FortifiedEight

2021-2022 Toronto Articling ITCs

Hi all,

I didn't see a thread on this and just got my first (OF MANY! I hope :D ) ITC. So here's a thread!

- Zarek Taylor Grossman Hanrahan LLP sent an ITC on September 28, 2020

• Like 1

Same, got the email a few hours ago. 

I'm surprised by how early they sent them given that the deadline was only Friday. But hey, not complaining, at least now I know I'll have a reason to wake up on Oct. 16. 

• Like 1

I think they might have received less applications since they weren't on ViLaw. I didn't even realize they were hiring lol. Whoops.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 1:33 PM, FortifiedEight said:

- Rotfleisch & Samulovitch PC sent an ITC on September 26, 2020

Does anyone know if an Application Confirmation is the same thing as an ITC? 

I received an email confirming my application and stating "The Firm complies with the Law Society of Ontario's (www.lso.ca) guidelines governing the recruitment of Articling students, and we will respond to you in accordance with those guidelines. If you have not already done so, please also visit our website for information on our Student Program." 

Was this likely a generic email sent to everyone? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hs92 said:

I received an email confirming my application and stating "The Firm complies with the Law Society of Ontario's (www.lso.ca) guidelines governing the recruitment of Articling students, and we will respond to you in accordance with those guidelines. If you have not already done so, please also visit our website for information on our Student Program." 

generic. Never heard anyone even THINK this would be an ITC lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, hs92 said:

ITCs will be really clear and unambiguous. Also, some firms will not send ITCs and just call the day of. 

Goodluck with the process! 

• Like 2

This is a stressful process for everyone involved. For many students, this is the first time in their lives that they are going through a structured recruitment process. Many students do not have lawyers in their families or mentors to turn to for advice and guidance. There is a lot of misinformation and falsities spread by law students to other law students. What may seem like a dumb question to one person may be perfectly reasonable to another.

As a lawyer, many times I think the questions 0Ls and law students ask is "dumb" or "misinformed." But then I also think back to when I was in their positions. If you want to be a dick to your peers and colleagues, this attitude will not win you any favours from anyone in a position to help you. The legal profession is small and held to a high standard of conduct.

Smarten up because your attitude on this forum carries over into the real world. 

Edited by Deadpool
  • Like 12

Updated list:

- Rotfleisch & Samulovitch PC sent an ITC on September 26, 2020

- Interac sent an ITC on September 30, 2020

Edited by FortifiedEight
  • Like 1

Updated list:

• Rotfleisch & Samulovitch PC sent an ITC on September 26, 2020
  • Zarek Taylor Grossman Hanrahan LLP sent an ITC on September 28, 2020
  • Interac sent an ITC on September 30, 2020
  • Will Davidson sent ITCs on Oct. 6, 2020
Edited by FortifiedEight
  • Like 2

I'm led to believe that a smaller proportion of Toronto firms send out ITC's during the articling recruit as opposed to during the 2L recruit (and thus a larger proportion simply notify students on call day). Can anyone comment on this?

Edited by Hamilton94
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Hamilton94 said:

I'm led to believe that a smaller proportion of Toronto firms send out ITC's during the articling recruit as opposed to during the 2L recruit (and thus a larger proportion simply notify students on call day). Can anyone comment on this?

Seems to be plenty in last year's thread.

1 hour ago, FortifiedEight said:

Seems to be plenty in last year's thread.

Here is the list and the date on which the ITC or PFO was received for the 2020-2021 recruit last year. Note that the application deadline was July 5, 2019. I excluded Iler Campbell and CaleyWray who are not participating in the official recruit this year.

Alan Gold (by snail mail LOL) 09-Jul-19
Bales Beall  16-Jul-19
Beard Winter  17-Jul-19
Bereskin & Parr   15-Jul-19
Black Sutherland  18-Jul-19
Cavalluzzo 17-Jul-19
City of Toronto 18-Jul-19
Clyde & Co 16-Jul-19
Cooper, Sandler  18-Jul-19
Counter Tax 12-Jul-19
Crown Law Office - Civil   18-Jul-19
Crown Law Office – Criminal 16-Jul-19
Deloitte  - tax 18-Jul-19
DOJ 12-Jul-19
Ecojustice  12-Jul-19
Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario  18-Jul-19
Glaholt  12-Jul-19
Goodmans  11-Jul-19
Greenspan Humphrey Weinstein  15-Jul-19
Hicks Morley 16-Jul-19
Himelfarb Proszanski  18-Jul-19
Innocence Canada 17-Jul-19
Kim Spencer McPhee  15-Jul-19
Lerners  16-Jul-19
Lipman Zener Waxman  18-Jul-19
MAG Justice Policy Branch  17-Jul-19
MAG Treasury Board Secretariat  17-Jul-19
Ministry of Labour 17-Jul-19
Ministry of Transportation  18-Jul-19
MUNERA  17-Jul-19
Office of the Children’s Lawyer 16-Jul-19
Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee (MAG) 18-Jul-19
ONA 16-Jul-19
OSC - Enforcement 17-Jul-19
OSSTF/FEESO 15-Jul-19
PwC 18-Jul-19
Rachlin Wolfson  15-Jul-19
Shibley Righton  16-Jul-19
Smart & Biggar  18-Jul-19
Smockum Zarnett 16-Jul-19
Stevenson Whelton  17-Jul-19
Stikeman 17-Jul-19
Thornton Grout Finnigan  17-Jul-19
Torkin Manes  17-Jul-19
Trianta Longo  15-Jul-19
Waddell Philips  11-Jul-19
Will Davidson  15-Jul-19
Willms & Shier Environmental Lawyers 16-Jul-19
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I understand that there are significantly more applications this year than usual, so ITC/PFO turnaround times may be longer.

Edited by barelylegal
Problems using the quote function!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, barelylegal said:

I understand that there are significantly more applications this year than usual, so ITC/PFO turnaround times may be longer.

Can you please explain how you know this? More applications for fewer postings is a bad formula lol 😕

53 minutes ago, JonSnow95 said:

Can you please explain how you know this? More applications for fewer postings is a bad formula lol 😕

My guess is a combination of the fact that many students who already graduated don't have articling gigs and are trying again for next year, and that there are far fewer opportunities than usual in many of the articling markets.

3 minutes ago, FortifiedEight said:

My guess is a combination of the fact that many students who already graduated don't have articling gigs and are trying again for next year, and that there are far fewer opportunities than usual in many of the articling markets.

There will also be more NCA candidates and LLM students participating in this recruit. I've received many requests on LinkedIn from this group inquiring about articling opportunities. 

• Like 1