lolnope

Is anyone else overwhelmed with the small group schedule?

I don't understand why the condensed the small groups into one semester. My understanding from upper-years was that small group was better spread out, which allowed for a better understanding of the material, and gave more time for projects.

I can do the readings just fine, but the final project that's not even being "released" until December is already worrying me. A major research project, along with a smaller project another course, while studying for exams in 3 weeks sounds absolutely insane. I'm reading ahead to finish all the 1L readings by the start of November just so I don't have to worry as much with the exams.

• Like 1

Oh man I’m sorry to hear that. Condensing small group to one semester was a huge screw up on the part of the faculty and was widely opposed by the student body. I hope they reverse these changes after this year.

The week before the school shut down and classes went 100% online due to the pandemic, a whole bunch of current 2Ls/3Ls and the newest batch of graduates showed up to the student town hall where we were able to voice our opinions regarding the new proposed curriculum. Most of us were confused and concerned by the semestered small group structure. If you need help, definitely reach out to book a tutoring appointment with the ASP, reach out to an upper year mentor or other upper year students who have taken small group with the same professor you have, I think most everyone would sympathize with the stress added by the new small group structure and try to help. You'll get through this!

not only is it condensed to one semester, but the small group class size has doubled from ~15 to ~30. it doesn’t even feel like a small group, it just feels like a normal class with a term paper instead of a final exam. 

Edited by mistertubby
typo

18 hours ago, lolnope said:

I don't understand why the condensed the small groups into one semester. My understanding from upper-years was that small group was better spread out, which allowed for a better understanding of the material, and gave more time for projects.

I can do the readings just fine, but the final project that's not even being "released" until December is already worrying me. A major research project, along with a smaller project another course, while studying for exams in 3 weeks sounds absolutely insane. I'm reading ahead to finish all the 1L readings by the start of November just so I don't have to worry as much with the exams.

I'm just stressed that you're reading ahead to finish all the readings before the start of November. Literally HOW, there are still over 600-700 pages of dense readings before classes end in December 😭

Edited by albertabean
  • Like 1

Just wanted to say that I highly recommend that you all email the admin with your issues with the condensed small group after the semester is over. The fact that students are bothered by this new model and have expressed this directly will provide a good foundation for an argument that we should not continue this curriculum change into future years. Last year, the faculty contended that this change would actually improve small group. 

• Like 2