many2021

Law school application and privacy concern

sorry this may sound a bit silly but I have this concern and need some input

regarding the information you provide for law school application.

My conflict is I know law school wants to know more (almost everything) about you but since "info" are put in their database. My doubt is it will pass through a lot of people before getting to the admission committee. I assume the admission committee will keep it confidential but there is always bad guy out there. 

So I am a bit conservative in laying out all the things in detail on the application......and it is quite hard to pick and choose what to include, what is not and to what extend. They are pretty much tide together to make today's "ME".

e.g. in the sketch..can i put N/A in the verifier? Resume list your work experience.....and personal statement list your background.......pretty much the whole package....my whole life is there.....

Anyone has the same doubt or is it matter to you? or have anyone suspect info was stolen through this application process?

Also when you have someone proof read for you, how do you delicate the stuff to them to proof read? do you know them well personally or the stuff is being divided so they don't know the whole thing about you?

feel to to PM me if you do not want to post on the forum.

thanks a lot. ūüėĄ

I think you'd be surprised by how many law school applicants look almost exactly the same on paper: an undergrad in something, maybe a summer internship, a few years with a club, a part-time job and stats similar to hundreds of other applicants. Your data may be indistinguishable from others. Also, the school's, to my knowledge, do not harvest any data from your app, and if they do, they certainly do not make it publicly available. They do have a class profiles with statistics about age, gender, income, etc., but this information comes from a survey of the newly admitted class, not the general applicants.

The only statistics I've ever seen from schools related to applications is the number of them they received, i.e. "we had 2300 applications for 200 spots."

Your application is read by the admissions committee which is usually comprised of some faculty, administration, and some third year law students. Typically only 3Ls sit on these committees because the schools recognize that you may not want to attend school with people who have read all the details of your application. 3Ls have graduated by the time you arrive at the school, so they are unlikely to meet you. 

Your information is submitted through a secure portal, and to the best of my knowledge is treated with the utmost discretion. I understand your privacy concern, and I didn't particularly like giving them so much information about my private life, especially as it related to medical information for an access application. However, if you don't include information that gives the school an idea of who you are and what you've been doing with your life you may be putting yourself at a disadvantage. 

Edited by albertabean
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, many2021 said:

sorry this may sound a bit silly but I have this concern and need some input

regarding the information you provide for law school application.

My conflict is I know law school wants to know more (almost everything) about you but since "info" are put in their database. My doubt is it will pass through a lot of people before getting to the admission committee. I assume the admission committee will keep it confidential but there is always bad guy out there. 

So I am a bit conservative in laying out all the things in detail on the application......and it is quite hard to pick and choose what to include, what is not and to what extend. They are pretty much tide together to make today's "ME".

e.g. in the sketch..can i put N/A in the verifier? Resume list your work experience.....and personal statement list your background.......pretty much the whole package....my whole life is there.....

Anyone has the same doubt or is it matter to you? or have anyone suspect info was stolen through this application process?

Also when you have someone proof read for you, how do you delicate the stuff to them to proof read? do you know them well personally or the stuff is being divided so they don't know the whole thing about you?

feel to to PM me if you do not want to post on the forum.

thanks a lot. ūüėĄ

You have a choice...

As an applicant, I'm personally not that concerned about privacy and violation of confidentiality. Sure, people may look at your information and could identify who you are but what could a "bad guy" possibly do? It's not the case that your SIN or banking information is uploaded on a database. It's the information that is listed on your resume and that is something very difficult to keep private. 

We repeatedly give employers the right to do background checks on us and have all our personal info disclosed to them. Schools aren't that different in terms of reviewing your file. 

9 minutes ago, Dreamchaser said:

As an applicant, I'm personally not that concerned about privacy and violation of confidentiality. Sure, people may look at your information and could identify who you are but what could a "bad guy" possibly do? It's not the case that your SIN or banking information is uploaded on a database. It's the information that is listed on your resume and that is something very difficult to keep private. 

I think the bulk of the sensitive information is in the personal statements and any medical documentation for access applicants; The applicant may be disclosing trauma, disabilities, their sexual orientation, etc., which is not necessarily information that I would want made publicly available. 

I reiterate that in my limited experience, admissions committees (to my knowledge) are very discreet with this information. 

Edited by albertabean

I think you're overestimating how much admissions committees care about you as an individual applicant. They receive thousands of applications every year, so personal information is one of the few ways that they can distinguish you, a person they want at their school, from applicant #120204737.

• Like 1

Wait until you see the information the Law Society will want from you after you graduate! 

Schools in general, not just law schools, have a ton of information on all of their students. From what I've seen, they take privacy laws quite seriously. Down to policies requiring use of software that has servers in Canada (ie, Zoom allows you to keep all call data within their Canadian data centers).

• Like 1

Thanks albertabean for clarifying. I agree with you admissions committees are very discreet. And like what tagger said it is applicant #xxx. I am wondering if application will go directly to them or it will pass through other staff...(but I guess I can't think too much) plus what if the OLSAS system being hacked? etc...

and I think Canuckfanatic answered my question. Thank you . (Just a side note even zoom was being hacked too. People can jump to the meeting in zoom without permission. But I guess now they improved.)

I create this post to see if anyone has similar concern when they are doing the application or leave the verifier "N/A"

Seriously, if you have a perfect life and still in university of course you don't have much to worry about. You probably just have your previous volunteer supervisor or a professor to write you reference etc.

Please do not send me a message like if you do not feel comfortable don't apply!

This forum suppose to encourage people to discuss concern and exchange ideas.

• Confused 1

@many2021 this is premature, but something for you to think about is the amount of information that your province's law society will require from you.

