legallybrunette3

Chance me please! CGPA 2.9 (oops), L2 3.65, LSAT 160

Dal was definitely

9 hours ago, sucksatusernames said:

I would also add that Dal will also count your Masters courses as part of your L2! I have a weak undergrad GPA but I'm doing an MA in a subject i love way more so it's now my first choice!  

Dal's program is honestly the most attractive to me, the only thing is that I'd really prefer to stay west and that's about as east as you can get! 😂.. I'll have to seriously consider it thought.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, legallybrunette3 said:

the only thing is that I'd really prefer to stay west and that's about as east as you can get! 😂

If you'd prefer to stay out  west, Calgary and Alberta are both L20 and Victoria would drop your worst 10 half courses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, legallybrunette3 said:

Dal was definitely

Dal's program is honestly the most attractive to me, the only thing is that I'd really prefer to stay west and that's about as east as you can get! 😂.. I'll have to seriously consider it thought.

if it makes a difference, the east coast is doing the best job at managing covid so if i were to pick a place to live for the foreseeable future based off today's info (academics aside) Halifax would rank high for me. 

Annecdote: my friend from high school moved to PEI in the middle of the pandemic and she insists people are just going about their day to day lives. at the time she told me this they had maybe 5 cases on the whole island. 

20 minutes ago, Musashi said:

If you'd prefer to stay out  west, Calgary and Alberta are both L20 and Victoria would drop your worst 10 half courses.

10 half courses? do u have a source/url? that would be a huge advantage but, i thought it was only 4 half courses? 

1 hour ago, Musashi said:

Calgary and Uvic are my top choices!

14 hours ago, legallybrunette3 said:

, but the tuition is also way higher than i'd like to pay, and I have no interest in working in Ontario. So although I might make the medians, if I truly end up realizing my chances are that low I will definitely pass on !

2 things:

1. I totally agree with everyone else that you should take our opinions with a grain of salt, but I also think that if you want the best chance we give you a helpful opinion, we need accurate stats. Google OLSAS GPA calculator (there’s one on this site) and get the stats OLSAS will actually look at so we can help more 

2. All across this forum you will hear people say - go to school where you want to work. It’s certainly not impossible to study in Ontario and work in another province, but factor in the cost of traveling to attend recruits, more time consuming/ costly / difficult time networking within the community you want to work, etc. As far as tuition goes, Queens is very on par with other Ontario schools. Western, Ottawa, Windsor (not dual) are almost the same, Lakehead is only marginally cheaper, and Osgoode and U of T are much more costly. So you really won’t get cheaper tuition in Ontario.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sucksatusernames said:

10 half courses? do u have a source/url? that would be a huge advantage but, i thought it was only 4 half courses? 

I believe their website states that they drop your lowest courses according to a sliding scale based on how many credits you have completed. In an e-mail with one of their admissions officers I was told that if you have completed 140+ credits, as I assume you have if you completed 2 undergrad degrees, then they drop your lowest 30 credits. Also, somewhere on the UVic forum someone has posted the actual sliding scale.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, legallybrunette3 said:

Calgary and Uvic are my top choices!

Out of curiosity, may I ask why not U Alberta? I'm from Toronto and I don't know a whole lot about schools out west.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, may I ask why not U Alberta? I'm from Toronto and I don't know a whole lot about schools out west.

I'm not a fan of Edmonton haha. It's on my list though! 

• Like 1

A few reasons, I think they weigh LSAT more so I'm not sure if I would get in there. Were you thinking of going to Alberta?

3 hours ago, legallybrunette3 said:

A few reasons, I think they weigh LSAT more so I'm not sure if I would get in there. Were you thinking of going to Alberta?

I'll be applying to both Calgary and Alberta and would be happy to attend either. L20 schools are definitely favourable to my GPA trend. I was just curious what separates them. I've heard lots of good things about the city of Calgary. I just haven't heard a lot about either school.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 7:06 PM, Toby1994 said:

They will only count years where you took a full/nearly full course load in both the fall and winter semesters, so 4 or 5 courses per semester. When calculating your B2 years, make sure you were taking at least 4 courses per semester. 

This is technically incorrect. You need 8 courses in a year for it to be considered in the B2 - i.e. you could take 3 in fall and 5 in winter and still have that year be considered for the B2.

On 10/20/2020 at 5:43 AM, legallybrunette3 said:

Dal was definitely

FWIW the lawyers I know and have spoken to consider Dal to be "a very good school" (their words) and I live out west. 

• Like 1