FortifiedEight

2021-2022 Toronto Articling ITCs

3 hours ago, TorontoJ said:

I wonder how FortifiedEight fared. He or she had like 12 interviews!

I took a job in Vancouver, cancelled all my interviews :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FortifiedEight said:

I took a job in Vancouver, cancelled all my interviews :)

Congrats!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NoobTube said:

so pragmatically speaking - what are the options for us "successfully challenged" individuals? look outside of toronto? 

I have a few friends in the same boat and plan to continue to send out jobs to them as I come across them. I've been doing this for a few years and even if it directly doesn't help, just being part of the group certainly made me feel good when I struck out in OCIs. Just knowing you're not alone can help. So you can reach out to others you know in the same position, or feel free to DM me and I can add you to our little group. Either way, lots more jobs will come up, so stay hopeful!

• Like 3

anyone hear of goodmans having technical difficulties sending out offers? I nailed my interview but havent heard from them today

• Like 1

Does anyone see a benefit to following up and asking for feedback? Specifically thinking that the City of Toronto may at least have some useful information considering it is a public institution and the process was very formulaic. 

On the other hand, I should probably just move on...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tortfeasor said:

Does anyone see a benefit to following up and asking for feedback? Specifically thinking that the City of Toronto may at least have some useful information considering it is a public institution and the process was very formulaic. 

On the other hand, I should probably just move on...

Lots of people request feedback. Best bet is to reach out to a student coordinator / main contact point rather than an interviewing lawyer (at our firm, when feedback is requested, the student coordinator will canvass the interviewing lawyers for comment so we don't all have to respond to individual requests), and maybe give it until next week to let everyone catch their breath.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JustHireMeAlready said:

Congrats @FortifiedEight! I feel like I know you now 😂  You've been a helpful saint on this thread throughout this entire process! 

Aw, I feel like I know you too :) I'm happy to help!! Having been rejected myself, the thing that got me through was knowing I had the support of others. If I can give that back to others in the same position, then I'll do anything to do so :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barelylegal said:

Lots of people request feedback. Best bet is to reach out to a student coordinator / main contact point rather than an interviewing lawyer (at our firm, when feedback is requested, the student coordinator will canvass the interviewing lawyers for comment so we don't all have to respond to individual requests), and maybe give it until next week to let everyone catch their breath.

Speaking of, does anyone know how to ask a quasi-government employer for feedback? I know government employers score you, and this was a substantive interview, but I'm not sure they actually have scores to provide, so I'm not sure what to ask? Should I just ask generally for feedback?

6 minutes ago, FortifiedEight said:

Speaking of, does anyone know how to ask a quasi-government employer for feedback? I know government employers score you, and this was a substantive interview, but I'm not sure they actually have scores to provide, so I'm not sure what to ask? Should I just ask generally for feedback?

They tend to give you specific feedback. Ask for it, and follow up in a few weeks if you don't hear back.

• Thanks 1

Hey everyone!

I know this threads going to be quiet now but I want to share an older post about job searches. I found it when I was nervous before the articling interviews. I think it would have been reassuring seeing something like this when I was unsuccessful with the OCIs.  

My heart goes out to everyone still looking. Good luck! You will find something soon :) 

Edited by DoingItRight
  • Like 5

37 minutes ago, DoingItRight said:

Hey everyone!

I know this threads going to be quiet now but I want to share an older post about job searches. I found it when I was nervous before the articling interviews. I think it would have been reassuring seeing something like this when I was unsuccessful with the OCIs.  

My heart goes out to everyone still looking. Good luck! You will find something soon :) 

Thanks for sharing my post! Whoever sees it, feel free to DM me about cold applying and job hunting outside of the structured recruitment. My experience might differ, given that I went through the Vancouver recruit and now work in Metro Vancouver, but the strategy would be generally unchanged for Toronto.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

They tend to give you specific feedback. Ask for it, and follow up in a few weeks if you don't hear back.

I did and they responded immediately with the typical "Oh everyone was just great!" response. Oh well. :) Thanks for your help!

2 hours ago, NoobTube said:

should we start a LPP thread? -> seems kind of complicated

Don't lose hope yet :) There will be many opportunities between now and the LPP application deadline. There are quite a few really cool ones up now, like MAG Justice Policy Branch and Toronto Hydro. I'd also highly recommend applying to Iler Campbell if you have any social justice background - they're an amazing firm doing some super interesting work. Kostyniuk & Greenside Lawyers is also a great firm, as is Benson Percival Brown LLP, if you're interested in insurance defence.

Here's what I've got so far to add to what FortifiedEight noted above: *in order of deadline*

-Regional Municipality of Durham - Due: Nov. 13

-Toronto Hydro - Due: Nov. 13

-MAG Justice Policy - Due: Nov. 13

-Benson Percival Brown LLP - Due: Nov. 13 @ 5 p.m.

-Bratty's LLP (Vaughan) - Due: Nov. 27

-Iler Campbell - Due: Jan. 4, 2021 @ 5 p.m.

-Kostyniuk & Greenside Lawyers - Due: Jan. 8, 2021 @ 3 p.m.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FortifiedEight said:

Benson Percival Brown LLP called about interviews this morning.

wow, that's a long time after the application deadline 😂