In BC, aside from full name and driver's license number, they'll want all names you've ever gone by, a photo of you, all your places of residence from the past 5 years, all schools attended (including high school), all school-related misconduct, all employment from the past 10 years + the reason for ending employment, any times you've been fired or suspended from a job, any charge related to a crime, offence or delinquency, and many other disclosures. On top of that, you have to authorize the Law Society to ask any person, government, educational institution, police force, military authority, governing body or other organization about anything relevant to your application, and you're authorizing all of those organizations to release the information sought by the Law Society.

And honestly, I have no reason to believe that the Law Society's privacy policies are any better than my law school's. 

20 minutes ago, many2021 said:

Thanks albertabean for clarifying. I agree with you admissions committees are very discreet. And like what tagger said it is applicant #xxx. I am wondering if application will go directly to them or it will pass through other staff...(but I guess I can't think too much) plus what if the OLSAS system being hacked? etc...

and I think Canuckfanatic answered my question. Thank you . (Just a side note even zoom was being hacked too. People can jump to the meeting in zoom without permission. But I guess now they improved.)

I create this post to see if anyone has similar concern when they are doing the application or leave the verifier "N/A"

Seriously, if you have a perfect life and still in university of course you don't have much to worry about. You probably just have your previous volunteer supervisor or a professor to write you reference etc.

Please do not send me a message like if you do not feel comfortable don't apply!

This forum suppose to encourage people to discuss concern and exchange ideas.

This is a strange comment for a variety of reasons. While I agree that the info divulged in LS applications is sensitive there are more important things to be paranoid about, and you do sound paranoid. Go and read about Five Eyes surveillance, for instance. 

Edited by MountainMon

37 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

In BC, aside from full name and driver's license number, they'll want all names you've ever gone by, a photo of you, all your places of residence from the past 5 years, all schools attended (including high school), all school-related misconduct, all employment from the past 10 years + the reason for ending employment, any times you've been fired or suspended from a job, any charge related to a crime, offence or delinquency, and many other disclosures. On top of that, you have to authorize the Law Society to ask any person, government, educational institution, police force, military authority, governing body or other organization about anything relevant to your application, and you're authorizing all of those organizations to release the information sought by the Law Society.

yes thats when it becomes licensing I understand that. I am just bringing up concern, I am not saying that they should not request info like that. I am just trying to make a BALANCE between the two protecting my personal info and try to get the application done.

I know a lot of licensing authorities request info like that they wanted to make sure licensed people are reliable etc.....

37 minutes ago, MountainMon said:

This is a strange comment for a variety of reasons. While I agree that the info divulged in LS applications is sensitive there are more important things to be paranoid about, and you do sound paranoid. 

this is because I got harassed by private message

but i like to keep the post stay positive. Good luck everyone

Edited by many2021

@many2021 I agree with you that the personal info the Ontario schools require is surprisingly detailed. Not even citizenship or security clearance "sketches" require a verifier for each individual activity. Having said that, I wouldn't leave out any verifiers or write N/A. Just provide contact info as best you can. Perhaps use general contact info for the organization, if your old boss is retired, etc.

And I wouldn't accuse the OP of being paranoid. With organizations compulsively over-collecting and retaining information and then mishandling it, it's natural that some people would feel anxious about sharing such personal details. Good luck with your application @many2021.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Musashi said:

Perhaps use general contact info for the organization, if your old boss is retired, etc.

thats a very good idea. thanks

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Musashi said:

With organizations compulsively over-collecting and retaining information and then mishandling it, it's natural that some people would feel anxious about sharing such personal details.

I actually worked in few organizations that have people's personal info and their stuff are just flying around.....so i know there is no such thing as secure.....so I would rather be skeptical to what can be released by not giving up the chance for a good application. good luck to you as well Musahi

Edited by many2021
  • Like 1

For what it's worth I did write N/A on a couple of my sketch verifiers. I filled in 99% of them, not doing so would be sketchy (pun intended), but there were some activities that I could not have a contact for. 

4 hours ago, albertabean said:

For what it's worth I did write N/A on a couple of my sketch verifiers. I filled in 99% of them, not doing so would be sketchy (pun intended), but there were some activities that I could not have a contact for. 

Thanks, it would certainly make things easier if this is acceptable. Out of curiosity though are you applying this cycle or were you accepted in a previous cycle?

Edited by Musashi
grammar correction

2 hours ago, Musashi said:

Thanks, it would certainly make things easier if this is acceptable. Out of curiosity though are you applying this cycle or were you accepted in a previous cycle?

Accepted previous cycle to several Ontario schools!

15 minutes ago, albertabean said:

Accepted previous cycle to several Ontario schools!

Nice. Congrats! Thanks!

At McGill they have the option to share your application with alumni. You sign a contract enabling them to do this.

On 10/14/2020 at 2:59 PM, Dreamchaser said:

We repeatedly give employers the right to do background checks on us and have all our personal info disclosed to them. Schools aren't that different in terms of reviewing your file. 

Most schools have large alum networks, and some schools, like McGill, are allowed to share your information with alum. That means CV, personal statement... everything. No company has the reach of a university. Maybe a government does.

What can a bad guy do? Sometimes just the sheer spread can ruin your life if you included sensitive information. If the information reaches a public figure then you can really be kept down. There's worse things that can happen. A good lesson in life is "you don't want to be too known when you aren't worth knowing," and including information in your application that sticks out not positively can do this to you.

Obviously these institutions have to have mechanisms of dealing with applications that are distasteful. Imagine using bad language or saying "I hate lawyers and the legal profession" in your personal statement. They will fight back. They can react negatively to anything.

Edited by Groucho