thelawfulmuskrat

Tuition disparities

Hi guys,

Applying to law schools right now, and couldn't help but notice incredible price disparities.

For example UofT is over 30k per year, queens/western is around 20, and Ottawa/Uvic and UBC are around 10.

I would much rather go to Western than Ottawa, but can double tuition be justified? 30k in total is a lot of money, and I definitely would never take a big law job in Toronto to make up for it.

For context, I have LSAT 166 and GPA 3.83/4, and am still trying to figure out where to apply. Am leaning towards UVic for the price, prestige, and location (I like smaller towns/cities and lots of nature) but staying at home in Ontario would have its upsides as well.

Thanks!

Ottawa isnt 10k per year. It's closer to 20k.

Also, is there a question? 

You should apply to where you are open to going and where you would like to practice afterwards. 

Do you want to practice in BC? If so, you should apply and go to Uvic or UBC.

If you want to practice in Ontario, you are better off going to Western or Queens if you cannot justify UofT's price tag.  

thanks... this helps a lot. I wanted to work in NY and attend at T14 school, but coming from a working class family i cannot IMAGINE paying $350K USD for school. I make 70k right now working in digital. 

So.... my options are really only... Osgoode, UofT, and western (assuming i'll be paying for school using majority of my money).

2 minutes ago, techlaw2025 said:

thanks... this helps a lot. I wanted to work in NY and attend at T14 school, but coming from a working class family i cannot IMAGINE paying $350K USD for school. I make 70k right now working in digital. 

So.... my options are really only... Osgoode, UofT, and western (assuming i'll be paying for school using majority of my money).

your stats and LSAT?

CGPA 3.53.... L2 3.86 ... writing lsat Jan 2021. Great extracurriculars/leadership/work experience on Bay st... hoping to pursue IP in the tech or digital entertainment sector. I love regulatory work. 

3 hours ago, thelawfulmuskrat said:

For context, I have LSAT 166 and GPA 3.83/4, and am still trying to figure out where to apply. Am leaning towards UVic for the price, prestige, and location (I like smaller towns/cities and lots of nature) but staying at home in Ontario would have its upsides as well.

As OnlyResident said, you need to factor in where you want to live/work. Coming out here to BC for the lower tuition is unlikely to be worth it if you want to be back in Ontario. Vancouver and Victoria are not cheap to live in, and adding in trips back to Ontario for visits and job-hunting will further erode the tuition advantage.

Ifi you want to work in the GPA, you may find your best compromise is Queen's or Western... easy access to the Toronto market, with considerably lower tuition and cost of living than if you were to stay in Toronto. At the end of a year, you may find you're not any worse off than if you'd come to Victoria.

This is not even considering the possibility that you could get bigger scholarships at Queen's or Western, since you'll likely sit a little higher in the applicant pool than you would for UVic or UBC, where your stats may be closer to the median.

All of the above really depends, though... on you!

Best of luck making your decision; you should have lots of options. :)

-GM

PS the "small town/nature" thing is really relative. In a previous thread I claimed that Victoria was not great for enjoying nature, and everyone jumped down my throat. I think the take-home is that it really depends on the comparison point. If you are from downtown Toronto, then yes, it's small and quaint and natural here. If you're from Bobcaygeon, then Victoria is a claustrophobic urban hellscape, and horrible traffic will bar all your escape routes to the "real" nature. For me the reality is closer to the latter experience, but I seem to be in the minority. Just something to take into consideration before you get too far along in your visualizations of your future law school environs!

Edited by GrumpyMountie
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, OnlyResident said:

Ottawa isnt 10k per year. It's closer to 20k.

Also, is there a question?

You're right, looks like the oxford seminars is way off now. And sorry the post wasn't too focused I was just looking for some general discussion about prices, since schools like UVic are still about half of schools like queens.

9 hours ago, GrumpyMountie said:

As OnlyResident said, you need to factor in where you want to live/work. Coming out here to BC for the lower tuition is unlikely to be worth it if you want to be back in Ontario. Vancouver and Victoria are not cheap to live in, and adding in trips back to Ontario for visits and job-hunting will further erode the tuition advantage.

Ifi you want to work in the GPA, you may find your best compromise is Queen's or Western... easy access to the Toronto market, with considerably lower tuition and cost of living than if you were to stay in Toronto. At the end of a year, you may find you're not any worse off than if you'd come to Victoria.

This is not even considering the possibility that you could get bigger scholarships at Queen's or Western, since you'll likely sit a little higher in the applicant pool than you would for UVic or UBC, where your stats may be closer to the median.

All of the above really depends, though... on you!

