FortifiedEight

2021-2022 Toronto Articling ITCs

hahahah - wouldn't it be nice if they AT LEAST give a quick call to say:

"hey tubby, we liked the cut of your jib, but we're going with jimbo"

hhaha - 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TorontoJ said:

But as the time drags on it's becoming less and less likely. Has anyone heard from either of the MAG Crown Law Offices - Civil or Criminal?

Crown Law - Criminal went out, they only had 3 spots to give out apparently 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NoobTube said:

hahahah - wouldn't it be nice if they AT LEAST give a quick call to say:

"hey tubby, we liked the cut of your jib, but we're going with jimbo"

hhaha - 

But then imagine the letdown if that was the only call you got? 

In any event, on my call day one firm did call me to let me know they weren’t going to be making an offer, so it happens sometimes. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jervisaf said:

Crown Law - Criminal went out, they only had 3 spots to give out apparently 

What?! Their website said 10!! 😱

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Orientalist said:

What?! Their website said 10!! 😱

There are 10, but that includes summer students that opt to return. This year 7 of the 10 slots were filled by returning summer students.

Edited by LawLads
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LawLads said:

There are 10, but that includes summer students that opt to return. This year 7 of the 10 slots were filled by returning summer students.

Oh, I didn't even think about it. I assumed they all had to compete with the rest of us. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

so pragmatically speaking - what are the options for us "successfully challenged" individuals? look outside of toronto? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NoobTube said:

so pragmatically speaking - what are the options for us "successfully challenged" individuals? look outside of toronto? 

go back in time and drop out ❤️ That's what I'm doing 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NoobTube said:

thinking about the same thing right now. i seems like the one thing that is clear is that there are wayyy too many law student graduate for wayy too few positions. gg ontario for letting ryerson add more students to this mess

• Like 2

Tensions are high everywhere right now. I know a lot of us had our hopes up, and it’s difficult to know exactly when things will work out but keep in mind that we got this close. It means we’re doing something right, we all know that this will be a long road, we’re nearly at the end and it’ll take time but things will pull through. We have to stay positive and keep trying. Good luck to us all! 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, JDJeff said:

Anyone hear from Intact?

I know I’m a bit late on this but for what it’s worth, I did receive an offer which I did ultimately decline.

• Like 2

New lawyer here. I was in your shoes two years ago when I did the articling recruit. I had five interviews and went to the very end with three firms, I was literally the first on the waitlist for one of them. Ultimately I didn't get an offer, and I was as devastated as all of you feel now. I ended up getting a fantastic in-house articling gig that lined up perfectly with my interests. To be fair, I'm still unemployed now 😂 but that's definitely because of COVID and not because I didn't have an excellent articling experience, despite it being very untraditional.

Let yourself be REALLY upset for a couple days, and then start getting creative. Reach out to organizations that don't even post articling positions. Convince them to hire you! Also, follow up with all the firms and lawyers you connected with during this recruit. I still keep in touch with that part of my network because you never know what will happen.

Trust me, things suck right now, but the worst thing you can do is sit back and accept this as a failure.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, NZT said:

That's definitely reassuring but still confusing. Not sure if you can comment on the specifics, but did this happen because this firm(your first choice) gave an offer to another candidate that did not rank them as their first choice?

It seems kinda shady that the student coordinator/lawyer would knowingly give an offer to a candidate who did not use the words "first choice" & at the same time tell another candidate (that they knew said first choice) to hold off an accepting an offer because they "are interested in you". This whole process just seems like a big game right up until they very end

Sorry for the long response time - was respecting the blackout period, then focused on some actual billable work after all this time spent on articling interviews!

Yes, my situation was a case where the firm gave an offer to a candidate that did not consider them to be a first choice.

I disagree that it's shady. Wouldn't you rather have more information than less? I'd want to know if I was still a serious contender for my first choice firm, as opposed to accepting a lower-choice firm and then kicking myself on later receiving an offer I would have preferred. No one can require you to do anything - in my case, when the firm asked me to hold off on accepting another offer (which I actually think was because they were trying to open up an additional articling student spot), the choice as to whether to do so or not was still mine, weighing the information I had available. Plus, the "first choice" words can be important, but they aren't the be all and end all. At my firm, we base offers on how much we like a candidate - saying we're your "first choice" can help, but if we're impressed enough by you, failing to say those words won't keep you from getting an offer. You never know what's going to happen - students try to hedge their bets in the interview process, and so do firms.

• Like 1