culitigator

Reference Letters

Hi everyone, 

Queen's asks for a minimum of one academic reference and a max of 3 references altogether. Is it considered a weakness to have only 2 letters (1 professional, 1 academic)? I have a second academic reference I could use, but I think her letter will be slightly weaker than the other two and I don't want that to hurt my application. Thoughts?

I only had two referees and I got in. I wouldn't provide three just for the sake of having three. If your two referees can speak to your character and strengths and you don't think that a third referee will strengthen your application even more, than stick with the two.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2020 at 9:36 AM, culitigator said:

Hi everyone, 

Queen's asks for a minimum of one academic reference and a max of 3 references altogether. Is it considered a weakness to have only 2 letters (1 professional, 1 academic)? I have a second academic reference I could use, but I think her letter will be slightly weaker than the other two and I don't want that to hurt my application. Thoughts?

As far as admissions go, academic references are stronger than professional. I highly suggest having 2 strong academic references only, because most, if not all schools look at either both references (if you submitted only two academic) or pick 2 randomly (if you submitted 3 references. Essentially, if you have and submit only 2 very strong academic references you'll know for sure that the admissions team will look them both over. Don't submit 3 unless they're all equally as strong, in which case it would still be redundant to submit 3 letters. As far as I know, Windsor is the only school that requires one non-academic letter of reference. But even then, I would still submit ONLY 2 strong academic references, and UWin will reach out to you to submit another non-academic reference, and you'll have the option on OLSAS to only submit that letter to UWin, so that other schools won't see it. 

TL;DR - just submit two strong academic references. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mjabal said:

As far as admissions go, academic references are stronger than professional. I highly suggest having 2 strong academic references only, because most, if not all schools look at either both references (if you submitted only two academic) or pick 2 randomly (if you submitted 3 references. Essentially, if you have and submit only 2 very strong academic references you'll know for sure that the admissions team will look them both over. Don't submit 3 unless they're all equally as strong, in which case it would still be redundant to submit 3 letters. As far as I know, Windsor is the only school that requires one non-academic letter of reference. But even then, I would still submit ONLY 2 strong academic references, and UWin will reach out to you to submit another non-academic reference, and you'll have the option on OLSAS to only submit that letter to UWin, so that other schools won't see it. 

TL;DR - just submit two strong academic references. 

Can someone confirm if this is true? I don't mean to be skeptical but on every website (apart from dal) they say minimum one academic and the other can be professional so I just assumed the professional would be valued equally. My professional will be very strong and will really help to solidify my "story" and my aptitude for the kind of law I want to do.

I've never heard of this info before and now I'm panicking lol 

2 hours ago, culitigator said:

Can someone confirm if this is true? I don't mean to be skeptical but on every website (apart from dal) they say minimum one academic and the other can be professional so I just assumed the professional would be valued equally. My professional will be very strong and will really help to solidify my "story" and my aptitude for the kind of law I want to do.

I've never heard of this info before and now I'm panicking lol 

Don't panic. Obviously I'm not involved in admissions but I can't imagine a situation where an admissions committee would view your second reference in a lower regard simply because it is professional. That's ridiculous.

On 9/27/2020 at 9:36 AM, culitigator said:

Hi everyone, 

I only had 2 and I got in. Best of luck to you!

• Thanks 1

On 9/29/2020 at 1:10 AM, mjabal said:

UWin will reach out to you to submit another non-academic reference, and you'll have the option on OLSAS to only submit that letter to UWin, so that other schools won't see it.

@mjabal This is interesting. Have you experienced this, or do you know this for a fact? That Windsor would reach out to you if you haven't submitted a non-academic reference and that you could then submit one specifically for them?

On 10/23/2020 at 8:30 PM, Musashi said:

@mjabal This is interesting. Have you experienced this, or do you know this for a fact? That Windsor would reach out to you if you haven't submitted a non-academic reference and that you could then submit one specifically for them?

yes this happened to me. I didn't want to include 3 references when i applied because i had 2 outstanding academic references, and one "meh" non academic reference. They reached out to me around december and asked if i could submit a non-academic ref. I submitted it separately in "SAM" to windsor only and i was accepted around late feb/ early march

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ilovedogs said:

Do you think having 1 great reference is adequate? It seems like everyone has a minimum of 2 but they only require 1. 

I'm pretty sure every school has a minimum of 2 reference letters 

20 hours ago, mjabal said:

yes this happened to me. I didn't want to include 3 references when i applied because i had 2 outstanding academic references, and one "meh" non academic reference. They reached out to me around december and asked if i could submit a non-academic ref. I submitted it separately in "SAM" to windsor only and i was accepted around late feb/ early march

@mjabal Great thanks for sharing this info.

5 hours ago, culitigator said:

I'm pretty sure every school has a minimum of 2 reference letters 

queen’s only requires one reference letter. i was accepted in the 2018-19 cycle with one probably-mediocre reference letter (from an undergrad professor who taught me), but my other stats were also quite a bit above their standards, so probably wasn’t too heavily weighted. 

Edited by subwaysandwich
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, subwaysandwich said:

queen’s only requires one reference letter. i was accepted in the 2018-19 cycle with one probably-mediocre reference letter (from an undergrad professor who taught me), but my other stats were also quite a bit of their standards, so probably wasn’t too heavily weighted. 

oh yes that is true, my bad. i think queens is one of (if not the) only school which only asks for one though 

On 10/26/2020 at 4:11 PM, mjabal said:

Did you graduate uni in the last three years before applying? Just wondering because from what it says on their website I was under the impression that if you were a recent graduate then 2 academic references were okay since it says "at least one academic" but I might have misunderstood. 

"Two (2) letters of reference (one academic and one non-academic)* on the forms specifically provided for this purpose

*Each applicant is required to submit two letters of reference. Those applicants who have attended a post-secondary institution during the three years prior to the application are required to submit at least one academic reference. "

19 hours ago, SoIWantToBeALawyer said:

Did you graduate uni in the last three years before applying? Just wondering because from what it says on their website I was under the impression that if you were a recent graduate then 2 academic references were okay since it says "at least one academic" but I might have misunderstood. 

"Two (2) letters of reference (one academic and one non-academic)* on the forms specifically provided for this purpose

*Each applicant is required to submit two letters of reference. Those applicants who have attended a post-secondary institution during the three years prior to the application are required to submit at least one academic reference. "

yes i finished my undergrad in 2019 i only submitted 2 academic refs for all unis, except when i sent one non academic to windsor only when i applied.