Best of luck making your decision; you should have lots of options. :)

-GM

PS the "small town/nature" thing is really relative. In a previous thread I claimed that Victoria was not great for enjoying nature, and everyone jumped down my throat. I think the take-home is that it really depends on the comparison point. If you are from downtown Toronto, then yes, it's small and quaint and natural here. If you're from Bobcaygeon, then Victoria is a claustrophobic urban hellscape, and horrible traffic will bar all your escape routes to the "real" nature. For me the reality is closer to the latter experience, but I seem to be in the minority. Just something to take into consideration before you get too far along in your visualizations of your future law school environs!

I hadn't looked at things this way, it certainly makes queens/western seem more viable. I would never want to live in Toronto so if I went to queens/western I would try to get a job in Ottawa near my family.

As for the small town nature thing, I likely won't get to visit Victoria due to the pandemic, so I am willing to take your word on this. I guess my comparison point would be London or Kingston. In my head, Victoria is nice hikes 30 mins away, amazing surfing opportunities, a beach to chill at nearby, some half decent ski hills (I'm used to the smallest hills you can imagine) and year round golf. UBC on the other hand has the best mountains in the world nearby, although I could foresee that the hour+ long drive to get there (and I don't have a car) could be a bit of a damper.

12 hours ago, techlaw2025 said:

CGPA 3.53.... L2 3.86 ... writing lsat Jan 2021. Great extracurriculars/leadership/work experience on Bay st... hoping to pursue IP in the tech or digital entertainment sector. I love regulatory work. 

are your  3.53 and 3.86 are OLSAS basis?

Why don't you write in Nov?

Edited by Luckycharm

2 hours ago, thelawfulmuskrat said:

UBC on the other hand has the best mountains in the world nearby, although I could foresee that the hour+ long drive to get there (and I don't have a car) could be a bit of a damper.

I'm pretty sure there's a ski & board club at UBC that organizes shuttles to and from Whistler. There's also a pretty solid discount on lift passes for UBC students. But I digress, while that's a pretty nice incentive it shouldn't be a primary reason to go to UBC, whatever you save on ski passes will be spent on living in Vancouver 😔

• Like 1

It's been my experience that despite tuition prices, most people end law school with a high 5 figure to low 6 figure debt.

People that finish with less than that either have had financial assistance from family, are extraordinarily disciplined with finances, or some combination of the two.

Regardless of the tuition everyone has access to the same loans and line of credit, and people have a tendency to spend money that they have.

29 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

I'm pretty sure there's a ski & board club at UBC that organizes shuttles to and from Whistler. There's also a pretty solid discount on lift passes for UBC students. But I digress, while that's a pretty nice incentive it shouldn't be a primary reason to go to UBC, whatever you save on ski passes will be spent on living in Vancouver 😔

One huuuge factor towards UBC being my #1 choice, despite the crazy rent, is honestly stuff like this. If you're heavily affected by your environment it can make the bigger price tag worth it. My mental health would be better than ever in a city like Vancouver. Where I live now we go play soccer in a schoolyard field on our break days... but having Whistler? Bruh.

Every law school will cost a thick chunk of change, but it depends on each individual's financial situation and, equally so, what they feel is most worth that chunk of change (to an extent though, of course).

On 10/7/2020 at 1:02 PM, Luckycharm said:

Why don't you write in Nov?

Not ready, I want to achieve a 175+ on my LSAT and i work full time in a bank (i'm in a new grad associate program, so every 6 months im on a new team), so i actively have to be present in my job. 

Edited by techlaw2025

28 minutes ago, techlaw2025 said:

Not ready, I want to achieve a 175+ on my LSAT and i work full time in a bank (i'm in a new grad associate program, so every 6 months im on a new team), so i actively have to be present in my job. 

175+? good for you

Edited by Luckycharm

26 minutes ago, techlaw2025 said:

Not ready, I want to achieve a 175+ on my LSAT 

Why? There isn't a single Canadian school that requires a 175+ for admission. 

23 minutes ago, Tagger said:

When I wrote the LSAT, I wanted a 170+ simply to upstage my older sister who scored a 167 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

When I wrote the LSAT, I wanted a 170+ simply to upstage my older sister who scored a 167 🤷‍♂️

Nothing wrong with that, but isn't it risky to forgo the November write because you're aiming for a 175+ in January? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luckycharm said:

175+? good for you

Good for me as I am seeing this as a stepping stone into my adult life, so I want to do the best that I can. As well, I'm also applying to american schools too. This is really something i want to do for myself and and no, my scores are not OLAS calculated. My GPA is average, and I have amazing soft skills so I'm also relying on a good LSAT score too. 

1 hour ago, Tagger said:

Nothing wrong with that, but isn't it risky to forgo the November write because you're aiming for a 175+ in January? 

Is it? Not sure. I don't think I'll be entirely ready in 30days. I'm registered for November but I don't want to stress myself out. Are there implications for taking in January?

1 hour ago, Tagger said:

Are there implications for writing in January? I'm applying to Osgoode, UofT, UofOttawa and MAYBE Western.