Yasmin

Word limit on OLSAS application?

When it says "max 2500" or "max 5000", do they expect you to hit that exact number? might be a stupid question, but i came across someone on this forum say something about "typing till i hit the 2500 mark"

My understanding is that those are the maximum character counts it will let you type in, but you don’t have to hit the exact number by any means. I’m of the opinion that in these cases, sometimes less is more (especially if you’re just trying to max out the character count with extraneous or unnecessary information). I’m sure there are successful personal statements that are the full 5000 or 2000 characters, and some that are shorter. Other people may have different opinions but I would err on the side of quality > quantity. 

• Like 1

I generally agree with what @legallybl0nde said with regard to quality, or in other words, the substance, of a personal statement being more important than it being tailored to match some ideal form. However, it is also important to keep in mind that there is a meaningful relationship between the limitations a law school places on the length of an answer to a personal statement question, and the question itself. By this I mean the personal statement portions of your applications to each school serves the purpose of assessing how effectively and efficiently you can use a limited amount of characters to produce a pursuasive and expository answer to the question asked. And so while quality is generally more important than quantity, if you have sufficient space left to provide non redundant, new supporting information to your answer, and it is in your ability to insert that information in a natural way which flows with the rest of your statement, it would be in your best interest to do so. 

Edited by LabouriousCorvid
  • Like 1

I will suggest typing slightly more than the character limit to start (perhaps in MS Word). At this point, edit your statement for clarity and content. Now eliminate anything weak or redundant.

If you are at 80-100% (ex. 2000 to 2500 out of 2500), you are on target. Otherwise, remove a few sentences that don't seem necessary.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now