FortifiedEight

2021-2022 Toronto Articling ITCs

6 hours ago, Netnet said:

Any updates on whether anyone’s heard from Green and Speigel? And what about Goldblatt Partners? 

I know this is late, but I heard from Goldblatt at 8am.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mazzystar said:

I got a call earlier and was told I'd be emailed more info to schedule and for a writing sample. Still haven't got that email. Anyone else in the same boat? 

I'm still owed a lot of emails, some may take until next week I guess.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BackToTheTdot said:

Thanks. Makes sense. I think I definitely could have tailored my applications to where I was applying more. Will be something to work on for subsequent apps. 

For what it's worth, I sent virtually the same cover letter and resume to all firms, very little tailoring, and got tons of interviews. I'm not sure tailoring is the be-all and end-all to interview success. I think what's more important is applying to firms where they'll know you have a demonstrated interest based on your resume.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FortifiedEight said:

For what it's worth, I sent virtually the same cover letter and resume to all firms, very little tailoring, and got tons of interviews. I'm not sure tailoring is the be-all and end-all to interview success. I think what's more important is applying to firms where they'll know you have a demonstrated interest based on your resume.

I suspect your application was very strong on its own, given your interviews. That can make up for tailoring. But an otherwise average candidate is better tailoring than not tailoring.

• Like 2

I just checked my articling recruit emails. Some of the entities listed in this thread did not reach out to confirm my dates and who I'd be meeting with until 10 days after call dates (pretty big firms too). I had over a dozen articling interviews, so it covers a pretty broad range of entities listed in this thread.  

Relax, if you've had a call with someone, you're on the list, and they will get to you shortly. If they don't and it makes you feel better, you can send a nudge next week, and it would be proper. Don't overthink it.  Everything is going to be fine. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 9:36 PM, FortifiedEight said:

Your transcripts must be god-tier. I read that the cover letter is like the most important thing.

How relevant is the time and day of your interview in the articling recruit? I know in the 2L recruit having a Tuesday noonish or even morning first interview meant you pretty much had zero chances. Is this the same type of idea in articling? Or do they care less about interview time and 2nd/3rd interviews?

7 minutes ago, samuellevin said:

How relevant is the time and day of your interview in the articling recruit? I know in the 2L recruit having a Tuesday noonish or even morning first interview meant you pretty much had zero chances. Is this the same type of idea in articling? Or do they care less about interview time and 2nd/3rd interviews?

same principles apply.

If your first interview with a firm is on day 3, you're telling them theyre also not high on your list. 

I've heard of firms cancelling day 3 first interviews with people to bring back people for further interviews. 

11 hours ago, hmyo said:

same principles apply.

If your first interview with a firm is on day 3, you're telling them theyre also not high on your list. 

I've heard of firms cancelling day 3 first interviews with people to bring back people for further interviews. 

Do you think it applies also to Crown interviews?

Does anyone interviewing with the Ministry of Labour remember what they said the format of the interview was?

1 hour ago, iris101 said:

has anyone received a follow up email from the city of toronto?

Still nothing yet! I’m sure it’ll come soon 💛

44 minutes ago, Shades87 said:

Still nothing yet! I’m sure it’ll come soon 💛

do you think it'll be in person

2 hours ago, iris101 said:

I seriously doubt that. I don't think they would risk it with COVID cases spiking and Toronto being a hot spot. 

22 hours ago, hmyo said:

same principles apply.

does this apply to government offices as well? some of my top choices didn't send itc and called later on so the only slots i had left were for 2nd day... now i'm worried 

2 hours ago, iris101 said:

i'm pretty sure i remember them mentioning on the call that it is through zoom and would be 90 min 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, laws987654321 said:

does this apply to government offices as well? some of my top choices didn't send itc and called later on so the only slots i had left were for 2nd day... now i'm worried 

Government offices don't usually care what day you interview. Not sure about Crown-criminal offices, but most others are entirely score-based. So it doesn't matter if you were first, if you spoke to someone that worked there, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ConfusedLawStudent17 said:

If the timing of the interview matters, is it a good sign being the first interview on the first day, or is this a bad sign? 

It's definitely a good position to be in, especially if you chose that time. I got hired at the firm where I was the first interviewed of the day, both for the first and second interviews. 

Good luck! 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, SassyLaw07 said:

Government offices don't usually care what day you interview. Not sure about Crown-criminal offices, but most others are entirely score-based. So it doesn't matter if you were first, if you spoke to someone that worked there, etc. 

This^

When I was offered an interview by the Treasury Board Secretariat (a gov't entity), the person on the phone said to me straight up they don't mind me putting them on my last day because the interviews are all scored quantitively. Gov't also doesn't care about the first choice game either - because again, they rank everyone by a score and just call from the top down until they fill their slots. 

• Thanks 1