Posted (edited)

I was wondering if anyone here knows someone or have themselves been accepted with two academic LORs? I have two strong academic references but would have a hard time finding a non-academic one. When I emailed admissions communicating this and asking if having two academic LORs means an auto reject, they replied by just asking if I can have one of my references submit themselves as a non-academic reference. This confused me because my question wasn't answered, and as far as I know there isn't anything on OLSAS that requires referees to be submitted under a specific category? Secondly, why would an academic referee even submit themselves as non-academic even if they could? I'm starting to wonder whether I would be better off not applying because I don't want to spend more than necessary on application fees if I know I won't get accepted!

Edited by deliciouskiwi

1) You'll need one academic and one non-academic, I don't know why but i strongly recommend that you find one.

2) You're right about not being a specific category, however one look at your references will clearly distinguish who they are. For example, i also have 2 academic references and 1 non-academic. My two academics are Dr X and Dr Y, along with the departments they work at for my University. My non-academic is just Mr Z, and under the information provided its just manager of the store I work at. 

3) The only reason they would submit themselves as a non-academic referee would presumably be  because they're doing you a favour if you asked them too.

If you're really adamant on not being able to find a non-academic reference then I'd likely not apply. With that being said, you should be able to find one because I'm sure you've worked a job at least somewhat recently, or been a part of a club or volunteering activity where someone would be able to vouch for you. If you haven't done any of those things listed above, I'd be surprised you're applying to law school in the first place unless you have amazing stats 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 6:50 PM, Syndicate03 said:

1) You'll need one academic and one non-academic, I don't know why but i strongly recommend that you find one.

2) You're right about not being a specific category, however one look at your references will clearly distinguish who they are. For example, i also have 2 academic references and 1 non-academic. My two academics are Dr X and Dr Y, along with the departments they work at for my University. My non-academic is just Mr Z, and under the information provided its just manager of the store I work at.

3) The only reason they would submit themselves as a non-academic referee would presumably be  because they're doing you a favour if you asked them too.

If you're really adamant on not being able to find a non-academic reference then I'd likely not apply. With that being said, you should be able to find one because I'm sure you've worked a job at least somewhat recently, or been a part of a club or volunteering activity where someone would be able to vouch for you. If you haven't done any of those things listed above, I'd be surprised you're applying to law school in the first place unless you have amazing stats 

Thanks for the solid advice! I took it to heart and was able to find a non-academic reference, so it looks like I will be applying to Windsor this cycle. Best of luck :)

• Like 1

So, are you telling me that you have done nothing outside of academics that would cast you in a positive light?

No sports? No student council? No part time job?