chlowoods

ottawa vs. osgoode

hey y'all!

i'm really interested in going into health law or into human rights law. one of my ultimate goals would be to work for the UN or Human Rights watch. I have an undergrad in health, so i'm really passionate about blending my passion for social determinants of health with my passion for law and policy! i'd love to hear thoughts on which school would be better to help me achieve this and give me better opportunities :) 

Went to Ottawa for 1L and transferred to OZ

Both schools are great OZ has better campus.

Apply to both and see what happens.

What are your stats?

1 hour ago, Luckycharm said:

Went to Ottawa for 1L and transferred to OZ

Both schools are great OZ has better campus.

Apply to both and see what happens.

What are your stats?

thank so much for the response!

my GPA as per OLSAS is a 3.98 and my LSAT is a 166! what do you think my chances would be at either?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, chlowoods said:

thank so much for the response!

my GPA as per OLSAS is a 3.98 and my LSAT is a 166! what do you think my chances would be at either?

If the sun rises from the west and sets to the north on Oct 3, 2020 an, then you will not get in both.

My personal choice- OZ

Edited by Luckycharm
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 10/1/2020 at 9:37 PM, chlowoods said:

hey y'all!

i'm really interested in going into health law or into human rights law. one of my ultimate goals would be to work for the UN or Human Rights watch. I have an undergrad in health, so i'm really passionate about blending my passion for social determinants of health with my passion for law and policy! i'd love to hear thoughts on which school would be better to help me achieve this and give me better opportunities :) 

I can't speak to Osgoode so I'll just say about uOttawa...

I can't say that uOttawa is known for having a strong health law education. But uOttawa definitely leans into being a social justice focused law school. And if you want to work for the UN, I would note that international law is quite strong at uOttawa. uOttawa is pretty much the only Canadian school to compete in the big international law moots (like the Jessup) against schools like Harvard, Sorbonne, King College London etc. and regularly WIN. 

If you're interested in law and policy, location-wise, it's cool to be in Ottawa and be right by Parliament and the Supreme Court as well.

Edited by gg092

On 10/1/2020 at 3:37 PM, chlowoods said:

i'm really interested in going into health law or into human rights law. one of my ultimate goals would be to work for the UN or Human Rights watch.

Pick whichever school you prefer, because you almost certainly will not end up doing either of these things. 

• Like 9

Make your choice based on which city you prefer to live in.

OZ has a greater course offering and is the more competitive school to get into, so I would choose OZ myself in a heartbeat.

On 10/12/2020 at 6:09 AM, SNAILS said:

Make your choice based on which city you prefer to live in.

OZ has a greater course offering and is the more competitive school to get into, so I would choose OZ myself in a heartbeat.

In other words, "Use criterion x, though I myself would use criteria and z." Slightly confusing advice!

On 10/10/2020 at 1:18 PM, beyondsection17 said:

Pick whichever school you prefer, because you almost certainly will not end up doing either of these things. 

I am still just a 1L and don't really know what I'm talking about, but I believe that beyondsection17's advice is smart.

The "focus areas" that schools advertise don't necessarily map well onto the actual legal job market, from what I understand (again, just a 1L). Health law can involve insurance cases regarding accidents, injuries, pollution, etc., pharma or medical device IP (so, really IP law), challenging mental health detentions (which would be more analogous to criminal law), or giving legal advice on health policy (which would generally be provincial government work). So while Ottawa advertises a focus on health law (I was interested in it, too), it doesn't mean there's a clear path to actually acquire a job in "health law".

In the interest of keeping my post short, I won't repeat the above paragraph structure for human rights law, but if I did, it would make a similar point. ;)

Basically, if I am right, and advertised focus areas do not correlate well with job opportunities, we're back to "what school will give me the best job prospects overall?", and perhaps "Where do I want to live?"

To be clear, there's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a job focused on health or human rights. But there may be something wrong with choosing a school on the principal basis that they advertise strengths in those fields.

-GM