FortifiedEight

2021-2022 Toronto Articling ITCs

28 minutes ago, JustHireMeAlready said:

Does anyone know how exactly offer day (tomorrow at 5pm) works? What happens if your second choice calls you exactly at 5pm and you still want to wait to see if your first choice will call? Are you able to "hold" an offer -- or will the place move on to giving the offer to their next best candidate?

https://lso.ca/Becoming-Licensed/Lawyer-Licensing-Process/Articling-Candidates/Finding-a-Placement/2021-22-Articling-Recruitment-Procedures#c-recruitment-by-firms-located-in-toronto-7

"All offers made at or after 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 4, 2020, shall be allowed to remain open until at least 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 5, 2020. Any offers made at or after 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 5, 2020, shall be allowed to remain open for a reasonable period of time."

I guess students technically have 24 hours but looking at other threads it's expected that you make the decision as soon as possible. You can tell the place that gave you an offer that you need to take a few minutes to think about it and then call or email your top choice(s) and see if they have already made their offers.

2 minutes ago, retakelsat said:

https://lso.ca/Becoming-Licensed/Lawyer-Licensing-Process/Articling-Candidates/Finding-a-Placement/2021-22-Articling-Recruitment-Procedures#c-recruitment-by-firms-located-in-toronto-7

"All offers made at or after 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 4, 2020, shall be allowed to remain open until at least 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 5, 2020. Any offers made at or after 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 5, 2020, shall be allowed to remain open for a reasonable period of time."

I guess students technically have 24 hours but looking at other threads it's expected that you make the decision as soon as possible. You can tell the place that gave you an offer that you need to take a few minutes to think about it and then call or email your top choice(s) and see if they have already made their offers.

Thanks so much for your response @retakelsat! I'm guessing the whole process would be over within the hour then? Do you think we should aim to make our decision within, say, a 30-minute time-frame? 

34 minutes ago, JustHireMeAlready said:

Thanks so much for your response @retakelsat! I'm guessing the whole process would be over within the hour then? Do you think we should aim to make our decision within, say, a 30-minute time-frame? 

I'm not too sure about the exact time we should take to make a decision. People recommend thinking about it and ranking firms before 5 so we can make a decision quickly. But don't rush if you are unsure. I think the main problem is if we have an offer but are waiting on a firm that is also waiting on a student to make a decision. That could make it confusing and take a bit longer to sort out. Of course, we don't know what's going to happen tomorrow but having more than 1 offer would be amazing.

Does anyone know what MAG second round interviews are like? Are they as substantive as the 1st one or are they more getting to know you?

10 minutes ago, NoobTube said:

anyone else on the verge of throwing up?

Right there with ya. This is not a pleasant process 😬

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NoobTube said:

anyone else on the verge of throwing up?

Yup. I have not heard back, not even a response to my questions. No idea what's going on. 

5 minutes ago, mazzystar said:

Yup. I have not heard back, not even a response to my questions. No idea what's going on. 

Keep positive!!

im sure they're just busy. 

we're all smart/talented -- and if no one calls at 5, its not the end of the world!

or so i've been repeatedly telling myself lol

Guys, I'm sorry for being so insufferable with my endless questions 😫  but how inappropriate do you think it would be to ask about a firm's articling salary via email? Or say when they call you with an articling offer? I forgot to ask during the interview -- and I just want to make sure that I'm making the most informed decision that I possibly can. 

2 minutes ago, JustHireMeAlready said:

Guys, I'm sorry for being so insufferable with my endless questions 😫  but how inappropriate do you think it would be to ask about a firm's articling salary via email? Or say when they call you with an articling offer? I forgot to ask during the interview -- and I just want to make sure that I'm making the most informed decision that I possibly can. 

I would ask once you get the offer. You don't want to do anything to dissuade them from extending the offer now. You can always decline an offer.

• Like 1

Does anyone know how uncommon it is for the firms not to pay for the lawyer licensing fees? I know the salary of the firm but I didn’t ask about licensing fees. Considering the fees are quite high, it would be ideal if that was part of the whole package. But I don’t want to ask them that directly...

For references these firms are mainly insurance defence/general lit 

Hey Everyone!

I am a foreign educated lawyer who is in the process of my NCA accreditation. I will be able to start articling in the summer of 2021. I missed the regular recruiting period. I am wondering where I would find postings for alternative opportunities that may come up over the coming weeks/months.

2 minutes ago, NCAcandidate said:

Hey Everyone!

I am a foreign educated lawyer who is in the process of my NCA accreditation. I will be able to start articling in the summer of 2021. I missed the regular recruiting period. I am wondering where I would find postings for alternative opportunities that may come up over the coming weeks/months.

The best place in my experience is through my school's career site. You might also find job posts on the regular recruitment websites like indeed and glassdoor, but I know many places don't advertise on these platforms. You might find postings on NALP as well. I'm not sure if ViRecruit only posts for the formal recruit, but t doesn't hurt to check when job searching. Of course this is not an exhaustive list, but these are the places I pay attention to. 

16 hours ago, retakelsat said:

True but what if your top choice calls with an offer after 6 p.m. because a slot opened up due to a rejection and you've already now accepted your 2nd choice because you promised to get back to them asap. What then?

Edited by TorontoJ

5 minutes ago, TorontoJ said:

True but what if your top choice calls with an offer after 6 p.m. because a slot opened up due to a rejection and you've already now accepted your 2nd choice because you promised to get back to them asap. What then?

I was actually wondering the same thing.

The rules stipulate that "Students shall deal with offers received as expeditiously as possible regardless of the stipulated time that the offer shall be allowed to remain open", but how does that make sense if "All offers made at or after 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 4, 2020, shall be allowed to remain open until at least 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 5, 2020."?!?!

10 minutes ago, NZT said:

I was actually wondering the same thing.

The rules stipulate that "Students shall deal with offers received as expeditiously as possible regardless of the stipulated time that the offer shall be allowed to remain open", but how does that make sense if "All offers made at or after 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 4, 2020, shall be allowed to remain open until at least 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 5, 2020."?!?!

So I did the Vancouver recruit and got a call from my 2nd choice right away. I asked them if I could have "a few minutes to make a call" and they agreed. I called my 1st choice, asked if they were going to make me an offer or how high I was on their list, and I made my decision from there. 

I've just started believing that the only call I might be getting between 5 and 6 pm today is one from a CRA scammer lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, nrrrvous said:

So I did the Vancouver recruit and got a call from my 2nd choice right away. I asked them if I could have "a few minutes to make a call" and they agreed. I called my 1st choice, asked if they were going to make me an offer or how high I was on their list, and I made my decision from there. 

That seems like the best approach. How specific was your 1st choice in their answer when you inquired about your position on the list/if there were going to make an offer? I am assuming it was enough to make the decision but I am concerned about hearing a vague "well you are definitely amongst the most competitive applicants we intend to hire" because the firm itself is still waiting to hear back from another candidate doing the exact same thing with another firm.

• Like 1