1

Language in the article is so confusing. So I understand the law school building is/was Sir John A. MacDonald Hall, but has the law school itself ever actually been referred to as that? 

• Like 1

It's the name of the law school building, not the law school itself. Queen's does not have a named law school like UBC does with Allard, for instance.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MountainMon said:

Language in the article is so confusing. So I understand the law school building is/was Sir John A. MacDonald Hall, but has the law school itself ever actually been referred to as that? 

I also don't recall referring to the building as McDonald Hall when I was there.  I would just refer to it as the "law building" (and I don't think I would have been unique amongst the students there). 

I have seen at least one call for it to be renamed for Bernie Adell which I think makes a ton of sense. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Adrian said:

I also don't recall referring to the building as McDonald Hall when I was there.  I would just refer to it as the "law building" (and I don't think I would have been unique amongst the students there). 

I have seen at least one call for it to be renamed for Bernie Adell which I think makes a ton of sense. 

The other suggestion would be Robert Sutherland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Sutherland

Regardless, it's really about time. 

Edited by whoknows

If they're looking for a former PM to name the building after then why not just go with Diefenbaker. He's pretty bland to basically every demographic apart from Avro Arrow fans.

Edited by harveyspecter993
  • Like 1