Josh4567

GPA 2.7 LSAT 158

5 minutes ago, Relentless2017 said:

-Snip-

First off, the 2L recruit is much larger than the 1L recruit. That is why you moved the goalpost between your posts.

Secondly, it means virtually nothing to point to the amount of students hired at a given firm. There are plenty of employers and almost all students apply broadly.

The impression you are creating is wrong.

2L stats: http://ultravires.ca/2019/12/toronto-summer-2020-2l-recruit-numbers/

Edited by CleanHands
  • Like 1

Anyone know if Ryerson averages LSATs or takes the best one? That's my best shot, I have 6, 80 percent courses so far and 4 high 70's with 10 courses to go before november.  Wondering if I should try multiple LSAT's or just wait??

Also, to the OP, I hope you get in!

Okay thanks. I have a 3.35 for my best 10 courses, with 10 to go before november, so I could possibly get that up to 3.6-3.8, so Ryerson is probably my best chance. What are some good extracurriculars I could do? I've been scoring various shades of 160 on the LSAT which is good. But debate club is closed due to covid and I'm not doing anything right now other than working at fast food and university. I will need something on there. I have a criminal record from a misspent youth so most volunteering is out.

30 minutes ago, SadNWO said:

They don't average them. They take your highest.

7 minutes ago, NoHopeLeftLol said:

Okay thanks. I have a 3.35 for my best 10 courses, with 10 to go before november, so I could possibly get that up to 3.6-3.8, so Ryerson is probably my best chance. What are some good extracurriculars I could do? I've been scoring various shades of 160 on the LSAT which is good. But debate club is closed due to covid and I'm not doing anything right now other than working at fast food and university. I will need something on there. I have a criminal record from a misspent youth so most volunteering is out.

A 3.8 and a 160 would be very respectable. As for ECs I can't think of too many options for you. Just try and represent yourself well in the interviews and have a solid PS. That should give you a good shot at Ryerson. And if those last credits bring your GPA or L2 up enough you may even try applying more broadly (I don't know if you're set on a certian area or not). 

11 minutes ago, SadNWO said:

A 3.8 and a 160 would be very respectable. As for ECs I can't think of too many options for you. Just try and represent yourself well in the interviews and have a solid PS. That should give you a good shot at Ryerson. And if those last credits bring your GPA or L2 up enough you may even try applying more broadly (I don't know if you're set on a certian area or not). 

OK thanks for the help.  I'm also thinking about Dalhousie as long as I can keep my grades up, and Sask if I can do a good LSAT as well as applying some other schools on access with a psychiatrist letter due to the fact that I was diagnosed with severe mental illness and this has affected my grades until this past year, where things stabilised abit and I was able to pull off a solid semester and things also going well so far this semester.  I have some good academic references and have a knack for interviews so hopefully things will work out, if not I will try again in another year after getting my cGPA up a bit higher and working some EC's in there.  But no I'm not set on any particular school; from what I've gathered here any law school in Canada is a major blessing.  I hope to someday work as a defense lawyer and mental health advocate in Newfoundland.

Sorry for asking a billion questions, but do you know if L2 usually includes summer semesters/last 20 credits or if it means last 2 years literally?

1 minute ago, NoHopeLeftLol said:

OK thanks for the help.  I'm also thinking about Dalhousie as long as I can keep my grades up, and Sask if I can do a good LSAT as well as applying some other schools on access with a psychiatrist letter due to the fact that I was diagnosed with severe mental illness and this has affected my grades until this past year, where things stabilised abit and I was able to pull off a solid semester and things also going well so far this semester.  I have some good academic references and have a knack for interviews so hopefully things will work out, if not I will try again in another year after getting my cGPA up a bit higher and working some EC's in there.  But no I'm not set on any particular school; from what I've gathered here any law school in Canada is a major blessing.  I hope to someday work as a defense lawyer and mental health advocate in Newfoundland.

Sorry for asking a billion questions, but do you know if L2 usually includes summer semesters/last 20 credits or if it means last 2 years literally?

Queens won't take summer courses. Everyone else will. As for which credits they take, it varies a bit by school but your L2 is roughly your last 4 consecutive semesters. But again, it varies. 

Also consider applying to UNB, they'll remove 25% of your worst marks if you've graduated. They will also give you bonus points if you are from the Maritimes. 

8 minutes ago, SadNWO said:

Queens won't take summer courses. Everyone else will. As for which credits they take, it varies a bit by school but your L2 is roughly your last 4 consecutive semesters. But again, it varies. 

Also consider applying to UNB, they'll remove 25% of your worst marks if you've graduated. They will also give you bonus points if you are from the Maritimes. 

