FortifiedEight

2021-2022 Toronto Articling ITCs

On 10/18/2020 at 8:21 PM, hmyo said:

same principles apply.

If your first interview with a firm is on day 3, you're telling them theyre also not high on your list. 

I've heard of firms cancelling day 3 first interviews with people to bring back people for further interviews. 

I have an interview with one my top choices on Tuesday morning because I could not schedule them in the monday morning/afternoon slot that they had suggested. Would I be doing too much in trying to change one of my monday morning interviews to an earlier time and seeing if their (the firm I scheduled for tuesday) originally suggested time is still open? I want to make sure they don't think I am not interested or don't already find the candidates they want by monday. The problem is I don't even know if either of the firms would have the ability to change the times so I don't want to email them then say nvm original time is fine if the changes don't work out. Am I overthinking or should I try to make the change?

22 minutes ago, samuellevin said:

I have an interview with one my top choices on Tuesday morning because I could not schedule them in the monday morning/afternoon slot that they had suggested. Would I be doing too much in trying to change one of my monday morning interviews to an earlier time and seeing if their (the firm I scheduled for tuesday) originally suggested time is still open? I want to make sure they don't think I am not interested or don't already find the candidates they want by monday. The problem is I don't even know if either of the firms would have the ability to change the times so I don't want to email them then say nvm original time is fine if the changes don't work out. Am I overthinking or should I try to make the change?

If you put that Tuesday top choice firm in the first slot on Tuesday morning, you should be fine. 

On 10/18/2020 at 9:31 AM, bonkers said:

Your transcripts must be god-tier. I read that the cover letter is like the most important thing.

Nope! Perfectly average. I think we hear a lot of things that don't bear fruit in real life.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, FortifiedEight said:

Nope! Perfectly average. I think we hear a lot of things that don't bear fruit in real life.

Well. Legal employers who view thousands of applicants are telling you otherwise. 

So. I suspect you're wrong.

On 10/16/2020 at 5:48 PM, Deadpool said:

Most employers receive a few hundred applications for 1-2 spots in the articling recruit. Unlike the large full-service firms that participate in the OCI recruitment process, the employers in the articling recruit are largely government and mid-sized/small firms and boutiques who only hire 1-3 students and practice in only a few areas of law. Thus, it is important to have a tailored application to stand out. It is not so much as where you went to law school, but rather whether you actually have a demonstrated interest to work there or if you're just sending generalized cover letters everywhere. I know foreign trained law students with significant experience and interest in criminal law or civil litigation who have landed jobs in the articling recruit.  

As usual, Deadpool is spot on.

• Like 1

how many interviews do you think a Firm conducts for 1-2 spots? Especially considering all or most interviews happen in the first day and a half with the rest of the time reserved for second and third interviews? Assume the Firm is mid size-Large. 

• Like 2

On 10/21/2020 at 2:28 PM, JonSnow95 said:

how many interviews do you think a Firm conducts for 1-2 spots? Especially considering all or most interviews happen in the first day and a half with the rest of the time reserved for second and third interviews? Assume the Firm is mid size-Large. 

I've heard a thumb rule that it is about ten interviewees for every spot, but it really depends on the firm and their hiring practices.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, georgecostanzajr said:

I've heard a thumb rule that it is about ten interviewees for every spot, but it really depends on the firm and their hiring practices.

you think this ratio would be lower for a more reputable firm, where they know they’re higher up on most people’s lists? for example, would a small personal injury firm interview more people than say goodmans because they know there’s a much better chance someone turns down an employment offer from them?

Still haven’t heard from some places about interview confirmation. Starting to think I imagined them calling 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What were the different buckets of applicants for this recruit and what percent of the whole would they each represent?

You have your 3L's, NCA candidates - either currently writing exams, finished writing and waiting for results - as well as those who graduated law school this year and haven't yet found an articling spot because of the pandemic or whatever the case may be. Am I missing anyone else? 

3 hours ago, Hamilton94 said:

you think this ratio would be lower for a more reputable firm, where they know they’re higher up on most people’s lists? for example, would a small personal injury firm interview more people than say goodmans because they know there’s a much better chance someone turns down an employment offer from them?

I'm at a small firm in a smaller city. We still interviewed 6 people for 1 position for a summer position that was outside organized recruit. You sometimes need to extend offers to interview to a wider number of people if there is a competition for new talent/targeting people.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Hamilton94 said:

It's less about that than it is about capacity/resources. A small firm will probably interview fewer people because they have fewer lawyers who can be doing interviews, so can only fit so many interviews into the interview period. Large firms have more interviewer resources and have the capacity to have numerous interviews going on at once, plus they want to have the best odds of getting the best candidates, so they typically interview more people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just in case it helps anyone, I got a couple confirmation emails today from MAG Crim and a defence firm. Looks like they're slowly going out.

On 10/22/2020 at 4:51 PM, Hamilton94 said:

That isn't how it works in reality. It is largely a matter of resources as barelylegal mentions. My (relatively) small firm typically receives 100+ apps during 2L OCIs for 2 positions. It was a similar number when we didn't hire until the articling recruit. We usually interview ~10 applicants for each position. 

• Thanks 1

I hope to attend my first (and only) articling interview with the only firm I applied to on Monday morning. It is at one of the larger firms. Can anyone with some biglaw interview experience give a rundown of what to expect and how to prepare (apart from researching the firm, its partners, conveying how badly I wanted to work with them, etc.)? 

PS: This thread has been very helpful. Thanks to everyone who wrote here. 

7 hours ago, HamzasDad said:

I hope to attend my first (and only) articling interview with the only firm I applied to on Monday morning. It is at one of the larger firms. Can anyone with some biglaw interview experience give a rundown of what to expect and how to prepare (apart from researching the firm, its partners, conveying how badly I wanted to work with them, etc.)? 

Be a normal person. Don't come off desperate, it's not attractive and people can smell that a mile away. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, HamzasDad said:

It really depends on the firm.

Some like to ask a few behavioural questions (Describe a time where you faced x challenge and how you responded... Tell us about a good/bad experience you had on a team, etc). These are a waste of everyone’s time, but come up with a few stories so you’re not sitting there with nothing to say. You can often use the same story for a bunch of these questions so don’t worry about trying to imagine every question they could ask. 

Other firms are much more casual and it’s more of a conversation than an interview. 

Thank you @hmyo and @easttowest. Any tips about maintaining eye contact during a Zoom call? Do you recommend directly looking into the camera? Ive been trying to practice doing that all day and am failing miserably. Its just so darn unnatural! 

11 hours ago, HamzasDad said:

Thank you @hmyo and @easttowest. Any tips about maintaining eye contact during a Zoom call? Do you recommend directly looking into the camera? Ive been trying to practice doing that all day and am failing miserably. Its just so darn unnatural! 

I think this will probably be something that no one can answer universally. You could get an interviewer who thinks the lack of eye contact is awkward or something, I don't know. But personally, I'd never dock a candidate for that - I fail at making camera eye contact constantly and would never hold that against someone, it's really difficult if your camera isn't perfectly placed (I work on a huge monitor so my camera is unnaturally high for me to make eye contact, I can't both look at the camera and what's on my screen). I can't really see others docking points for this, but also can't speak for everyone.

• Like 2