jungkook

Is it normal to hate law school

51 minutes ago, Hegdis said:

So my best advice is to take a very close look at whether a career in law is something that ticks enough boxes for you to put you through this short term pain. The practise of law can be engaging, challenging, terrifying and exhilarating. It puts your analytical and communication skills to the ultimate test. It gives you tremendous power and credibility with society in general. 

This spreads to everything else this year too. I love my job, but don't really like it when I'm at home in my office all day. My motivation and engagement is definitely suffering and I definitely have days where I just do the minimum to get by, which is not usually me (for example, I always post a lot as I use this site for nice little breaks throughout the day, but I definitely take a lot more of them now than last year).

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Malicious Prosecutor said:

looked at it as 3 more years of not being a complete grown-up yet.

definitely the best part of law school. Or if you're older, 3 years of reliving your youth. I hate covid so so much.

• Like 1

I'll just say, as a 3L, school by Zoom and/or pre-recordings is pretty sweet. I did the socializing thing in the first two years of law school and I'm fortunate enough to have a core group of friends. The current arrangement means I'm saving a LOT of time not commuting, I get more done, and I can hold down two part time jobs.

Edited by Psychometronic

1L is soul crushing. It gets better. 

Edited by AJD19

2 minutes ago, AJD19 said:

1L is soul crushing. It gets better. 

I never found it soul crushing. But I would have found it very difficult to get through without being able to access all of my normal social supports, exercise, activities, etc. This year is hard.

• Like 5

I loved every minute of law school but would absolutely hate it this year. I went back when I was older, so law school was a fun vacation from being a grown-up for me. I feel very sorry for students who are missing the social experience this year.

• Like 3

On 10/17/2020 at 3:01 PM, jungkook said:

I was never really interested in the law qua the law, but I always liked things like analytic philosophy and politics, and the LSAT was the kind of logical thinking that I enjoy. So I figured that once I got into law school I'd find the course material at least somewhat interesting, but I just... don't. 

I would be a little bit concerned if you legitimately don't find a single course (or subject within a course) interesting at all. In 1L you're learning the foundational legal topics that are the basis of any type of law you do in the future (think contracts = insurance law; torts = personal injury law; property = IP; etc.). So if you don't even finding one of your courses "somewhat" interesting, I get the feeling you're not in the right place. 

44 minutes ago, gg092 said:

I would be a little bit concerned if you legitimately don't find a single course (or subject within a course) interesting at all. In 1L you're learning the foundational legal topics that are the basis of any type of law you do in the future (think contracts = insurance law; torts = personal injury law; property = IP; etc.). So if you don't even finding one of your courses "somewhat" interesting, I get the feeling you're not in the right place. 

I think this is a good point. I did not like law school much but I did find two 1L courses at least interesting (Property and Crim). 

39 minutes ago, JusticeLordDenning said:

there's people who enjoy 1L property? we're learning statute of uses right now and it's horrible. 

I really hated real property, but loved personal property. They're really different (no rule against perpetuities or William the Conqueror or feoffments in personal property), so hang in there - you might enjoy it more. I also think it has a lot to do with your prof (I had different professors for real & personal, and I vastly preferred the personal property prof).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JusticeLordDenning said:

there's people who enjoy 1L property? we're learning statute of uses right now and it's horrible. 

I kind of remember that. Something about the history of trusts? If it makes you feel any better, I practiced commercial real property in a big firm for several years and never even thought about that concept.

I liked property law as a class, but I totally get where you are coming from.

1 hour ago, JusticeLordDenning said:

We had a great prof., a legal historian more than anything. Philip Girard.

I do know that many of my peers did not like Property Law though. 

55 minutes ago, lewcifer said:

I really hated real property, but loved personal property. They're really different (no rule against perpetuities or William the Conqueror or feoffments in personal property), so hang in there - you might enjoy it more. I also think it has a lot to do with your prof (I had different professors for real & personal, and I vastly preferred the personal property prof).

Yeah, that's also the case with me, I've heard much better things about my winter prof. It's just really weird that property is the only class I'm getting tested the traditional undergrad way (multiple choice exam, closed book). So I'm unsure of how to approach the course, but I'm thinking of using my undergrad approach 

46 minutes ago, conge said:

I kind of remember that. Something about the history of trusts? If it makes you feel any better, I practiced commercial real property in a big firm for several years and never even thought about that concept.

Remember blackacre? O--> A and his heirs? that stuff, haha. it's the only course I'm having trouble with, but glad to hear I hopefully won't have to deal with this again once the course is finished. 

