0Lawschool2020

What will you do if classes end up being online for fall 2021?

Keep in mind that many, if not most, schools did not allow for online learning to be a reason for deferral for this year's 1Ls. I doubt that it would be different this cycle, but who knows. 

FYI, Allard had optional in-person class time for 1Ls on a rotating basis. It was up to individual 1L profs whether or not they wanted to participate in this system and some ultimately didn’t. So there was some in-person stuff but I’m not sure how helpful it was. I suspect at minimum Allard will keep this system next fall and if the vaccine schedule is on track, provide more in-person opportunities.

EDIT: Allard did not allow online learning as a reason for deferral in fall 2020 and probably won’t again in fall 2021. You’d have to take your chances and reapply.

Edited by Psychometronic
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CleanHands said:

I wouldn't have even considered deferring if I was an applicant at this point, but before going to law school I really don't think I would have appreciated how much worse the online law school experience would be compared to in-person school for 1L. I did part of my undergrad studies through online distance education and that was fine, but law school is a whole different animal.

The social aspect, the networking aspect, good class participation dynamics, access to professors, etc, are all extremely important and were all exponentially better in person. Online 3L is fine but to do this in 1L would be brutal and anyone doing so has my sympathies. I agree with you and emphasize it to applicants because it isn't something I would have really "gotten" had I not been fortunate enough to complete 1L in-person.

Thanks for this. I wonder how much of the atmosphere you described can/will be maintained even if/when law schools go fully in person.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MountainMon said:

Thanks for this. I wonder how much of the atmosphere you described can/will be maintained even if/when law schools go fully in person.

No worries and best of luck! As for your question, I think it ties to a bigger and broader question with implications way beyond law school. I wonder if in the coming years people will be so starved for social contact and miss the things they used to do so much that there will be a flurry of social activity and clubs, bars, restaurants, etc will boom like never before, or if certain practices making our society more cold and distant will be held over from this past the point of being necessary.

I'll be starting law school in the fall regardless of whether it's in-person or online. It sucks that it could be online, especially since the social aspect of law school (meeting other students, getting to know the profs, networking, etc.) is something that I think is so important to the experience, but I haven't struggled with online school so I don't think it would affect my in-class learning, and the networking is something that I can still get as a 2L or 3L when the pandemic is over. 

Isn't it just wonderful that we can already imagine school being pushed online for a second year in a row. I still have faith in multiple (4-5) vaccines being in stock by April and then they'll push hard into August for classes to be in person, even if with masks. I think that having purely online classes this fall would speak to a massive failure on the part of our government. 

• Like 4

I will definitely not defer. I don’t mind the first semester being online (if it’s going to be online, j would imagine it would only be the first semester, as it would probably be because they didn’t have enough time/resources to distribute the vaccine). I actually enjoy learning on my own. I also do not want to waste anymore time - I’m in my mid 20’s and I feel like I should’ve started law school a while ago!