Noted.  I will definitely consider UNB, although if you saw my transcript you would cringe, there's lots of 50's and 60's on there from a point in my life where I would have been satisfied with a business degree.  So I'm definitely relying on some of the more holistic schools lol.  I'm capable of much better than that but it's going to take some time or luck to "remedy my standing with God and men" as Machiavelli would say.

6 hours ago, NoHopeLeftLol said:

I'm not sure how this makes mathematical sense. I could be wrong here, but I think getting a 3.8 B20 will be very hard.

So let's assume you get an A+ in 10 courses before you graduate. This gives you 3.675 B20 at most (4.0 x10 + 3.35 x 10) divided by 20.

Let's say you get a few low A's and a few A+'s. 3.7 x 5 + 4.0 x 5 + 3.35 x 10 divided by 20. You are sitting at maybe a 3.6.

Even one B+ or less out of your next best 10 courses will drop you more into the 3.5 B20 range.

Doing the math is not my job, and I admit I am making this post without proper time to figure this out exactly. (I'm saying this respectfully!) But you might want to double check your realistic GPA expectations.

Reference: https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/olsas-ryerson/ (go to "Requirements)

https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/olsas-conversion-table/

42 minutes ago, SNAILS said:

I'm not sure how this makes mathematical sense. I could be wrong here, but I think getting a 3.8 B20 will be very hard.

So let's assume you get an A+ in 10 courses before you graduate. This gives you 3.675 B20 at most (4.0 x10 + 3.35 x 10) divided by 20.

Let's say you get a few low A's and a few A+'s. 3.7 x 5 + 4.0 x 5 + 3.35 x 10 divided by 20. You are sitting at maybe a 3.6.

Even one B+ or less out of your next best 10 courses will drop you more into the 3.5 B20 range.

Doing the math is not my job, and I admit I am making this post without proper time to figure this out exactly. (I'm saying this respectfully!) But you might want to double check your realistic GPA expectations.

Reference: https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/olsas-ryerson/ (go to "Requirements)

https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/olsas-conversion-table/

I think Dal and  does 4.3. I didn't know how it worked at Ryerson. Thanks.

On 1/23/2021 at 10:51 AM, Relentless2017 said:

There are only ever 10 articling students in a large corporate law firm, most of them being former summer students.  

Not interested in getting in the middle of this back and forth but this statement is not factual. Most large firms have many more than 10 articling students.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, NoHopeLeftLol said:

I think Dal and  does 4.3. I didn't know how it worked at Ryerson. Thanks.

Might you be calculating your GPA on the 4.3 scale?

Why don't you plug your courses into this GPA calculator made by @Ryn ?

https://lawapplicants.ca/grade/index

31 minutes ago, erinl2 said:

Not interested in getting in the middle of this back and forth but this statement is not factual. Most large firms have many more than 10 articling students.

https://precedentjd.com/hireback-watch/toronto-wide-hireback-numbers/

Okay, some have up to 20, but most have 10 and under. Regardless, I can imagine those that are hiring 20-30 articling students like Faskens is still a difficult  position to land. 

Edited by Relentless2017

@Relentless2017 I didn't remember who you were or what you had previously written here when I was responding to you yesterday.

In this thread alone, you have asserted the following:

-Exceptional ECs can offset a poor GPA in law school admissions (maybe to some extent at holistic schools but you massively overstated the extent of this--you even coupled it with talk of getting a high LSAT but the LSAT is much more important than ECs; stats are what matter in Canadian law school admissions and strong ECs can be helpful for marginal candidates but not otherwise uncompetitive ones)
-A paralegal degree and work experience fall into said category of exceptional ECs (just no)
-Bay Street jobs are extremely difficult and competitive to land, based on 1L recruit numbers and your firm's hiring numbers (no need to rehash why this is a bad take)

Even when you've written stuff that has some bit of qualified truth to it, you've greatly exaggerated things. You are also citing your experience working at a law firm in a non-lawyer and non-law student capacity as if that makes you some sort of authority on these things (and this rubs me the wrong way because 0Ls are going to listen to you as a result), and every time you've been challenged you've doubled down on your terrible takes on everything and moved the goalposts.

I'd suggest you ease up on giving people advice for the time being. And that you revisit this thread in a few years and see what you think of what you've written then.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Relentless2017 said:

https://precedentjd.com/hireback-watch/toronto-wide-hireback-numbers/

Okay, some have up to 20, but most have 10 and under. Regardless, I can imagine those that are hiring 20-30 articling students like Faskens is still a difficult  position to land. 

No. The first three large corporate firms I did a quick search for had more than 20. Please stop making definitive statements when you aren't knowledgable about every firm. The Precedent link is not a list of large corporate firms. I'm not disputing, or commenting on, the difficulty of securing a position at one of these firms.

I would recommend that any applicants who are interested in this, have a look at firm websites. It's very easy to learn about summer student and articling programs. 

• Like 3