theprincers

Odds of Acceptance (3.7, 3.9, 150)

Posted (edited)

Yeah, hoping to get a 155 ish. I think my GPA is strong, I have good EC's (judo competitor, taught and competed in Taekwondo and taught Muay Thai) and good letters of reference. Why do you suspect that my odds are so low?

Edited by theprincers
typo

28 minutes ago, theprincers said:

Why do you suspect that my odds are so low?

Even for a school that focuses primarily on cGPA (as pointed out by Luckycharm), a 150 LSAT is very low. I don't think there would be any Canadian law schools with a median admitted LSAT below 155 or so. 

So while your cGPA is solidly above-average for Ottawa, your LSAT is probably a solid quartile below the median accepted score - so it's still an uphill climb.

If you get that 155, it will change things a very great deal. :)

-GM

Understood, thanks for the answer. What do you suspect my odds being if I got the LSAT score up to a 155?

2 hours ago, theprincers said:

Understood, thanks for the answer. What do you suspect my odds being if I got the LSAT score up to a 155?

50%

hire a private tutor. 157 75%, 160 100%

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 10/4/2020 at 8:31 AM, theprincers said:

Right now I'd say your chances are 20%.

If you bumped to 155 I would say your chances are 80-85% based on your strong cGPA.

If you bumped it to 157 I would say you have a 95% shot. 

Edited by Lawstudent3210

Gotcha. I'll gun for a 160 then just to be safe but won't be too bummed out if I get a 157. Yeah I'm glad my average can carry me somewhat

On 10/8/2020 at 7:36 PM, theprincers said:

Gotcha. I'll gun for a 160 then just to be safe but won't be too bummed out if I get a 157. Yeah I'm glad my average can carry me somewhat

Based on your LSAT score, i don't think you're anywhere near being ready to hire a tutor. I wouldn't hire one unless you need very specific help in a particular section to get over a hump/plateau. If you're scoring a 150, not to be rude but you have a lot of deeper issues with the test, as in the fundamentals you need to have a better grasp of. I would put my money into a course like 7sage and go through the curriculum and doing the blind reviews and really solidifying your understanding of the test. I speak from experience, i went from a 152 to a 165 in less than a year without hiring any sort of tutor, in only 2 test writes. Your grades are fantastic and you'll easily get a great score if you study properly 

Edited by Syndicate03
spelling

10 hours ago, Syndicate03 said:

Based on your LSAT score, i don't think you're anywhere near being ready to hire a tutor. I wouldn't hire one unless you need very specific help in a particular section to get over a hump/plateau. If you're scoring a 150, not to be rude but you have a lot of deeper issues with the test, as in the fundamentals you need to have a better grasp of. I would put my money into a course like 7sage and go through the curriculum and doing the blind reviews and really solidifying your understanding of the test. I speak from experience, i went from a 152 to a 165 in less than a year without hiring any sort of tutor, in only 2 test writes. Your grades are fantastic and you'll easily get a great score if you study properly 

Yeah well to be fair I wrote it in a rush and didn't actually have much time to study at all. I wonder, if I end up getting something like a 157 how my odds would fair

33 minutes ago, theprincers said:

Yeah well to be fair I wrote it in a rush and didn't actually have much time to study at all. I wonder, if I end up getting something like a 157 how my odds would fair

What if you get 160?

You have very competitive GPA for Ottawa and you choose not to spend more time on LSAT. Your odds is 100% with 160 and anything above 157 is good. 150 is under 25% 

You're right, I'll actively gun for the 160 Lucky! Especially since I'm taking a year off and would only want to start Law School in Fall of 2022

3 hours ago, theprincers said:

Yeah well to be fair I wrote it in a rush and didn't actually have much time to study at all

How long did you study for? I strongly recommend studying with PowerScore books (take the online course if you can afford it).

1 hour ago, theprincers said:

You're right, I'll actively gun for the 160 Lucky! Especially since I'm taking a year off and would only want to start Law School in Fall of 2022

hire a private tutor...

3 hours ago, canuckfanatic said:

How long did you study for? I strongly recommend studying with PowerScore books (take the online course if you can afford it).

Man like a month if that lol. I'll give it more time for sure

If you put in the work, you can almost certainly get into law school, in my opinion.

But you can't go in with that 150 as is. Practice, practice, practice. Study, study, study. Take the LSAT. If you don't do well, wait a year and keep working until you get 155 to 160+.

@SNAILS thank you so much for your comment. That makes me feel good, and will do. As stated I am taking a year off after undergrad and plan to write in January and April of this year: If I score anything above a 156/7 then I'll feel good but I still have an insane number of attempts to get the 160

See my PM.

What is your process when you do an "insane number of attempts"? One of the most important rules for studying for the LSAT is to review the heck out of your LSAT before looking at the answers.

JY Ping explains this in his videos on 7Sage.com (available free on the website or YouTube, I think). Keywords: "Blind Review"

I often do a PrepTest (35 min per section) and then spend 6 to 12 hours blind reviewing, then watch videos about the answers.

7 hours ago, SNAILS said:

See my PM.

What is your process when you do an "insane number of attempts"? One of the most important rules for studying for the LSAT is to review the heck out of your LSAT before looking at the answers.

JY Ping explains this in his videos on 7Sage.com (available free on the website or YouTube, I think). Keywords: "Blind Review"

I often do a PrepTest (35 min per section) and then spend 6 to 12 hours blind reviewing, then watch videos about the answers.

Ah yes I should have rephrased that, meaning that I have a lot of times to write the LSAT after my January attempt. Im trying to keep my number of attempts relatively low (say 2-3?)