Sign in to follow this  
PeterQuill

Considering Law school, quick Q on calculating GPA

Good afternoon!

I'm somewhat considering law school but considering how intense and rigorous it is I obviously don't want to commit unless I'm 100% sure it's for me. Would be interested in Immigration law or labour law if I follow through but anyway. 

I'm reading around and getting conflicting information on whether or not some courses I took at my first attempt for an undergrad would count towards the GPA calculation. I'm 25 now and in my third year of a BComm at Ryerson. Back when I was 18 I tried my luck at Dal and wasn't a very good student, but I managed to transfer over some electives and Macro/Micro Econ to my degree at Ryerson so I assume those would count in the calculation. Would the other courses I took at Dal count towards my GPA calculation as well? I don't think I ever got an A at Dal (Would need to look for a transcript lol) but I've gotten many A+/A/A- at Ryerson. 

All the best everyone :)

11 minutes ago, PeterQuill said:

Good afternoon!

I'm somewhat considering law school but considering how intense and rigorous it is I obviously don't want to commit unless I'm 100% sure it's for me. Would be interested in Immigration law or labour law if I follow through but anyway. 

I'm reading around and getting conflicting information on whether or not some courses I took at my first attempt for an undergrad would count towards the GPA calculation. I'm 25 now and in my third year of a BComm at Ryerson. Back when I was 18 I tried my luck at Dal and wasn't a very good student, but I managed to transfer over some electives and Macro/Micro Econ to my degree at Ryerson so I assume those would count in the calculation. Would the other courses I took at Dal count towards my GPA calculation as well? I don't think I ever got an A at Dal (Would need to look for a transcript lol) but I've gotten many A+/A/A- at Ryerson. 

All the best everyone :)

All courses you took in undergrad will be counted towards your GPA. However, some schools look at your best 2 years, best 3 years and last 2 years in Ontario.

Which schools are you planning to apply?

30 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

All courses you took in undergrad will be counted towards your GPA. However, some schools look at your best 2 years, best 3 years and last 2 years in Ontario.

Which schools are you planning to apply?

I'm doing very prelim research right now so nothing is set in stone. I'm a bit of a free spirit and have no major assets/not in a relationship/etc. holding me back so I could cast a pretty wide net if this is what I decide to do. I'm thinking of returning to BC to be closer to family so UBC/UVic/TRU are options (Especially TRU as I have family that live in the interior). 

Quite a few withdraws on the Dal record and my Ryerson record isn't like groundbreaking despite considerably higher grades so I may not even have the grades in the end haha. Just sussing through options. 

E: As a general application strategy if I had to pick: Schools in BC, Alberta & Ontario. I think going for schools that look at your best two years would likely be my best chance on getting in if I do end up applying.

Edited by PeterQuill

@PeterQuill I transferred universities and for both places I've had to send transcripts, regardless of whether the ones from my old school are being used for my GPA. 

All BC schools use cGPA except for TRU, which uses your last two years. Alberta schools are also L2. It varies with Ontario law schools but many use your cGPA. 

I even had to send a transcript from Athabasca, where I registered for only a single course, then withdrew before anything was evaluated. Luckily Athabasca transcripts are free. ;) 

So yes, you'll be disclosing everything. The key, as mentiond by other posters, is determing for which schools this will or won't be a problem!

I won't mention schools I haven't applied to, because I wouldn't want to steer you wrong, but of the ones where I did apply, the following are the ones which use formulae that could mitigate your Dal marks:

Schools which calculate GPA based on your last 2 years (L2):

• U of A
  • U of C
  • Western

Schools which calculate GPA based on your best 2 years (B2):

• Queen's
  • U of S (Saskatchewan, not Sherbrooke)

Schools which use your entire record,  but allow you to drop a certain number of your worst marks:

• U of M (Manitoba, not Montréal)
  • U Vic

There are probably more in each category, so just take these ones as a starting point!

This thread is just a starting point for you, but the message is: your Dal experience will have different effects for different schools. Should be lots of options for you, although you'll have to come back to us with an LSAT score eventually!

-GM

4 hours ago, GrumpyMountie said:

I even had to send a transcript from Athabasca, where I registered for only a single course, then withdrew before anything was evaluated. Luckily Athabasca transcripts are free. ;) 

Were you in a position similar to mine? I'm doing my undergrad at the U of C and due to COVID one of the prereqs I needed for a course I wanted to take was cancelled. I tried to take the equivalent course through Athabasca, but dropped it the same day when I realized it wouldn't be complete in time for the fall semester when I needed it by. As a result I'm not sure if there'd be any transcript to send, seeing as I dropped the course long before the deadline (i.e. it's not a W). Would I still need to send something in my position?

1 minute ago, Chazz said:

Would I still need to send something in my position?

Thanks for the question. I didn't realize there was a period in which a withdrawal would not result in a "W". Since a "W" is without penalty, I didn't realize there would be any notation below that. Your question sent me to the AU web page, so now I've learned that you have 30 days before it becomes a "W". So in your case, the course won't appear on your transcript.

This leaves the question of whether you would actually have a transcript at all, given that there would be nothing on it. I'm thinking not, but it's probably worth double-checking with AU if I've made you nervous now. ;)

-GM

4 minutes ago, GrumpyMountie said:

Thanks for the question. I didn't realize there was a period in which a withdrawal would not result in a "W". Since a "W" is without penalty, I didn't realize there would be any notation below that. Your question sent me to the AU web page, so now I've learned that you have 30 days before it becomes a "W". So in your case, the course won't appear on your transcript.

This leaves the question of whether you would actually have a transcript at all, given that there would be nothing on it. I'm thinking not, but it's probably worth double-checking with AU if I've made you nervous now. ;)

-GM

I'm not sure how other universities do it, but the way it works at U of C is that if you drop it before the drop deadline it doesn't appear on your transcript and if you drop it after it's a W. I was under the impression that the latter was generally looked on negatively.

But yeah, I'll definitely check. On myAU there's nothing under grades and nothing under courses so I think it's nothing, but I'll contact the schools I'm looking to apply to just in case.

@PeterQuill Sorry for hijacking your thread.