canuckfanatic

Working on the weekend

8 hours ago, easttowest said:

It’s weird to me that nobody thinks about the optics of these things. I never send correspondence to anyone past a reasonable hour unless I know they’re expecting to see it come in that night or we’ve been talking throughout the night. I always draft what I want to send and then actually send it at 8:30am or whatever. In Gmail I had something where I could schedule the send, I’m sure outlook has a similar feature.

You just look... more prepared and less possibly crazy. 

I think about this all the time. I'm an articling student and I've sent e-mails at 10pm only to get a comment on it the next day from asking why I was working that late (hint - it's because I'm overworked!).

Part of why I email late is because mentally, when I finish a task I like to have it wrapped up and out of my hands so that I can go to sleep peacefully. The other reason is that I tend to start work later than in the day than some of the lawyers I help with, and I want them to have it in their inbox ready to go as soon as they log on. Unfortunately there's no schedule send on the version of outlook my office uses. Otherwise I would use it all the time! It's frustrating

Former rural articling student, now rural practitioner. General nature of my world is that I do everything on any file assigned to me plus whatever the boss needs. 

My first boss ran me into the ground to the point where I was in the office at 2-4 a.m. on multiple occasions, working on projects I had been handed the afternoon before, for filing/court/whatever the following morning. It's difficult to describe how demoralizing that felt when the whole reason I wanted (and accepted) the job was an explicit assurance the hours and lifestyle would be better than the city. 

My new boss is much better and I am now much happier. 

• Like 4

Follow-up question: Who else here has lied to someone that you "have so much work to do this weekend" to get out of something else you didn't want to do?

Edited by canuckfanatic
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, canuckfanatic said:

Follow-up question: Who else here has lied to someone that you "have so much work to do this weekend" to get out of something else you didn't want to do?

Never. Even little lies like that can catch up to you, e.g., when the person finds out you were actually on a ski trip or whatever. And, yes, I've seen that EXACT scenario play out. And yes that person got fired. 

Edit: to be clear, that person had a history of issues like this and this was just the straw that broke the camel's back, but point remains that it chips away at your credibility until you have none. 

Edited by conge

8 minutes ago, conge said:

Never. Even little lies like that can catch up to you, e.g., when the person finds out you were actually on a ski trip or whatever. And, yes, I've seen that EXACT scenario play out. And yes that person got fired. 

Edit: to be clear, that person had a history of issues like this and this was just the straw that broke the camel's back, but point remains that it chips away at your credibility until you have none. 

Lol, pretty sure that canuckfanatic meant to get out of non work things. 

Like, oh, I'd love to come to Thanksgiving, dear Auntie, even though Ford asked us not to do big Thanksgiving gatherings, but I just have so much work to catch up on. Yeah it's crazy being an articling student! 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, feraenaturae said:

Lol, pretty sure that canuckfanatic meant to get out of non work things. 

Like, oh, I'd love to come to Thanksgiving, dear Auntie, even though Ford asked us not to do big Thanksgiving gatherings, but I just have so much work to catch up on. Yeah it's crazy being an articling student! 

Ahhh yes they probably did - apologies @canuckfanatic you probably did mean that.

I'm not sure I've ever lied to someone about that, but I have definitely found work to be a socially acceptable reason to miss things...

• Like 1

When I was a student I had a partner call me on a weekend morning asking why I wasn’t in the office yet and I had to run in (I knew I had to come in but he didn’t tell me to come in so early). I was late but no harm was done. 

4 hours ago, feraenaturae said:

I'm currently deciding whether to do some work today and some tomorrow, or do all of it today or all of it tomorrow? 🤔

I’d pick a day and take a day. A full day off is just so good.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, easttowest said:

I’d pick a day and take a day. A full day off is just so good.

That's what I did! 

I did find that to be the case sometime in second year of law school. By third year I was taking three full days off some weeks though. 

Didn't have to work this weekend. So I hiked yesterday and had soccer practice today (my legs are mad at me).

Now I can do work that isn't articling but part of my many ECs (law related).

The law school multi faceted career mantra never stops I guess.

I'm probably docketing about 16 hours Saturday/Sunday this weekend...

I would call you all lazy, but here I am posting on ls.ca from the office!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Will be working 14-16 hours this weekend probably. Still worried it won't be enough. Gotta love assignments given on a Thursday!

Same boat. Except I manufactured this crisis myself 😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Students + Loneliness + Exhaustion -> Billable Hours, it's the chemical reaction which turns debt into residential real estate. 

Edited by realpseudonym
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, student0033 said:

Yep, first worked on the weekend when I was 14 years old.

Congratulations, you must be very proud.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, realpseudonym said:

Students + Loneliness + Exhaustion -> Billable Hours, it's the chemical reaction which turns debt into Toronto residential real estate. 

I've never spoken to real estate agents more than I have this year 😂 😔

We just got a gift out of the blue from the agents who helped us buy our current place about two years ago. I mean, I know people are dreaming these days, but we only moved two years ago. We're not moving again just because of Covid!

• Haha 1