It's difficult to believe that most people would enjoy law school remotely watching lectures over online video.

Law school in 1st year is like learning a new language. You do not know how to properly read a case and many courses consist of reviewing old 19th century cases that are dense, boring, complex and difficult to understand. 

So yes, I couldn't imagine enjoying 1st year law school without the physical interaction with students/professors/mentors/TA's etc. Also, having a social life and going out with other law students is a critical part of the law school experience. 

Edited by Lawstudent3210
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Lawstudent3210 said:

It's difficult to believe that most people would enjoy law school remotely watching lectures over online video.

Law school in 1st year is like learning a new language. You do not know how to properly read a case and many courses consist of reviewing old 19th century cases that are dense, boring, complex and difficult to understand. 

So yes, I couldn't imagine enjoying 1st year law school without the physical interaction with students/professors/mentors/TA's etc. Also, having a social life and going out with other law students is a critical part of the law school experience. 

I think the hype of the social aspect of law school is a bit overstated. Why is everyone so obsessed with it? Did everyone lose all their non-law friends + family once they entered the first lecture of law school?

30 minutes ago, zxcvbnm said:

Did everyone lose all their non-law friends

some of us never had friends 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, zxcvbnm said:

I think the hype of the social aspect of law school is a bit overstated. Why is everyone so obsessed with it? Did everyone lose all their non-law friends + family once they entered the first lecture of law school?

First, it depends where you go to law school. I left my home town and moved to a new city where I didn't know anyone. I was 4 hours away from my family and all my friends that I grew up with or went to undergrad with. Developing that social circle in my opinion was key to enjoying my school experience. It was way more fun to go to lectures with friends I developed close bonds with and joke around. Also it's great having a group of friends you can hang out with after class and go out on the weekends etc.

However, obviously if you attend a law school that is close to where you grew up and have the time to still see your older friends and family on a regular basis, I agree that developing a social circle in law school isn't as important. 

Second, I think people tend to gravitate and enjoy the company of people with similar interests/experiences. It makes sense that law students will gravitate closer to other law students. 

Third, building close relationships in law school is important for possible future connections. You never know if you want to switch firms or even start your own firm. Knowing people in the industry that you have a close connection with can be very beneficial in the long-term. An old friend may be that connection that gets you an advantage in an interview.

So to conclude, it obviously depends on the person. Some people are more introverted or don't like to mingle with other law students and that's fine. But personally, and I can attest to majority of my law school friends, it was having those friendships that actually made law school a lot of fun looking back. Every month or so I meet with a few buddies from law school and it's great catching up, talking the funny times at school, and what their experience working is like. 

Edited by Lawstudent3210

On 10/19/2020 at 4:59 AM, talos said:

If you don’t mind my asking, what type of law do you practice now? 

Crim. I'm a Crown.

Criminal law courses were the one bright spot of law school for me, for sure.

10 hours ago, DavisFromCornerGas said:

Crim. I'm a Crown.

Criminal law courses were the one bright spot of law school for me, for sure.

Loved criminal law as a area of academic study. Absolutely terrified of it in practice. I now advise corporations on commercial transactions. 

• Like 3

On 10/23/2020 at 2:50 PM, Lawstudent3210 said:

First, it depends where you go to law school. I left my home town and moved to a new city where I didn't know anyone. I was 4 hours away from my family and all my friends that I grew up with or went to undergrad with. Developing that social circle in my opinion was key to enjoying my school experience. It was way more fun to go to lectures with friends I developed close bonds with and joke around. Also it's great having a group of friends you can hang out with after class and go out on the weekends etc.

However, obviously if you attend a law school that is close to where you grew up and have the time to still see your older friends and family on a regular basis, I agree that developing a social circle in law school isn't as important. 

Second, I think people tend to gravitate and enjoy the company of people with similar interests/experiences. It makes sense that law students will gravitate closer to other law students. 

Third, building close relationships in law school is important for possible future connections. You never know if you want to switch firms or even start your own firm. Knowing people in the industry that you have a close connection with can be very beneficial in the long-term. An old friend may be that connection that gets you an advantage in an interview.

So to conclude, it obviously depends on the person. Some people are more introverted or don't like to mingle with other law students and that's fine. But personally, and I can attest to majority of my law school friends, it was having those friendships that actually made law school a lot of fun looking back. Every month or so I meet with a few buddies from law school and it's great catching up, talking the funny times at school, and what their experience working is like. 

Fair, fair! Another question: why is everyone so obsessed with drinking in law school. every other second it's awwww man i wish we were in person, we could've got shitfaced/hammered/whatever other thing, together!

• Like 1