FortifiedEight

2021-2022 Toronto Articling ITCs

Do calls still go out? I'm not really holding out hope at this point since it seems like most calls occur in the morning/early afternoon. 

• Like 1

I know crown interviews are substantive, but does anyone know what the format is for Scarborough crown interviews? I’ve been told each branch does things a little differently. 

57 minutes ago, Netnet said:

Any updates on whether anyone’s heard from Green and Speigel? And what about Goldblatt Partners? 

I have a friend who heard from Green and Speigel earlier today. Not sure about Goldblatt. Good luck ❤️❤️❤️ 

I got a call earlier and was told I'd be emailed more info to schedule and for a writing sample. Still haven't got that email. Anyone else in the same boat? 

Do PFO's go out to everyone who they don't plan on inviting to interviews, or only those that they actually considered, but for whatever reason(s) didn't make the cut? 

43 minutes ago, BackToTheTdot said:

Do PFO's go out to everyone who they don't plan on inviting to interviews, or only those that they actually considered, but for whatever reason(s) didn't make the cut? 

Probably just depends on the firm  

44 minutes ago, BackToTheTdot said:

In my experience most firms just don't sent out the PFOs.

Is it weird to ask a firm why I did not get an interview? I truly thought I had a chance with this firm and did not get offered an interview. Any suggestions on what I can say in the email? I really just want to know where I went wrong with them

7 minutes ago, directioner said:

Is it weird to ask a firm why I did not get an interview? I truly thought I had a chance with this firm and did not get offered an interview. Any suggestions on what I can say in the email? I really just want to know where I went wrong with them

I don’t think this is weird. Maybe wait until the weekend is over and then ask the recruiter for feedback on your application (they likely aren’t going to be fielding emails from other candidates the weekend after Call Day). 

The worst thing that will happen is they won’t reply. The second-worst is they will reply with a non-answer. Beyond that, any reply will likely be helpful.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, directioner said:

Go for it. The worst that can happen is they either just never respond or send you a generic "It was an unusually competitive applicant pool" schtick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shades87 said:

I have a friend who heard from Green and Speigel earlier today. Not sure about Goldblatt. Good luck ❤️❤️❤️ 

Thank you kind soul you as well

As someone who didn't graduate from a Canadian law school (went to the U.S. for law school), can someone put into context how competitive Articling recruit is? 

12 minutes ago, BackToTheTdot said:

As someone who didn't graduate from a Canadian law school (went to the U.S. for law school), can someone put into context how competitive Articling recruit is? 

Most employers receive a few hundred applications for 1-2 spots in the articling recruit. Unlike the large full-service firms that participate in the OCI recruitment process, the employers in the articling recruit are largely government and mid-sized/small firms and boutiques who only hire 1-3 students and practice in only a few areas of law. Thus, it is important to have a tailored application to stand out. It is not so much as where you went to law school, but rather whether you actually have a demonstrated interest to work there or if you're just sending generalized cover letters everywhere. I know foreign trained law students with significant experience and interest in criminal law or civil litigation who have landed jobs in the articling recruit.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, User789 said:

Has anyone received their confirmation email from the City of Toronto Legal Services yet?

I haven’t gotten anything yet. I feel like they’ll probably send them next week 💛

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

Most employers receive a few hundred applications for 1-2 spots in the articling recruit. Unlike the large full-service firms that participate in the OCI recruitment process, the employers in the articling recruit are largely government and mid-sized/small firms and boutiques who only hire 1-3 students and practice in only a few areas of law. Thus, it is important to have a tailored application to stand out. It is not so much as where you went to law school, but rather whether you actually have a demonstrated interest to work there or if you're just sending generalized cover letters everywhere. I know foreign trained law students with significant experience and interest in criminal law or civil litigation who have landed jobs in the articling recruit.  

Thanks. Makes sense. I think I definitely could have tailored my applications to where I was applying more. Will be something to work on for subsequent apps.